Working Moms

I have a ? for all your working Moms! Please help.

So my twin girls at 8 months and have been at an in-home since they were 3 months.  We have been on a waiting list at a church daycare here in our town that is supposed to be the best of the best since I was 6 weeks pregnant.  We didn't think there was any way we would get in before the girls were 2.  They just called and they have TWO spots.  What!!!???

My question for y'all is this:  The daycare that they will be going to, starting August 1st.  I just received the daycares calendar of days off and it seems to be a LOT.  What do you do with your child when the daycare is closed?  They take off one week at Thanksgiving, two weeks at Christmas and many more days in between.  I can't take off TWO weeks.  Suggestions?

Re: I have a ? for all your working Moms! Please help.

• That does seem like a lot. I know many DC's are closed the day after Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve and the day after but 2wks?? I could never pull that off. Also I do know that most DC's in my area follow the public school calendar..so basically when they are closed the DC is also.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • That seems to be a lot of closings...our daycare only closes on the actual holidays, which I have off anyway, so it hasn't been an issue for me. That seems unreasonable, and I would look for a different center.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • LoCarbLoCarb member
    imageEllaHella:

I turned down several ideal daycares because of the over abudance of closures.  I am not really sure how a working parent can pull it off.

ditto. I didn't want to stress over add'l time off so I went w/ a DC that has the major holidays off consistent w/ my employer. I would look into back-up care (sitter, family, neighbor) to help out.

• Our daycare is closed all gov't holidays, the week between christmas and new years, and a couple days here and there for teachers days.  It's kind of a tradeoff.  DH and I just make it work.  Sometimes we'll have family come up to watch DD, other times, we just adjust our schedules so that we each take a half day or try and work extra to make up the hours, or one of us just takes off and has a fun day of hookey with DD. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ours is usually only closed on actual holidays, but they do take 1 week of "summer break" the first week of June. This year we were able to have my FIL come down and watch him for the week. Ironically 2 weeks around Christmas would actually work great for us, we both work for colleges and usually take a lot of time off then. Anyway, it's definitely something to consider.

Some of the daycare employees actually might want to babysit, though of course you'd have to pay them above what you already pay the daycare.

Lilypie - (8zJg)Lilypie - (Eu83)
  • imageDaisyJanie:

Ours is usually only closed on actual holidays, but they do take 1 week of "summer break" the first week of June. This year we were able to have my FIL come down and watch him for the week. Ironically 2 weeks around Christmas would actually work great for us, we both work for colleges and usually take a lot of time off then. Anyway, it's definitely something to consider.

Some of the daycare employees actually might want to babysit, though of course you'd have to pay them above what you already pay the daycare.

I sure hope a DC who is closing for 2 full weeks in addition to all those other hoildays & breaks is not charging parents for those 2 weeks. Paying for a holiday here & there is one thing to cover their costs and staff costs but 2 weeks is excessive. I think if you don't have family nearby who can help, you could either ask the staff like pp said (though I bet the ones who want to probably get a LOT of requests), find a local temporary sitter (tough at the holidays though maybe a college student or someone with an open schedule looking for some holiday $!) or have family visit if that is a possibility...

GL in your decision. that is a tough one.

• This sounds a lot like my kids' church school.  I see you're in RR; it's not UUMC ECC, is it?  What we do is my husband and I take turns taking a week of vacation and do fun things with the kids.  When we're out of vacation time, we pay a teacher to come to the house. 
  • jlaOKjlaOK member
    Our daycare takes a week off at Christmas. Although not the most convenient, we loved the daycare and decided to work around it. Either my mom watches DS or we take turns staying home.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

View Full Size Image

• That's really tough.  The local church preschools/daycares in my area do the same thing.  They are even taking off "furlough" days the public school teachers take off!  I am leaving my kiddo with an in-home daycare (which I love) for another year to put the problem off for another year.  Both of our local centers are closed for 2 weeks in the summer, all the holidays, spring break, 2 weeks between Christmas and New Years, etc.  And while I could get "back up" care those days, that is at least $100 per day for a sitter. Definitely annoying!
  • Our previous daycare was closed the week between Xmas and new years. Then random holidays. I know that several parent used to hire some of the teachers as babysitters. We take off the week after Xmas so it was no biggie for us. 
  • imagegroovygrl:
    imageDaisyJanie:

Ours is usually only closed on actual holidays, but they do take 1 week of "summer break" the first week of June. This year we were able to have my FIL come down and watch him for the week. Ironically 2 weeks around Christmas would actually work great for us, we both work for colleges and usually take a lot of time off then. Anyway, it's definitely something to consider.

I sure hope a DC who is closing for 2 full weeks in addition to all those other hoildays & breaks is not charging parents for those 2 weeks. Paying for a holiday here & there is one thing to cover their costs and staff costs but 2 weeks is excessive. I think if you don't have family nearby who can help, you could either ask the staff like pp said (though I bet the ones who want to probably get a LOT of requests), find a local temporary sitter (tough at the holidays though maybe a college student or someone with an open schedule looking for some holiday $!) or have family visit if that is a possibility...

GL in your decision. that is a tough one.

Daycare charges are already based on the calendar they provide, it's in essence a yearly charge that you get to pay in monthly increments.  An in-home provider might charge differently, but most centers will give you the same cost each month.  Some months have more "school days" than others, some have more holidays, it all evens out in the end. I wouldn't expect to pay half price in December if they take two weeks off unless they specify that in the contract.

OP- we have two in preschool and there are a lot of days off as well (they follow the school calendar, and start two weeks after school starts in September and end two weeks earlier in June).  I also have a flexible job, but would not be able to take off for every holiday (not to mention sick days) so we have an au pair as well (obviously not a budget wise decision for someone with two kids, but it works well for 5!)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie - (HKbp)Lilypie - (WKbt)
     Lilypie - (2DqE)  Lilypie - (1KYE)
    Lilypie - (RlhZ)Lilypie - (1CAm)
  • It is tough when they go by the public school calendar vs. a working mom's regular daycare calendar. I would probably try to find a place that is open more, or find some high school or college students that you could call to schedule the odd weeks. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I haven't had an issue with mine, either. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"