June 2011 Moms
Options

Tilapia for bebe?

My mom made tilapia for dinner tonight. DS and I are spending the night because last night at 3AM I woke up from a horrible horrible dream that someone took him. I woke DH up, made him go check on DS with me, closed and locked all of the windows and pulled the couch in front of the front door. It was intense. 

I don't eat fish, but my mom said not to give him any cause it has little bones in it that we wouldn't necessarily find?? Is that true? Is she being weird? Lol 

Re: Tilapia for bebe?

• Options
    I've never had issues with Tilapia having tiny bones at all.  Maybe if you're preparing it from a whole fish and fileting it yourself it might be difficult to get all the little bones, but that may be true of most fish I would think.  I would guess that most pre-fileted fish have a pretty good chance of having all the bones taken out.  I'm sure though there are always exceptions.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    yeah. I eat Tilapia fillets very often and have never come across a bone.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    nfrtnynfrtny member
    Maybe momma is buying crappy tilapia then lol!
  • Options

I think it would be fine. I always check fish pretty carefully before giving it to DS, and it's always been fine. 

Sorry about your dream! That sounds terrifying. Hope you get a better night's sleep tonight.  

My food & craft blog: Fraises et Tartines

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP #2: 9/29/12; EDD 6/8/2013; m/c 10/5/2012

BFP#3: 1/29/13; EDD 10/5/2013 - Baby Claire arrived 10/6/2013
  • Options
    DD has had tilapia w/o problems several times.  We've never found a bone and we eat it a lot too.
  • Options

I'm with everyone else.  We eat it fairly regularly, C loves it, and I've never found a bone.  It's usually with fish you catch and prepare yourself but there is a possibility, albeit slim, you could find one in a commercial filet.  

I break all her fish up into chunks/pieces anyways and while I'm doing that I feel for the bones.  You pretty much know when you find one. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    imageMommaG123:

I'm with everyone else.  We eat it fairly regularly, C loves it, and I've never found a bone.  It's usually with fish you catch and prepare yourself but there is a possibility, albeit slim, you could find one in a commercial filet.  

I break all her fish up into chunks/pieces anyways and while I'm doing that I feel for the bones.  You pretty much know when you find one. 

^This.  We eat a lot of fish, both filets and whole.  I always sort of squish the pieces to feel for bones before i put them on DD plate.

photo a1c2c501-51d6-4155-bc5d-e15072d2426d_zps1135e754.jpg 

**Siggy Challenge What You're Looking Forward to Most after Baby Arrives**

• Options

imageMommaA117:
    yeah. I eat Tilapia fillets very often and have never come across a bone.

This exactly.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I've given A all kinds of fish without problem.  And yes, that includes shellfish.  Stick out tongue  And unless you are deboning the fish yourself and do a terrible job, I just can't imagine there would be anything to worry about.
  • Options
    I gave M a piece of perch a few months ago.  It came from a freezer package and it did have bones.  I've since given him tilapia and that was fine, but like others have said, smash it between your fingers a little and you should feel it.
  • Options
    We haven't had any problems with tilapia. Reed loves it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"