October 2011 Moms
Options

probably a ridiculous q re: reading to LO

So I'm trying to make a concerted effort to read more to Wes. Problem is, he is obsessed with puttting everything in his mouth and biting it. So the minute I open a book, he's grabbing at it and trying to eat it, which is pretty much a complete impediment to storytime. Any ideas on how to overcome this issue? Even if I were to only use vinyl books, Mr. Grabhands would still be trying to snatched the book away from me.
July 20th, 2012: Never forget the day the fb douchebags tried so hard, but ultimately failed. Viva la October 2011! Yeah, I called you douchebags.

BFP 1/18/11, EDD 10/1/11. Born at 37w5d on 9/15/11. AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

***BFP Chart***

"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning.

Re: probably a ridiculous q re: reading to LO

• Options
    Neither of my kids had any interest in being read to at this age. I just talked about the picture in simple terms until they became uninterested. Even at 5 E doesn't want to be read to. He likes to make up stories and dialogue based on the pictures but he'll skip pages or close the book before it's done. I usually just make up stories to tell them instead.
  • Options
    nic326nic326 member
    I am not concerned at this point about readng to DS2 either. He only eats books, doesnt want to read them or look at pictures
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    L only likes being read to when she's tired. We've incorporated reading into our nap time routine. It's her transition cue that it's time to settle down. If I try to read to her during normal playtime, shes usually too busy and will grab at the book or shut it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I read a couple stories before nap time and we have reading time after dinner before bed. And I will read at any point if DD asks me to read to her during the day.  If DS is awake and wants to listen then he does, if he wants to just sit and play then he does. At this age they don't need to sit and pay attention to you or to the book--you can read to them while they are playing with other toys, it is still good for them to hear you reading. 
    photo IMG_3757_zps3e266e57.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker "Sometimes I am two people. Johnny is the nice one. Cash causes all the trouble. They fight." - Johnny Cash
  • Options
    She has to be in the mood.  I'll usually try sometime during the day, and if she just lunges for the book, she can have it and we'll do something else.  She does enjoy Goodnight Moon at bedtime, but I've read that thing so many times I don't even break out the book anymore.  I just recite it, and she likes that.
  • Options

N used to do this too so I would give him a different book to chew on, while I read.  Now we read about 20 books a day.  He gets 3-4 books per nap/bed time and is still on 3 naps most days.  Throughout the day, he will climb into my lap and I will read him as many books as he will sit through and has even learned how to turn the pages when we are laying down in bed.  I think it was a combination of giving him one to chew on while I read, reading consistantly throughout the day, finding books he likes (KEY), and having books *everywhere* in our house.  He has shelves of books scattered throughout almost all of the rooms (including tub books).  The English major in me thinks it's fantastic but the other part of me thinks it's strange I can hold his attention for so long..  Everyone has something to worry about ;)  

Maybe Wes isn't into the pictures of the books you are reading?  N won't sit still for busy or lacking illustrations.

N loves animals (Brown Bear, The Very Busy Spider,  The Going to Bed Book) and laughs his butt off when I read 'Llama Llama Red Pajama'  He thinks Baby Llama's eyes are hilarious (if you get this book, and I totally recommend it, get the hardcover book.  I ordered the board books via Amazon and am returning them.  They just came in today but the illustrator is different and are poorly written.  There is no way they will hold his interest).  He likes 'I love you goodnight', the box set of 'Bright Baby' books (animals), I took the moon for a walk, I love you through and through, If kisses were colors, the Yummy Tummy series, Whooo loves you?, On Mama's Lap, Mama do you love me?, Don't let the Pigeon Drive the Bus, The First Egg, The Lonely Firefly, The Hungry Caterpillar, The Napping House, The kissing hand, if you give a mouse a cookie, please baby please

He doesn't like: Dr Seuss, Curious George, Goodnight Moon, yummy yucky, Today I feel Silly (and many, many more)  

I raided Borders when it was going out of business and got hundreds of books for N for almost nothing (which explains why we have books all over the house) A good place to look is Amazon.  You can buy 'like new' used books for super cheap.

I've found the pictures and the rhythm are key. Good luck and don't get frustrated!  If you love reading, Wes will too.  Also, we don't turn on the TV until he is in bed.  Not because we are against him watching, we just don't watch TV.  So he doesn't know anything but real life and books.  It might be a factor in how interested he is in the pictures.  He laughs at expression changes and really scans all the words and pictures while I read.  It's fascinating but again, he wasn't always this way :)  Good luck!

ETA: the first books he showed interest in were 'Bath time Peekaboo!' and Mommy, Mama, and Me (which you could read Wes for a little diversity ;) 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm glad to have read these posts.  I've been going to infant story time at 2 different libraries lately.  All of the babies are in the 6-11 month range.  DD is the only baby eating all of the books that the librarian is having us read with her.  I haven't understood if they have trained (somehow!) their children not to eat books but if they have, they need to help me.  Because she chews on everything!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage
  • Options
    I give my DS his own book to chew on while I read one to him. Works like a charm 
  • Options

imagelisajay09:
    Better to let them explore the book, try to figure out how to turn pages, lift flaps if they have them, talk about pictures but reading a story is hit or miss. 

L has started loving her books, so I leave out the ones that can't be destroyed easily like board books and the ones that play music.  She has her own shelf on the bookcase and she likes to pull them out and turn the pages.  I do try to take them away if I catch her eating them just so she doesn't get into the habit.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"