July 2012 Moms

cough just b4 csection- any nurses here?

Hi! About a week ago I had a bad dry cough. The muscles in my belly were sore from coughing. It seemed to go away a couple days ago as did the soreness, I thought I was in the clear!

Today its back, but Im now coughing up phlegm (thick green, sorry for grossness). its not a lot, maybe just a couple times an hour. My concern is that I have a csection in 10 days! Can you imagine a cough with a fresh incision, ouch!

If there are any nurse mommies here.....will the cough go away on own, what are signs that I need to go to dr for cough, how long does a cough usually last, is it a good sign I'm coughing up phlegm? Any info is greatly appreciated!

Re: cough just b4 csection- any nurses here?

• oncoRNoncoRN member
    I would see your primary doc, only because you're saying it's thick and green-- could indicate bacterial respiratory infection instead of viral, which you may need an antibiotic to clear up if that's the case!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • zyaszyas member
    I'm not a nurse but I would think if you're coughing up thick green phlem then there might be some sort of infection going on. I'd go see or at least call your dr. They might need to put you on antibiotics and you probably want to start that as soon as possible. Yes, big OUCH - thinking about coughing after a c-section!
  • Loading the player...
  • I had a horrible cough between weeks 34 and 36. My allergies turned into a cold that went to my chest. It was miserable, and I didn't sleep for a week.

Well, a couple days before 38 weeks my allergies came back and my cough was returning too. I talked to my midwife because I was terrified of not sleeping, not breathing properly, and going into labor and delivery in bad shape. I'm on antibiotics now (for only the second time in my adult life). My lungs feel the best they have in a month! Honestly, I think they never healed properly the first time around.

If I were you, I'd call your doctor or midwife. This late in the game it's not worth toughing things out.

Mommy to N (3), J (2), and C (10 months). LO4 is due in mid-September.
  • I'm actually a recovery room nurse (not for L&D). My concern would be a possible respiratory infection. I would recommend seeing your primary asap. I would worry about the possibility (although a small one) that you might need to be intubated with your c-section. You really need to get this taken care of, not just for your comfort, but your safety. Plus who wants to be coughing with a fresh abdominal incision?! Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"