Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Car seat positioning

I keep my son in the middle right now but I have baby 2 coming next Friday! I am having such anxiety over moving him to the side. I recently witnessed a horrible car accident that just tore a family apart with children in the car so I guess I am just even more sensitive to it, but I hate the idea of not having him in the safest spot. Has anyone still kept one child in the middle and one on the side or that isn't even possible? I know I can try it out myself and I will, just sitting here thinking about it and figured I would see what anyone has to say.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Car seat positioning

• I was able to get my nieces convertible seat in without moving Mason's seat from the center. I have an SUV so it's pretty roomy back there though. Give it a shot. I'd definetly want to keep the newborn in the center if possible.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Not sure what kind of car you have, but you can usually get one in the middle and one on the side.  But I'd be worried about my older son pulling on the baby or something, that's something he really likes to do!  What child would you put in the middle?  I understand your feelings, but at least one child has to be on the side so you do have to get over it at least a little (not trying to be snarky, just maybe knowing that you have to do it eventually will help you feel a little better).
  • Loading the player...
  • I actually grabbed our baby-on-the-ways carseat and put it next to DS's to see if it'd fit.  He is already at the side.  I have an SUV, but it fits!
    Little Man 1.8.11
    Freshie Girl 9.29.12
  • kje120kje120 member
    We don't have a middle seat so he's always been on the side.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • We can fit 3 across, so I would think you can probably keep one seat in the middle. Just make sure they don't touch.

Also, not sure this will help your anxiety... but we got in a terrible accident last summer with both kids in the car. We were hit going 70mph, went across 6 lanes of traffic backwards, and then spun around and went across 6 lanes again, stopping within an inch of the concrete barriers. DD's door was the point of impact, both kids car seats were outboard. Neither of them had a scratch. Nobody could believe we didn't flip over and nobody could believe none of us were hurt.  DD's door crumpled in around her and her car seat. The point of me telling you all of this is the position of the seat isn't as important as installing it correctly and making sure your kids are harnessed in tightly. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagesaturdaynightdoubletree:

We can fit 3 across, so I would think you can probably keep one seat in the middle. Just make sure they don't touch.

Also, not sure this will help your anxiety... but we got in a terrible accident last summer with both kids in the car. We were hit going 70mph, went across 6 lanes of traffic backwards, and then spun around and went across 6 lanes again, stopping within an inch of the concrete barriers. DD's door was the point of impact, both kids car seats were outboard. Neither of them had a scratch. Nobody could believe we didn't flip over and nobody could believe none of us were hurt.  DD's door crumpled in around her and her car seat. The point of me telling you all of this is the position of the seat isn't as important as installing it correctly and making sure your kids are harnessed in tightly. 

Hmmmm, I probably would have crammed them into a our little car with them touching...  Why shouldn't they touch?  It sounds like a good idea for them to not touch, but do you know why exactly? 

OP:  We are about to have the same issue.  I don't think they will fit with one in the middle in my tiny car.  I was going to put DS1 behind the drivers seat and #2 behind the passenger seat.  The only issue is that DS1 might have to go forward facing because I can't scoot my seat up enough for his rf convertible seat...which makes me sad because I intended to leave him rf for much longer.  Maybe I just need to trade in the car...

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagesaturdaynightdoubletree:

We can fit 3 across, so I would think you can probably keep one seat in the middle. Just make sure they don't touch.

This isn't true. You can have two seats next to each other and they can touch, but they much be independently secure. That means if you take one out, the other is is installed tight. You have to make sure they are each installed tight on their own.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"