October 2011 Moms

I think Gavin has the chicken pox. *Updated with PIP*

This boy has been sick so much! He stared with a low fever last night around 100. This morning it was 101 and we started noticing small red bumps that look like pimples on his arms, legs, butt, and genitals. They said Hand Foot and Mouth disease is going around daycare, but he has no spots on the palms of his hands or soles of his feet or mouth yet. By the time we really noticed that the bumps were different from the usual eczema it was too late to be seen by pedi today but we are going to try to be seen tomorrow morning. The spots are definitely getting bigger and it looks like some have burst open :-/
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: I think Gavin has the chicken pox. *Updated with PIP*

• I would still put my money on H, F & M. When we got it, E had most of her bumps around her butt and diaper area. In fact. I don't remember any bumps on the soles of the feet and palms of the hands. They were mostly on her but, wrists/forearms, and ankles. 

The bumps look almost exactly like chicken pix - only they're restricted to certain areas of the body. In contrast, pox will appear all over the body and I think they usually appear first on the abdomen.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Hmm thanks for the input. I tried to read online and it said H F & M would look more like blisters primarily on those specific areas (palms and soles) and his spots are all over. But good to know, maybe it is hand foot and mouth.
  • Loading the player...
  • If HF&M is going around daycare I would say that's probably what it is too. DD just got this and has bumps all over she has some on her hands and feet but they started on her knees and arms and have spread from there. The fever sounds like what we had too. It got as high as 101.5 but never higher and we gave her a little bit of Tylenol to help with that as was needed. 
  • nic326nic326 member
    Do they look like pimples kind of? DS had this a week ago and they prescribed a topical antibiotic and it cleared them right up
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagenic326:
    Do they look like pimples kind of? DS had this a week ago and they prescribed a topical antibiotic and it cleared them right up

They started out looking like small pimples, but they got bigger throughout the day and started to burst open. They are all over his arms, legs, face (not mouth), butt, and scrotum. He has one on the palm on one hand, and that's it! None on his feet, none in his mouth. It very well may be HF&M I just thought that's where the sores would have been if it was that... We'll see what pedi says tomorrow morning. 

BTW I've read mixed things on whether or not you have to keep LO out of daycare with HF&M. If anyone has BTDT what did you do? 

• Darcy had HF&M a few weeks ago and never got any sores in her mouth or on the palms of her hands. She had blisters on the tops of her hands, her feet near the ankles, and on her arms and legs. I think she had some on her butt that we originally mistook for diaper rash. The pedi said that she only had to stay home if she had a fever. When DH mentioned it to the daycare they told us the same thing.  

• P had both chicken pox and HF&M (not at the same time). Chicken pox started on her belly and spread from there. She had a mild case, but they were pretty much all over (except her mouth). There is a 14 day incubation period with chicken pox, so he would've been exposed 2 weeks ago. There are many different strands of coxsackie...some are more confined to the hands, feet, and mouth while others can be all over. If you haven't heard reports of chicken pox from day care, it's likely coxsackie. When P had coxsackie, she had a fever so we kept her out of day care for 2 days.

Good luck and I hope he feels better! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • That is terrible, Nicki! I am sorry :(

How is your little guy today? Does he have HF&M or Chicken Pox?

• imageBrie2006:

That is terrible, Nicki! I am sorry :(

How is your little guy today? Does he have HF&M or Chicken Pox?

Aw thanks for asking. We took him to the doctor's yesterday and I was wrong, they did say it's HF&M. This boy is COVERED in spots/blisters everywhere except his back and chest/belly. My poor boy. He so looks like he has the chicken pox. He has been a trooper for the most part but I can tell he's uncomfortable. Fussy and can't sleep very well. Doctor said he could go to daycare since he's not contagious anymore, but I decided to keep him home since he has so many open sores and seems so uncomfortable. At least I am getting a couple days home with him! New spots are still appearing so I don't know how long it will take for him to get better. 

Here is a pic of his leg -- 

• I'm glad you're keeping him home. When DD had HFMD, the pedi said that as long as she has open sores, she is still contagious.The virus is passed through the fluid in the sores, and saliva.

I hope he is on the mend quickly.

My Chart

My Life

BFP 7.7.09 - CVS 9.10.09 (Girl) - 9.24.09 Severe Fatal Malformation - D&E 10.7.09 @ 17wks
    BFP 6.1.10 - 6.10.10 Ectopic M/C @ 5wks
    BFP 10.26.10 - 10.29.10 CP
    BFP 1.30.11 - CVS 3.28.11 (Girl) - EDD 10.11.11 - Born 10.6.11
    BFP 12.18.12 - 12.20.12 CP
    BFP 3.18.13 - CVS 5.21.13 (Girl) - EDD 12.2.13 - Born 11.24.13
    BFP 6.10.14 - CVS 7.2.14 (Girl) - EDD 1.12.15 - Born sleeping 8.6.14 @ 17w5d
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"