Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

First miscarriage

I'm kind of screwed up and I don't really know why. I have a copper IUD in and was obviously not trying to get pregnant. I was due for my period May 28 and spotted lightly for a week but no real bleeding (I generally get 8-10 day heavy periods with the copper). My doctor's office said it could happen occasionally and not to worry.

Then a week later I started to bleed very heavily and it hasn't stopped. I was worried so they sent me in for bloodwork and then, SURPRISE, you're having a miscarriage. I felt shell shocked. Actually, I still do.

Now I've been bleeding for basically a month off and on and I feel like it will never stop. I'm also in quite a lot of pain and have no energy. I was just told to rest and eat foods rich in iron.

How long until the bleeding stops? My levels are still not at zero (I go for bloodwork every 72 hours) but an ultrasound showed my uterus was clear.

When will I get a "normal" period again? I'm planning on having the copper pulled because this scared the crap out of me. I wasn't expecting to be the failure rate when they had just checked the IUD and it was placed correctly. Even at the ultrasound the tech said it should have been fine.

Re: First miscarriage

• Options
    I'm not familiar with miscarriage and having an IUD in.   My miscarriage lasted about 7 days and my first normal period was right on schedule one month later.  I would have them draw your CBC too make sure you are not bleeding too much.  They drew my CBC the first day I started miscarrying so they had something to compare it too if I bleed to much.  Thankfully, I did not.  It was probably a week after my miscarriage that my beta level was back down completely.  Hope that helps.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Have they confirmed it is not eptopic? I feel like I heard they are more common for those who are using BC when they get pregnant and if your levels aren't coming down I would talk with the doc more.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Yes, I've had an ultrasound and they confirmed it was not ectopic.

I am pretty sure that I had the actual miscarriage on June 15, because that was the night i woke up in severe pain and spent the night on the toilet. If I hadn't been home alone with my son I would have gone to the ER because of the pain but I had no one to take care of him.

I've been bleeding fairly heavily since. Yes, they did do a CBC the same day as the ultrasound and beta draw since the first thing we thought was some kind of infection, not pregnancy. It's still bright red blood. The cramping has lessened but I am still uncomfortable. The bleeding seems to be slowing down but betas are not zero yet. I go for another draw on Tuesday.

So is it 4-6 weeks from the day I think I actually miscarried, or from the day betas are zero, or when I stop bleeding? I'd be thrilled not to get it back for a really long time, to be honest, since I've been bleeding already for more than a month!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"