January 2013 Moms

is swimming in a lake ok?

My doctor told me to keep up my normal excercise and that walking and swimming were both good.  I never asked about a lake?  We are going up north tomorrow and I had planned to spend most of the day in the water!   Has anyone heard anything bad about a lake?

Re: is swimming in a lake ok?

• I think it would depend on the lake.  If it ever gets closed for having high bacteria levels, I would stay out of it.  When I was pregnant with my daughter, I lived on Lake Erie and went ahead and went in the water.  I didn't even put my head under.  I ended up getting a nasty sinus infection.  I thought it was just a coincidence, but I went in the water again and got a sinus infection again.  Our part of the lake constantly gets closed because the bacteria levels are too high, and sometimes it's recommended that children and the elderly don't go in.  They should extend it to pregnant women.  But living on the lake, no one ever said anything to me about staying out of it.
  • erkieerkie member

I live in Michigan. I've been swimming in inland lakes, rivers and lake Michigan so far this summer. I saw the post below, but my doctor never said anything about where not to swim. I have no qualms about swimming in places I would normally swim. In fact, I'm walking down to our neighborhood beach on the bay shortly and plan to go out on the boat with my parents later tonight on an inland lake....

I just would avoid places known for pollution ;) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • As long as it's a lake that hasn't been closed for pollution, my doctor said it's completely fine. Same goes for rivers and the oceans.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagejtdn0607:
    I think it would depend on the lake.  If it ever gets closed for having high bacteria levels, I would stay out of it.  When I was pregnant with my daughter, I lived on Lake Erie and went ahead and went in the water.  I didn't even put my head under.  I ended up getting a nasty sinus infection.  I thought it was just a coincidence, but I went in the water again and got a sinus infection again.  Our part of the lake constantly gets closed because the bacteria levels are too high, and sometimes it's recommended that children and the elderly don't go in.  They should extend it to pregnant women.  But living on the lake, no one ever said anything to me about staying out of it.

Honest to God, I had no idea they closed down lakes. I guess we don't have that too much around here. I was in the lake for a couple hours today and it was freaking awesome in this heat. Hope you all are staying cool!

nataliepic350 photo nataliepic350.jpg photo 099_zps0c6fc5c8.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was swimming in ponds until the day I had to be induced (at over 41 weeks). I always heard that it was fine until your water breaks (increases risk for infection). Toward the end, if you have a slow leak, I was told that you should avoid swimming.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My doctor told me its not worth the risk.  I live by lake Erie and with the high temps the beaches are always closing because of bacteria.  He told me all it takes is a small cut or scratch and bacteria can enter your system.  I'm clumsy I always have a mark on me somewhere to me its just not worth it.  Lakes and ponds can really harbor some gross things but always ask your dr it depends on where you are swimming too like I mentioned above lake Erie is always closing their beaches in these high temps some places might be fine.   

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"