Success after IF

How many embryos did you transfer?

Just curious to know how many embryos you transferred in your cycle, and what drove your decision?

I'm probably doing my ER sometime next week and am just contemplating how many to transfer (assuming I have more than one to transfer, of course). Thank you! 

My Food Blog - Dinner Delish
TTC since Oct '09
Missed miscarriage 3/24/10 @ 16 wks, Partial Molar Pregnancy
Began our IF journey in May '11
Asherman's Diagnosis (cervical & uterine scarring) - Surgery 8/17/11
IUIs #1-#5 & 1 canceled IUI, IVF #1, 2 FETs - all BFN
IVF# 2 December '12, BFP 1/13! EDD 9/21 
Complete Previa and Short Cervix. C-section scheduled for 9/3
Delivered 8/5 @ 33 weeks, 4lbs, 6oz. 
4-week NICU stay, home 9/3

Re: How many embryos did you transfer?

• We transferred 2 each time when trying to conceive DS; we wanted to increase our odds and were ok with the possibility of twins.  We did not want to transfer more because we are MFI and I don't have any fertility issues myself, so our odds were good.  I actually don't think they would have let us transfer more than 2 anyway.

The first time, neither stuck.  The second time, 1 stuck. 

DS (7 years old) from FET in 2010
    DD (5 years old) from IUI in 2012
    TTC 3rd and final!: IUI #1 in progress!
  • We transferred two medium-grade blasts and both stuck. Our doctor recommended it and we were more than okay with the possibility of both sticking. 
    Twin boys due 7/25/12
  • Loading the player...
  • We transfered 2 because it was our second go around. Our docs recommend one because they were a good grade, and because twins are so high risk. We were ready to accept the risks of twins, even though I was nervous. I got pregnant with a singleton & my REI was so happy, telling me this was his goal. Good luck deciding.
    TTC since 1/2008
    BFP 7/2009 m/c
    BFP 9/2009 m/c
    Clomid IUI 12/2010, 1/2011, 2/2011 All BFN
    IVF #1 6/2011 BFN, no frosties
    IVF #2 2/2012 BFP
    DD born 10/2012
    FET 9/3/2013 BFN, no more frosties
    IVF # 3 11/3/13 Canceled after retrieval d/t severe OHSS, 3 frosties
    FET #3 2/2014 BFP Twins!
    B/G Twins born 9/2014 at 36w4d

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• We transferred the only 3 we had. We transerred 3 because they were so poor (we are mfi, I have no know problems). I got pregnant with twins and on vanished. I have one beautiful little girl from that cycle:)
    For DD - IVF/ICSI #1 - BFP / For DS - dIUI #1 - BFP Dx:severe MFI-Y Chromosome Microdeletion Isabel born 10-15-08! / Baby Boy EDD July 2013 imageLily  pie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • My RE always suggests transferring 2 for better odds. He actually thought with my age at the time (24) and having been pregnant before that both would take for us (scary but we were ok with it) but we only ended up having 1 stick.
  • Just one day 5 blast. Our clinic has almost exactly the same success rate when transferring 1 blast versus 2. We did not want twins.
    Sept. 2010: IVF #1= BFP; May 2012: FET #1= blighted ovum, D&C; FET #2= ?? Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We transferred 3 because of my age (34) and the fact that we were using thawed sperm...dh is azoo. We got one beautiful, amazing daughter!
  • lp2006lp2006 member
    At my center they recommend up to three for my age, 38-40. We transferred 3 high quality embryos, 3 day transfer. I did not want multiples. Only one stuck and I'm so thankful we transferred all three. 
  • Single transfer.  Our clinic strongly recommends single transfers and they have excellent success rates.  Our RE explained that two embryos don't always increase your chances greatly because then you have 2 embies fighting for the best implantation spot.  Not scientific evidence, but it made sense to us.  We also had one excellent hatching embryo, so that sealed the deal for us.

imageimage
    2 years, 2 surgeries, 2 clomid fails, 2 IUIs, 1 loss, IVF #1 - 10/25/10 = BFP!, DS is now 3.5yrs!
    TTC #2 - 6/12 surgery #3, FET #1 & 1.2 = BFN, 12/2012 FET #2 = BFP! DD is 1.5 yrs!
    Surprise! 12/16/14 BFP, loss #2 12/31/14

I can't wait for the "im getting a divorce" post in 5 years or so because your husbands were fed up with your disgusting chair asses from playing on the knot all day and getting fired 4-5 times for not doing any work. you guys are all winners!! ~ Laur929

• we transferred 2 good quality 5 day blasts, one was an expanded blast....and we ended up with only 1 sticking....we will be transferring 2 day 6 blasts with my fet due to the fact that only 1 stuck last time and these will be lower quality embryos
    1 chemical and 1 loss at 9 weeks prior to DS
    IVF #1 1/10-transfered 2 blasts- DS born 10/2010

Trying for # 2 since 2012.  2 failed FETS 1 failed IUI.
    IUI#2 4/14/14-- BFP !!!!! Beta #1 14dpiui= 45 Beta #2 16dpiui= 80  Beta #3 18dpiui= 88 (chemical pregnancy)
    March 2015- Chemical pg

1/25/16- BFP  Beta1 12dpo = 17, Beta 2 14 dpo = 28.. resulted in one beautiful boy born 9/21/16 :)

Now I'm a stay at home loving life and pursuing my love of photography!!!
  • We did IVF/iCSI twice. We did preimplantation genetic screening both times (first time due to my age (36) and hoping to increase the chance of pregnancy by transferring a chromosomally normal embryo (and therefore decreasing the chance of a m/c), second time because of the results on the first go around). Each time we only had one chromosomally normal embryo so we had no choice. The first one didn't take it the second one did (the second cycle was done with frozen sperm).

The second time my RE actually suggested to bag the genetic screening and just to transfer two of the best looking embryos (and do a fresh transfer rather than frozen). We decided against that. The second genetic screen came back with one normal embryo, 4 abnormals and 1 unknown. RE offered  to transfer the normal and unknown one but we opted to have the unknown one redone but in the mean time we just transferred the one normal and that one took. The unknown came back as abnormal the second time.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My RE is super conservative, but we transferred 4!  They were poor quality and he saw it as my only chance since I didn't respond too well to stims.  Out of the 4, one stuck, and he will be celebrating his 1st birthday in 2 weeks!  Good luck to you!
  • IVF #1 Transferred 2 = DD

IVF #2 Transferred 2 = 1 LO

My thought process was if I am going to go through this whole process (stress, drugs, money) I want the best bet.  With #2 we were nervous about the chances of twins but it was a gamble we were willing to take since we knew this would be the last chance of IVF.

GL

• Transferred a grade B and a grade C on our first IVF/ICSI.  Both took and we have twins turning 4 in a month.  We were totally excited about possibly having twins so transferring 2 was an easy decision for us. 
  • We are first time IVF, and we transfered 2.  I'm 11wks and both took.  We did not have any to reach blatocyst to freeze.  So, with my age (41) this is it for me.  I was diagnosed with premature menopause 3 years ago.  We started IVF 2 years ago and finally got to do the first transfer in May.  Still early and still thanking God and praying every day. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"