Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Moms of 2+: How do you manage bedtimes for two??!?

Especially those who do it without a DH or partner...I'm going nuts trying to navigate putting our 4-year-old to bed on time and also deal with our 6-week-old, who's getting more and more tired earlier and earlier.  TIA!!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Moms of 2+: How do you manage bedtimes for two??!?

• Options
    My DH puts our older son to bed.  I don't know how I would manage if he worked nights or wasn't home at bedtime.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

LurkingSmile I have a 3 1/2 year old and an 8 month old. I let my 3 1/2 year old watch a TV show while I put my 8 month old to bed. Not the most ideal but it keeps my 3 1/2 year old entertained and not distracting.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    My husband works 2nd shift, so bed time is all mine. We have a 4 year old and a one month old. It's certainly been a struggle to get the 4yr old to bed on time. I have however changed bath time to the mornings, which has made it a little bit easier. I also wear the little one around in the carrier, where he will sleep, so that I can still read books and things to the older one. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagemeliss008:

LurkingSmile I have a 3 1/2 year old and an 8 month old. I let my 3 1/2 year old watch a TV show while I put my 8 month old to bed. Not the most ideal but it keeps my 3 1/2 year old entertained and not distracting.

This is how I'm probably going to do it...right now its hard because the baby doesn't have a schedule so I've been playing it by ear and putting the older one to bed during one of the baby's naps! 

Alicia Mrs. since 03.05.05 imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    90% of the time I'm on my own for bedtime, and lately my normally easy 2 year old has been getting more high maintenance for bedtime.  Her usual bedtime is around 8pm, but I've learned to be a little flexible.  My best advice is to try to get the baby to sleep, or at least content for a few minutes, and then focus on your older child.  It's definitely not easy, and I've had many nights where it ends in both kids crying miserably (and sometimes me too).
    Love: 8.10.99
    Marriage: 12.18.04
    DD1: 5.19.10
    DD2: 4.11.12
    #3 EDD 4.23.16

• Options
    kel716kel716 member

I've been on my own for bedtime 4-6 nights/week since DD was 4 days old.  Once dd started falling into a more consistent bed time- right around 5-6 weeks, I started working on our routine  The key for me was melding it into DS's existing routine.

Before dd, his nightly routine involved:

Take water sippy cup upstairs
    Change clothes, go potty, wash hands
    Brush teeth
    Read 2 stories
    Turn on sound machine
    Get tucked in
    Say our love yous
    Answer no more than 3 questions

So now, I've added DD.  While he's going potty and washing his hands, I change DD's diaper and put her PJ's on. 

Then, she sits with us and reads stories with us.  Sometimes I'm nursing her at the same time, sometimes I'm not.  When we say our "I love yous" we kiss dd and tell her the same.. in other words, I just involved her.  I answer his questions, close his door, and have DD "say" goodnight. 

When that's done, I take dd to her room, nurse her to sleep, and put her in bed. 

Sometimes this process takes 20 minutes, sometimes longer.  Regardless, we go up to bed at the same time every night because starting at the same time is key for ds going to bed at the right time every night. 

I found that I had to find something that worked for me and our current structure....  so my advice is thinking about what does work for your older child and adapt.  I actually find bedtime more stressful on the nights DH is home because he doesn't know our rhythm.  

• Options
    I usually put the baby in the bouncy seat. He's content for a few minutes so I can put ds1 to bed. If I hear him start fussing I might cut our routine a little short. If ds2 hasn't fallen asleep in the bouncy by time I am done with ds1 I just tend to him. DS1 bedtime is 7. Our routine is pajamas (we usually do bath in the morning but if I have to I just put the baby in the bouncy in the bathroom while I give ds1 his bath), 2 books, 2 songs, prayers, and walk with him for 2 songs on the seahorse. 
  • Options
    I lay on the bed so my DD1 can play with my hair to fall asleep this only takes about 15 minutes. And very early on I got her used ot hearing DD2 cooing and or crying while falling asleep so that it never bothers her. So I just put DD2 in her bouncy chair beside the bed and I attend to her if its needed otherwise she sits in her chair and coos or sleeps while I get DD1 down. 
  • Options

imageSummerMama12:
    My DH puts our older son to bed.  I don't know how I would manage if he worked nights or wasn't home at bedtime.  

This!  We do bathtime all together - DH washed DD1 in the tub and I give DD2 a little rinse in the sink, and then I take DD2 down to feed in the family room (she won't go down until later) and DH takes DD1 to her room for storytime and bed.

If I was alone, I guess I would get DD1 to help with DD2's bath earlier and try to get DD2 to nap while I give DD1 her bath...  

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Eleanor Noelle - 18/05/12 Claire Elisabeth - 16/-5/10
  • Options
    I focus on keeping routine for DS1 (change, teeth, book, prayers, lights out), if DS2 is awake I just have him join us, if he is asleep I just leave him be.  

DS1 goes to bed at 8/830 and DS2 last feeding before bed tends to be 9/930 so it works out well.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"