May 2012 Moms

Moms of lo with reflux

Tell me what made you think your baby had it, what testing the dr did, and what treatment your using please.  Lucas is spitty in a very different way than my other two and gags and sputters at times, so I'm wondering?  Tia 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Untitled

Re: Moms of lo with reflux

• DrRxDrRx member

Adalyn would cry in pain and arch her back during her feeds.  Also, when she was not eating she would start coughing like something came up.  Since she is also a preemie, and they are very predisposed to it, our pedi started her on zantac. 

Adalyn is a different baby while on zantac.  She gets it twice a day.  We also keep her upright at least 30 minutes after a feed.  We also have a RNP and use that a lot.  

TTC Since July 2008.
    Me: PCOS DH: Low everything (MFI)
    Clomid with TI x 3 2010 BFN
    Clomid+IUI+Ovidrel 2010 BFN
    IVF w/ICSI #1 2011
    9/8/11 Beta #1: 2082!! 9/19/11 Beta#2 34,689!! U/S 9/22/11 HR 127! 11/8/11 HR 150! 12/6/11 HR 136! 12/14/11 HR 139! Born at 26w2d on 2/4/2012! After 83 days in the NICU, Adalyn came home on 4/26/12!
    FET 1 3/2013 BFN
    FET 2 5/2013 BFN
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • My twin b has severe reflux, he was my nicu baby too. He had to stay longer since he wasn't keeping his food down. He also arched his back since we brought him home. He was spitting up most of his feedings (through his nose as well) since he was so little and only weighed 4 pounds he needed help getting it out most of the time by patting his back hard. He would cry during and after his feedings. He had an upper gi done and everything looked fine which confirmed he had reflux, he is currently taking prilosec twice a day and they switched his formula to alimentum (not a fan, one small can costs $28 and we go through 3 a week ) but it's helping a lot! He still spits up one to two times a day but nothing compared to how he was before. Our insurance wouldnt help cover the cost of the formula, our dr office contacted them and told them it was for medical reasons but it was a no go.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • There is no testing for it.  We were told DS1 had it but Zantac didnt help. We are having some of the same issues with DS2 and I think the problem is forceful letdown, not reflux.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageDrRx:

Adalyn would cry in pain and arch her back during her feeds.  Also, when she was not eating she would start coughing like something came up.  Since she is also a preemie, and they are very predisposed to it, our pedi started her on zantac. 

Adalyn is a different baby while on zantac.  She gets it twice a day.  We also keep her upright at least 30 minutes after a feed.  We also have a RNP and use that a lot.  

This! 

3/09 off BCP TTC 6/09 DX PCOS 9/09, endometriosis, bicornuate uterus DH- All #'s are above normal! 1500 mg Metformin 6 rounds of Clomid + HCG trigger- All BFN 8/10 IUI #1 Gonal F + Ovidrel BFN 9/10 On a much needed break 10/10 Laparoscopy 11/10- 6/11 IUI #2-4 Gonal F, Ovidrel, and progesterone, produced 4-8 follies each cycle, all BFN 8/11 IVF #1 R-20, M-17, F W/ICSI 2 :( 3dt of a 4 cell and 7 cell BFP!!!! BETA #1 115, #2 488, #3 2900 -SAIFAW- PAIFAW- Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • my daughter has it and is on pepcid, 2 times a day..since starting it, she is COMPLETELY different. I have a happy baby now...before she was MISERABLE..coudln't put her down, she cried through feedings, arched back, spit up all the time, coughed and it looked like something came up and then she swallowed it (based on the sour and gross look on her face)....hated being on her back, etc.

now with the meds, she doesn't cry or arch back, enjoys being on her back more, still spits but isn't in pain (the meds don't stop them from spitting)...we also got the RnP which she loves, since it's in an upright position. 

Good luck..reflux is no fun :(

Oh and there aren't tests for it..the ped just went on the symptoms and behaviors I was describing

Jaime... Mommy to Alexa Shaye and Sofia Gabrielle imageMy Bio CafeMom Tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm thinking we may still be dealing with a forceful let down not reflux from what you ladies are saying thanks.

But there is a test for it I know a few babies and many adults irl who have had it done.  It's just not fun so I'm thinking most dr precibe meds first.  The put a tube down your nose into your esphogus sp? To see how many times you reflux. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Untitled
  • imageSWBs Wifey:
    There is no testing for it.  We were told DS1 had it but Zantac didnt help. We are having some of the same issues with DS2 and I think the problem is forceful letdown, not reflux.  

Ours was also caused by an over supply and fast let down. When it is under control, my dd does much better. She sleeps on her stomach now and has been a lot better.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• arching back, acidity smell, spit up and nasal congestion caused by spit up coming through the nose, and hard tummy. I think the arching back is the most common symptom because not all reflux babies will spit up. All my boys had reflux and I highly recommend getting them treatment because it will make all the difference in the world.

9 angels in heaven-3 in my arms and 1 in the NICU                                                                                                                                    
    Mono/di twin girls: Josephine born to heaven and Evangeline born Earthside at 25w

• Cranky, spitty and arched back. We tried Zantac and moved to prilosec which gave us some improvement. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"