Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Adding Formula

What changes can I expect when adding formula?  LO wouldnt latch, so I have been pumping. She is about 3 months and 1 week now and I can already see a drop in my supply.  I am back to work now, for a little while anyway (decided to stay at home) and I was wondering what changes I can expect to see when adding formula to suppliment when I dont have enough for LO.  TIA!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Adding Formula

• I'm in the same exact situation. I was EBF until LO went on a nursing strike for two weeks at 3 mo. I've been EPing ever since and supplimenting with my friend's frozen stash. My supply dropped from 33 oz/day (I used to do weighed feedings) to 13 oz a day even with a hospital grade pump. I still have some frozen milk for the next couple of weeks and then planning to suppliment with gerber good start gentle. I tried giving him some this week and he made a face and refused to take it. I then mixed it oz to oz with bm and he took it reluctantly. He usually poops like 4-5 times a day and the next day he only went once toward evening. This is all from just one oz. I think the key is to introduce it very slowly so their digestive system adjusts.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • You may run into some stomach issues with your LO and you may have to try different formulas to find the right one. Or you may run into no issues, it depends on your LO! I added some formula at night for my DS and I went through 3 brands bc he had gas, his poops were very greenish brown and runny, he seemed uncomfortable... And that was only after 4oz of formula and the rest of the day he was EBF! Some babies are fine with a regular brands. It depends. GL!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • anyancanyanc member
    I started to supplement with formula for one feeding just before her bedtime at 3 months. I returned to work three weeks ago, and it became apparent we must supplement because my freezer stash was dropping instead of increasing. And she has a very strong appetite! Haven't noticed any changes in her behavior or poops yet...maybe just  a bit stinkier, but she seems to be handling it well. Im hoping to keep formula for one feeding pay day max, but then again, I was set on exclusive breastfeeding...here I am supplementing!
    TTC baby #2 since September 2013!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I give my LO breastmilk during the day and one bottle of formula at night. Once I introduced the formula at night it allows me to stock up by waking up twice in the night to pump. Lets just say the first time I introduced formula my baby slept the whole night = 6 hours. Now I add a little cereal to her formula bottle at at 3 1/2 months she sleeps about 10-12 hours a night . This allows me to store breastmilk for the following day.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"