February 2013 Moms
Options

Curious - clicky poll

I notice there are a LOT of posts concerning alcohol on here!  I have one glass of wine maybe three times a year (Easter, Xmas, Thanksgiving!)  It's interesting to me that so many people drink so regularly!  Am I the only one who doesn't???  And so, clicky poll.

Edit:  Obviously, I mean before you were pregnant!  Hopefully, you aren't drinking now!

Edit, edit: :)  I'm not trying to be snarky or anything!  I hope you don't take it that way!  I'm really a sweet person!  I really don't drink a lot and never did.  I'm also young and in my 20s!  I just never enjoyed drinking and didn't have friends who drank either. 

[Poll]
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Curious - clicky poll

• Options
    Not drinking this pregnancy has not been an issue but I am a sahm of four. With my first, I was one year out of college and a newlywed....I don't remember, but I am sure I had to think about it more. I figure everyone is at different places in their life...so there are going to be many vast differences between women on a board like this.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I would say that I drank socially before I got pregnant. I didn't drink every week at all, but I would have a cocktail or a glass of wine when we went out with friends.
    Lilypie - (KNqh)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I voted for "a couple times a year" but that's only really because up until I got pregnant I was still BFing DS and was pretty cautious about my alcohol intake. Before I got pregnant with DS I was probably more like once or twice a week. Both DH and my family are pretty into wine so I used to indulge in a glass or two on the weekends.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    ebwhitebwhit member

Um yeah...3x a year on holidays? I pretty much need 3 glasses before the holiday begins just to get through all the family. I LOVE them but when they are all together at once...good lord. Is it really that surprising? Many of us are in our mid to late 20's...still going out with friends...making cocktails at home....popping open a bottle of wine to share with the hubs? Maybe it's because I'm from Wisconsin and we like our drink in Wisconsin but..... 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    ME (26) DH (32) Diagnosis- unexplained recurrent pregnancy loss
    BFP #1 7/12- MC 8w.3d
    BFP #2 10/12- CP 
    BFP #3 1/13 - CP
    BFP #4 8/13- MC 6w3d
    IUI #1 50mg Clomid/Ovidrel 1/13-BFN
    IUI #2 2/14 100MG Clomid/Ovidrel- BFP! grow baby grow

• Options
    I went with a few times a year so me not drinking isn't throwing any flags up for people. I just hate the taste of alcohol like with mixed drinks I always think god this of tasted better with out alcohol in it. Hate the taste of beer. And I'm cheap so when we go out I can't justify spending $8-$12 on a mixed drink. I'd much rather be dd and let husband drink cheap beer. 
  • Options
    I would have a glass of wine probably 4 or 5 nights a week, bu not more than a glass a night.  For a special occasion I might have more though.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageebwhit:

Um yeah...3x a year on holidays? I pretty much need 3 glasses before the holiday begins just to get through all the family. I LOVE them but when they are all together at once...good lord. Is it really that surprising? Many of us are in our mid to late 20's...still going out with friends...making cocktails at home....popping open a bottle of wine to share with the hubs? Maybe it's because I'm from Wisconsin and we like our drink in Wisconsin but..... 

LOL @ getting through all the family!  I'm in my late 20's too.  I was never a drinker, and neither were my friends, so it is suprising to me.  I'm not trying to be cranky!  I was really curious! :)

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I drank 2-3 drinks a day, which I know it sounds quite excessive - and, yes, it is - but I had a good tolerance built up to where that wouldn't get me tipsy even. I haven't had a drink though since I found out I was pregnant over 3 weeks ago, and I do feel good for it. If it wasn't for the bloat, I think I might have lost some weight just by quitting alcohol!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I?ve been living in Spain for 13yrs now. Before I moved here I wasnt a big wine drinker - I was at uni so it was mostly beer or spirits as you do in England when you are young!

However since moving here Ive really begun to enjoy my wine and wld say before I had our son I would have a glass or 2 or 3! most nights. DH and I are real home bodies so we?ve never been into going out to bars/ clubs etc and hardly ever had big drinking nights out on the town.

Since having our DS -  what with being pg, then breast feeding I went over a year with hardly having any alcohol at all. No biggie.

But obviously Spain has a big wine culture and I have to say, it?s sooo nice in the summer time, sitting in a beach side restaurant, bar or cafe with some yummy tapas and a nice big chilled glass of crisp white wine....

oh well, not this summer Big Smile

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I enjoy a nice glass of white wine after dinner.  Or with lunch.  I don't go out and get drunk often, but I like a girl's night with happy hour cocktails every once in a while as well.

It doesn't really surprise me when people drink every day (a glass or two) or don't enjoy drinking at all.  It's like people who like or don't like meat.  Not too exciting and everyone has different tastes.  For me a glass of wine helps me wind down after a long day.  Do I absolutely need it?  No.  But that doesn't mean I won't have it if I can.  ;) 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    image101Mims:

I?ve been living in Spain for 13yrs now.

