Working Moms

Bosses boss telling everyone I am not coming back to work after #2

I just heard that the Director of my dept mentioned he thinks I am not coming back to work after I have LO #2.  I told my manager that yes I will be returning when I told him I was pg last week. Still pissed that it was even a question he asked but whatever. 

Truth is I am 99% sure I WILL be returning after leave so this is really bothering me! I feel like the managers will stop developing me and think what is the point. KWIM? I don't know how to deal with this bc obviously he didn't say this to my face and I heard this through the grapevine. 

Also, our HR dept is pretty crappy too. They are just as jaded when it comes to this stuff and have made similar comments. I mean for the love of all things holy its 2012! A majority of moms work!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Bosses boss telling everyone I am not coming back to work after #2

• My work does this kind of crap to me.  I am telling them I am pregnant after my next appointment next week, and I am dreading it.  When I told my boss I was pregnant last time,her response "That's not even funny" Lovely lady she is.  And I work for a small company, and she is our h/r department. 
  • If you are 99% sure you're going back to work you need to let them know.  I agree they will stop devolping you if they think otherwise.  I'm not sure if you're comfortable having another talk with your director over this.  I'm not a very direct person so I would just bring things up in conversation that pointed to the fact that I was returning.  Such as "I plan on taking x number of weeks off for maternity so that will put me back to work around ____" or things about daycare like "my dc is so excited to be getting another new baby". 
  • Loading the player...
  • During my third pregnancy I overheard a conversation between my immediate boss and the head of our office and they were discussing if I would really return after having the baby.  The next day I asked to speak with my immediate boss and I made it very clear that I would be returning.   I was being considered for a promotion at the time and I didn't want any speculation on their part influencing their decisions about the promotion.  I think being direct is the best route to take.

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

• To squash general office chatter, I would be really public about stuff you're doing relating to your post-ML career:

Make clear to everyone that you're putting down deposits/actively booking childcare.

Hold onto your parking pass.

Bring new pictures into your office.

Ask or volunteer to be involved with specific events occurring after you get back.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thanks ladies. I am just frusterated and annoyed that I have to defend myself and work to convince them I am staying. I shouldn't have to! I work for a huge well known multi-billion dollar corporation. My job is busy enough as it is and now I have to put in extra effort to convince them I am staying??? How does this make any sense?!?!? 

I bet 100 million net that the thought of my husband not returning to work when he told his boss never crosses his bosses mind! Errrr....

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagefinancialdiva:

Thanks ladies. I am just frusterated and annoyed that I have to defend myself and work to convince them I am staying. I shouldn't have to! I work for a huge well known multi-billion dollar corporation. My job is busy enough as it is and now I have to put in extra effort to convince them I am staying??? How does this make any sense?!?!? 

I bet 100 million net that the thought of my husband not returning to work when he told his boss never crosses his bosses mind! Errrr....

Yep.  That totally sucks.
  • imagefinancialdiva:

I am just frusterated and annoyed that I have to defend myself and work to convince them I am staying.

Every time someone comes on this board and asks about how to fool their company into holding their job while they plot to quit during maternity leave, we remind them of what a sh#@y thing that is to do to their co-workers and to other working mothers.  This is precisely why.

• J234J234 member
    Despite the fact that I told my boss I definitely, absolutely, positively would be back after 6-8 weeks, people were still surprised to see me at work when I came back after 8 weeks.  Everyone was like, "Wow, I heard you weren't coming back."  It's so frustrating...  I hear you!  
  • My boss do something similar to me. I work in a small company and dh works there too. We kept saying unless you plan on doubling dhs salary I will be back. Lol. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"