October 2011 Moms
Options

Another travel question

It must be summer with all these travel questions, right?

We're going to Chicago in August for a wedding.  Our options are to take a red-eye flight on a Thursday (leave at 6:55pm, arrive at 12:40am - which would only be 10:40 for DH and I with the time change) or early morning Friday (leave at 6:55am, arrive at 12:40pm)

Part of me thinks it will be a nightmare to travel with a baby in the evening, part of me thinks he'll sleep the entire plane trip and once we get there, and it might help with the whole jet-lag thing.

So for you experienced travelers, which option would you choose?  Thursday night or Friday morning?

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Another travel question

• Options
    I prefer travelling at night or during naptime with the kids. They do usually sleep.
  • Options

I wonder this too since we will be traveling to AZ (6 hours away) at Christmas. My worry about nighttime is. What if they sleep the entire 6 hours and then won't go down again once you get to the new location (and it is still night). Or am I over thinking it?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Personally I'm a morning person and would take the 6:55 AM flight.  The airport is dead and easier to maneuver through.   LO will have been rested and not apt to be as cranky.

If you go in the evening:

I would be concerned that if you get him to go to sleep in the flight, when you land at 12:40 will he wake up in the bustle of getting bags and a cab and finding your hotel room.  If he wakes does he go to sleep easily again?

Also what if he can't go to sleep on the plane?  Then you have a very cranky over tired baby to deal with.

siggy1-16-13_zpsbc591894 photo siggy1-16-13_zpsbc591894-1_zpscf1469c3.jpg
  • Options
    nic326nic326 member
    I  personally would never do a red eye with either of my kids and we fly all the time. I always plan flights during or around naptime and never had problems. DS1 was always hyped up by the whole airport/plane experience and by the time we got off the ground or shortly thereafter he would fall asleep. Red eyes, in my mind, are for adults. I had firsthand experience with relatives this past weekend who did a red eye from Texas to Portland with their babies. Their kids were not only up all night/entire flight, they also didnt sleep until about 9am the next morning and it took them a good 2 days to catch up. The change in schedule, keeping them up late to make a flight, the flight itself and a time change are way to much to put a kid thru IMO. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    As much as I'd love to think LBB will sleep through anything, it sounds like we'll be safer taking the morning flight.  Thanks ladies!
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    definitely morning!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"