February 2013 Moms
Options

What to Expect Today?

I am a first time mommie-to-be and am having my first u/s and prenatal appointment today.  I have no clue what to expect.  I was hoping some more experienced mommie-to-bes could give me some advice. Like...What keywords should I be listening for?  If I hear this, be worried!  If I hear this, it's good! And etc.  Any words of advice will be appreciated! TIA!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: What to Expect Today?

• Options

You will go over yours and your DHs medical history and they may or many not have you PIAC.  They will take blood and since your over 8w they will do a sono.

The only words id be worried about are ectopic or lack of a heartbeat!

~Formerly~AngnShaun~

~~Transferred 2 Perfect Embryos 5/28 - BFP 6/4~~ HAILEY ELIZABETH ~2/16/13~ 6:39am ~ 6lbs 2oz ~ 20" long ~ 1 Year ~ 20lbs 14oz ~ 29.25"~
    ~10.10 Ectopic, 4.11 Nat m/c 9w, 8.11, 1.12, 3.12 CPs~

Follow Me on Pinterest

Angela's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (100-in-2012 shelf)
    imageimage

• Options

Definitely be ready for a lengthy family history, personal history, medical history, etc. You'll probably have a regular annual exam - pap, breast, and internal exam. 

Your u/s will be to date the pregnancy so they will probably give you an EDD. If you are less than 6 weeks along, don't be surprised if you don't see a heartbeat. This doesn't mean anything is wrong, it's just too early to see anything yet! If you are lucky/far enough along, you might be able to see/hear a heartbeat with the u/s. This will also be an internal u/s...which means the doctor will place a dildo-looking wand (that's the only way I can think to describe it!) into your vagina and view the baby, your ovaries, your cervix, etc, that way.

They will probably also take blood work, talk to you about first trimester screenings, and give you a lot of information in the form of brochures and a welcome bag or packet. Make a list of questions and bring them, ask every one of them, no matter how insignificant they may seem at the time. There is no such thing as a question that will shock, bore, or irritate a doctor. They are prepared for anything.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Joe and Ashley ~ June 16, 2007 ~ Olivia Rae ~ May 12, 2008 ~ 9:06 pm ~ 8lbs 4oz ~ 20.5 inches ~ Miscarriage of twins ~ April 16, 2009 at 6 weeks. ~ Surprise BFP 6/23/09 13DPO ~ Eleanor Rose ~ February 18, 2010 ~ 6lbs 15oz ~ 20 inches ~ Caroline Ruth ~ February 19, 2013 ~ 6lbs 12 oz ~ 19 1/4 inches

Our family is complete!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I just had my first appt Tues, my 1st preg.....this is what my experience was:

1) Make sure you can pee in the cup, cause I acidentally went before I got there lol
    2) Then the nurse came in and did blood pressure and she sat with me and went over questions for about 15 minutes.
    3) Then my doctor came in and spoke to me for about 10 minutes to make sure he answered any questions I had
    4) Then I got naked from the waist down lol threw my cover on and the doc and nurse came back where first he checked my cervix and took a sample to make sure I no infection, he WOULD of done a pap but I just had mine in Feb so none was needed and the, the lights went down and I got the vaginal ultrasound where I got to see the little smudge and then see the flicker of a heartbeat and then listened to it.
    5) After he printed my picture of ultrasound, answered anymore questions I had and then said I needed to get blood drawn for some tests.
    6) I got dressed, nurse came back with literature, a planning book, and free samples and said I need to come back in 2 weeks.
    7) Made my appointment, and the blood guy happened to be there at that moment, got 6 viles taken and I went home lol

photo 9304f105-c1e0-4769-a5f5-66ebac0208e2.jpg
  • Options
    Thank you, Ladies!  I feel more comfortable knowing a little about what to expect.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Make sure you are ready to give lots of blood! I would take something sweet with you to eat after your appointment to get your blood sugar back up. I was so thankful that DH brought me some chocolate covered raisins. I was a little light-headed as we were leaving, but I also hate anything with taking blood. I normally don't meet the requirements to donate it, so I might be more prone to the effects? idk?
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker
    image"">
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"