Toddlers: 24 Months+

RP: Anyone bypass infant carrier and go straight to convertible with newborn?

I have been going over the possibilities for 3 across in my car and last night I stumbled upon and idea I hadn't thought of yet. I could put the newborn in a radian xrt instead of an infant carrier. I plan to mostly baby wear with this baby and my only real concern would be getting the baby in and out of the car without waking him/her up. The thought of buying just one seat that should last at least until age 3-4 sounds amazing to me. Has anyone done this? Pros and cons? TIA!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: RP: Anyone bypass infant carrier and go straight to convertible with newborn?

• It is safer to have them in the smaller seat, but you have to what you have to do to have 3 seats installed correctly.  I would think that part would out weight the smaller seat part.  DS2 never slept though getting moved in his infant seat anyway.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imageBrewtowngrl:
    It is safer to have them in the smaller seat, but you have to what you have to do to have 3 seats installed correctly.  I would think that part would out weight the smaller seat part.  DS2 never slept though getting moved in his infant seat anyway.  
    I can fit 3 across with an infant seat or a radian, just thinking if I'm eventually going to have LO in a radian I should just invest in it now and pass up the carrier. Everything I've read says it hasn't been proven carriers are safer than convertible seats... it's just a matter of a newborn fitting correctly. My kids were both pretty big 8lb14oz and 9lb15oz at birth, so I'm thinking this shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for the feedback, DS never really stayed asleep in the carrier either.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • As long as the seat fits the newborn correctly, it would be fine. I'm not understanding the pp saying that it isn't as safe.
  • We used the convertable in DH's truck enem when LO was a new born. It wasn't our everyday car but it worked when we did use it. It came with an infant insert and head rest so it was safe. As long as all 3 seats are installed properly, I would assume it would be safe.

A kiss he will never forget- Disney World 2014

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• I did with DD.  I wore her all the time and never really used a stroller and I couldn't carry the infant carrier with her in it by hand that easily (I'm a weakling).  She was pretty good about transitioning back to sleep after I transferred her.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagestdldb29:
    As long as the seat fits the newborn correctly, it would be fine. I'm not understanding the pp saying that it isn't as safe.

Some newborns are too small to fit correctly in a convertible seat. My girls were tiny and would not have been tall enough for the shoulder straps to be at or below their shoulders in most convertible seats, which is where they need to be for rearfacing. Our infant seat had lower slots of the harness, so the straps were at the correct height. 

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagememali26:

imagestdldb29:
    As long as the seat fits the newborn correctly, it would be fine. I'm not understanding the pp saying that it isn't as safe.

Some newborns are too small to fit correctly in a convertible seat. My girls were tiny and would not have been tall enough for the shoulder straps to be at or below their shoulders in most convertible seats, which is where they need to be for rearfacing. Our infant seat had lower slots of the harness, so the straps were at the correct height. 

Right, but as long as the seat fits the newborn correctly, wouldn't it be just as safe as a bucket seat? 

• The radian has pretty low bottom harness straps, so it's known for fitting many newborns very well. As long as you don't think you'll miss the carrier (I'm not personally a huge fan of the carriers, my kids both screamed nonstop in it) there's absolutely no reason not to go straight to a convertible seat.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think as long as the newborn fits in it correctly it would be fine. I doubt with 3 that you will be taking the newborn out a ton in the very beginning anyway and if you have big babies your newborn will fit in there well. I think the safety factor is more of a RF/FF issue which of course you will be RF the infant so it should be fine.

• I did this. I only had the one, but I knew I wouldn't like lugging around the infant seat. It confused the nurses in labor and delivery since they had to come to the car to figure if it was safe. It's rated for 5lbs and up and the newborn inserts came with it. I felt totally safe and I didn't have to buy others. It was inconvenient in that he often woke up when I took him out of the seat, but since you'll be wearing baby, perhaps that will lull him/her back to sleep anyway?

I don't regret my decision one bit.  

• I did this with both my kids.  Its worked out perfectly fine.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"