December 2012 Moms

Question - Baby furniture Raves and Regrets

I know variations of my question have been asked, but on my phone I can't seem to find prior posts so I appoligize in advance. 

I already have baby bargains which is very helpful. But, I was wondering if you have any raves or regrets regarding the baby furniture you have purchased. After a post a couple of days ago about changing tables, I have decided to go with a double dresser and a changing pad on top. I would also like to purchase a crib and a glider with an ottoman. I want a crib that converts to a toddler bed then can be used as a headboard. I want these items to last for many years and I'm willing to pay more for that.  If you have something you love or hate please share. 

I'm also curious to know if any of you out there plan to avoid furniture made in China (which is most of it). I didn't really put much thought into this until I saw a note in baby bargains that said if you want to avoid furniture made in China here are our recommendations.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary

Re: Question - Baby furniture Raves and Regrets

• JMTTCJMTTC member

https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3096492&searchURL=true 

We got something like this.  It's a rocker and it reclines and has a footrest that comes out.  We considered this a big splurge at the time and right now, we consider it the best nursery item.  I can't tell you how many times I have had to sleep in this when I couldn't put DS down because he would wake up.  When picking out a rocker/glider I would ask myself "Will I be comfortable sleeping in this for a couple hours?" 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • we really really love our DaVinci crib.
  • Loading the player...
  • we got convertible cribs for our boys, and they are currently using them as toddler beds, which i do like. the one downside is that they used the rails for teething so the finish is scratched off all around the top.  you can get crib rail covers to prevent that, which i will certainly do when we get our next crib!  our boys' cribs and double dresser are from munire.

for this current baby, we are not spending nearly as much, we are thinking ikea and then will buy a twin bed for it when it outgrows a toddler bed.

we didn't get a glider- and when i was breastfeeding at night, we did it in bed, lying down, so i am glad that i didn't spend the money on that. 

• I like your list and agree - I didn't buy a glider last time, but I am this time. I cursed not having one every night lol.

Callie photo Callie1.jpg
  • We have a convertible crib. I waited until now to order the toddler rail conversion to be sure we were actually going to use her crib as well, more than a crib. But we love it, she loves it, and so it will stick with her for a long time! We also got a dresser that we put a changing pad on top, and then a glider. I did not spend a whole lot on the glider, its not fancy, and it has worked out fine, but it gets creeky sometimes. We have a lazy boy though in the finished basement, so I didn't need a glider I could sleep in if necessary since I could use the lazy boy, so that is a consideration. But we do still use the glider, part of her bedtime routine is a story and quick snuggles while we rock. Im bad because I have no idea where our furniture is made, but she luckily doesn't chew it so its probably fine. We got it all at BRU.
  • We are getting a crib, glider and ottoman, and a dresser with a changing pad on top. 

As far as avoiding things from China....we are.  My husband is adamit about buying something made in the USA.  He has even mentioned us going to look at an Amish store just because he thinks it would be "safer".  I don't know....I guess I can see his point but we will pay A LOT more for what we are buying rather than just going to buy something from a big box store....the closest Ikea is 8-12 hours away so I don't think thats an option for us! ha.  We are going with Stanley Young America.  I have a friend who bought hers a little over a year ago and has loved it so that was a good enough review for me.  She is very picky when it comes to stuff for baby so I trusted her judgement.  We just went to look at it last weekend and it is beautiful stuff. Plus Stanley is having a sale on it now so it is 50% off so it brings it down closer to where it would be if we bought stuff from BRU or some place like that.  I believe that is a Stanly sale and not just a sale at USA Baby where we are going to buy it. 

• The only regret I have about our furniture is not putting a chew guard on the crib railing. We got a dark cherry $400 convertible crib and Connor put some serious teeth marks on the front rail :(

We are converting the crib into a toddler bed this summer so we will have that part off the crib, but I would recommend getting chew guards! 

• Posh tots has great stuff.  We've bought furniture with them in the past and have been very happy.  It takes them a few weeks to ship (depending on what you buy) so you have to order early.  The crib we've ordered was not made China but I cannot speak about all of their furniture.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    EDD: 06/25/2006  M/C: 11/03/2005
    EDD: 04/08/2012  M/C: 09/03/2011
    EDD: 12/27/2012  Born Sleeping: 07/19/2012
    EDD: 12/07/2013  M/C 05/30/2013 & 05/31/2013
    EDD:  07/01/2016 Born sleeping: 03/02/2016

• imageJMTTC:

https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3096492&searchURL=true 

We got something like this.  It's a rocker and it reclines and has a footrest that comes out.  We considered this a big splurge at the time and right now, we consider it the best nursery item.  I can't tell you how many times I have had to sleep in this when I couldn't put DS down because he would wake up.  When picking out a rocker/glider I would ask myself "Will I be comfortable sleeping in this for a couple hours?" 

We did something similar to this too and it was worth every penny. It's the most comfortable chair in the house and I slept in it many times in the early months! 

Jude Wayne - Born 4/23/10 Violet Patricia - Born 12/5/12 Breastfeeding, baby-wearing work-at-home mom of 2 living in Rockville, MD
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"