I'd say this impacted my view on alcohol a lot too!  I lived in Madrid for 4 years and everyone has a couple glasses of wine or beers (or beer with lemonade!) a day--one with lunch, one with dinner, and maybe one in between!  I like the laid back atmosphere surrounding alcohol there.  Ahhh, I'm missing Madrid so much.  Germany is nice because it's not insanely hot here, but I love my big city.  Hopefully one day we'll move back. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Only special occasions here - holidays and family get-togethers.  I've been either pregnant or nursing for almost six straight years, so I can't even remember the last time I drank enough to have a buzz.  It's just a few sips here or a half glass there.

• Options
    Usually I drink a (small) glass of wine every Friday night and a sip or two on Saturday for religious reasons. I often at those meals there's a shot or two going around (chocolate liquer, yum - although my husband has been slowly getting me to enjoy a bit of scotch). Other than that, I don't really drink at all unless out with friends or the officemates for a beer. I'm a lightweight so even at those times, I sip. I also stopped drinking (essentially) in November when we started to try. We even switched to grape juice when we were at home for the Friday/Saturday religious drinks, when out since then I've had a sip of wine, but nothing more. The only other time I've really had more than a sip of wine was after my m/c when a friend came over with a bottle of wine that we polished off or when I got AF and I felt totally entitled to a beer or that Friday night shot. 
    TTC 1: Off BCP late October 2011. BFP #1 Jan 2, 2012; EDD September 5, 2012; m/c Jan 12, 2012. BFP #2 June 14, 2012; EDD February 22, 2013.
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
    My super all about me birth story:
    Then: Fraternal twins born at 26 weeks in 1983. Me: 640 grams. Brother: 840 grams. Family kept watch in the NICU for 5 months before being allowed to go home. On oxygen for a year and a half after being released.
    Now: Me: PhD student and married. Brother: Lawyer and married.
    Dad's wedding speech: Thank you to all the family who stood watch and prayed for our children's survival. Well now the little scrawny chicken is married. Who would've thought? (Thanks dad for making me laugh and cry at the same time).
    My BFP Chart
  • Options

imageCupcakeKaper:
    I would have a glass of wine probably 4 or 5 nights a week, bu not more than a glass a night.  For a special occasion I might have more though.

Same here - after college I started learning a lot about wine, so I started pairing wine with dinners I cooked at home.  My husband and I also enjoy wine tastings with our friends.  We were actually planning a second trip this year to Napa & Sonoma, but that trip just went out the window! :)

• Options

I hadnt drank since we started our IVF cycle in the beginning of April,  Before that i drank on the weekends.

~Formerly~AngnShaun~

~~Transferred 2 Perfect Embryos 5/28 - BFP 6/4~~ HAILEY ELIZABETH ~2/16/13~ 6:39am ~ 6lbs 2oz ~ 20" long ~ 1 Year ~ 20lbs 14oz ~ 29.25"~
    ~10.10 Ectopic, 4.11 Nat m/c 9w, 8.11, 1.12, 3.12 CPs~

Follow Me on Pinterest

Angela's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (100-in-2012 shelf)
    imageimage

• Options

Sometimes I'd go for months without drinking; others I'd have a glass of wine or a beer every night for a week! I'm not a heavy drinker anymore - that pretty much stopped after hitting 30 - but I still like my Jack from time to time, too.

imageebwhit:

OMG, how the heck am I supposed to get through the holidays without being able to partake? Without at least a glass of wine (closer to the truth: a couple Jack & cokes), I have no idea how I'm supposed to survive my family for both Thanksgiving AND Christmas. Most years, DH and I split one holiday with each family, but with how far along I'll be come that time of year, a 12-hour drive to Indiana doesn't sound comfortable, so both holidays will be with my family. I LOVE LOVE LOVE his family - they're the sweetest people ever - but my family always has some kind of drama. Also, even though they've been married 50 years, keeping my parents from exploding at each other is something my brother and I prepared to do.

Maybe I'm being too hopeful in thinking that they'll tone things down to keep me stress-free?

BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My family and DH's family only drink around the holidays, and really it's just Thanksgiving and Christmas. We have a "sombrero" contest on Christmas. Everyone drinks (heavily) and whoever is the drunkest without falling asleep or throwing up is the winner. How is the winner determined? By the best RS (rocket scientist) moment. One year my SIL got a flat tire going home...she lives 7 houses down form the party. One year I won because I am allergic to cigarette smoke, but I was lighting up with the best of them that night. DH and I won't be participating this year, but it will be very interesting to see the festivities as a sober person ;)
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker
    image"">
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    You aren't the only one that doesn't drink! I don't either :) 
    BabyFruit Ticker

~I have a baby in heaven 3-20-12~
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"