TTC after 35

Okay, rant about my employer/insurance

So, of course, mere minutes before I start cramping and bleeding yesterday, I picked up and payed OOP for my progesterone suppositories-- you know that med that was going to help me avoid a miscarriage (because I'm old)? Yeah, that one.

I paid $140 when I'm supposed to be paying the remaining $1100 of my garage roof's bill. 

Then I called the OB's office to have them call the insurance company to clarify that I was prescribed the supps to help stay pregnant, not because I'm infertile. The OB's office calls me back to say that I still got rejected. I call the insurance company and they explain to me that it was my employer's choice not to cover the supps no matter what. 

I work for a freaking hospital. My employer's workers are overwhelmingly predominantly women. My progesterone supps that were supposed to help me keep this baby were not covered. WTF is wrong with this picture?!?

I am so going to wait until I'm slightly less hormonal and then I am going to ask to speak to whoever it is who makes the decision on what plan we have. I want to have that person say (preferably to my face) that s/he has no problem with the fact that I spent 5 days without this drug because I had to chase down the insurance company and the OB office and then spend $140 OOP on it-- a drug that *may* have prevented this miscarriage. 

I should probably point out at this time, too, that apparently, if I pay up front in full, I can get a 10% discount on any elective plastic surgery I may want to get from the plastic surgery department.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot. What is effed up about my hospital's priorities for women's health care?!?

*********************************************************************************************

"You have to do your own growing no matter how tall your grandfather was." 
        -- Abraham Lincoln

Me:39  MH:39 
DD born 6/1/2013 after 15 months of TTC with one loss.    
TTC #2: BFP 4/22 but stalled growth and no HB at 9w3d on 5/30        

<a href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3a2798" style="font-size:smaller;" >
<br /> My Ovulation Chart</a>

Re: Okay, rant about my employer/insurance

• That's really lame of them - I am sorry.
    Me:39 Dx LPD, Fibroid, AMA and all that goes with that. H:37 Dx low motility and low morphology. TTC since 3/12. Clomid 8/12 and 9/12: BFN. 11/12 on a break for Myomectomy sched. 11/26. Resume TTC early 2013.
  • That's just so wrong, especially for being a hospital!  That's messed up!  I don't have suppositories but I would have given you my PIO I still have if I had known.

Me:40 AMA, DH:36 0% morph, TTC#1;
    BFP#1 4/2011, MMC 6/2011 11wks Trisomy 13;
    BFP#2 11/2011, CP
    FSH: 17.9, AMH: 2.2
    IVF#1 w/ICSI: ER 4/3: 5R,4M,4F
    ET 4/6 All 4 (1-8A+, 2-8A-, 1-3A) BFP#3
    Two weeks of beta hell = Blighted Ovum
    IVF#2 Aug/Sept: ER 8/27: 4R,3M,3F
    ET 8/30 (1-8A+, 1-6A+)
    Beta#1 9/10: 350; Beta#2 9/12: 796; Beta#3 9/20: 9155
    Expecting Boy/Girl Twins! My babies were born 4/23/13 at 36w1d!

• Loading the player...
  • Aww, thanks, Nukem!

I actually still have the supps and they won't expire for a year. So I'll use them this next time. I'm just pissed off that I'm out the money and that I couldn't have them 5 days earlier when they might have done some good because the pharmacy and I were too busy trying to coordinate with the insurance company.

*********************************************************************************************

-- Abraham Lincoln

<a href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3a2798" style="font-size:smaller;" >

• Yep it sucks.  Mine were $320 for a month and that was with a coupon from the re.  My ins. just doesn't cover this medication at all.  Next time I'll just ask for the prometrium which is like $30.  IF costs are really annoying.
    TTC since Dec. 2010. Me: 37, DH: 38...unexplained RPL
    BFP #1 - missed m/c 4.18.11 found @8w3d, d&c @13w 
    BFP #2 blighted ovum found 8.2011 @8w, misoprostol
    BFP#3 - missed m/c 6.11.12 @ 9w3d, d&c revealed extra chromosome 15
    BFP#4 8.10.12, DD born 4/26/13
  • I'm sorry, insurance is so tough, I argue constantly. Not sure if this helps...but I've always been told by my doc, prog won't prevent a m/c, just helps support a healthy one. I took it with all of my pregnancies and and can attest that's held true for me. Hugs to you during this time.

imageimage 

6/20/11 mc @ 5wks
    10/19/11 mc @ 17wks- Trisomy 18
    IUI #1 4/26/12 BFN
    Moving on to IVF in July
    37 with DOR...fabulous
    ER 7/14/12 6R 5F, ET 7/17 3 embies, beta #1 7/26: 147, beta #2 7/28: 326, beta#3 7/30: 422...ugh, beta#4 7/31: 607...hopeful, beta #5 8/2: 1280, beta #6 8/7: 7184 and u/s shows 1 possibly 2 sacs! 8/14 2 beautiful heartbeats! 9/24 we are TEAM BLUE!!!!!

• imagemrsjami:
    I'm sorry, insurance is so tough, I argue constantly. Not sure if this helps...but I've always been told by my doc, prog won't prevent a m/c, just helps support a healthy one. I took it with all of my pregnancies and and can attest that's held true for me. Hugs to you during this time.

That's the thing, though-- we have no idea if the egg was bad or my uterine lining... 

I'll be running tests next cycle to check all these things, now that I'm no longer pregnant and will have a next cycle.

-- Abraham Lincoln

• The insurance thing sucks beyond belief and trust me, even though I work in HR, I don't actually have a say in what is covered under our particular plan, and I know I'm being a bit of an objective ass'***%^% but the insurance companies typically outsource prescription services, so its a toss up about what will be covered. I could push for a fully loaded benefit plan, but then many of my co-workers might not be able to afford the employee contributions to remain in the plan. My progesterone costs the most out of all my meds, I guess I'm just saying don't go all guns loaded on your HR person because ultimately they might not be the final decison maker on those types of things...it just sucks plain and simple

nate and teddy
    Me 41 DH 46  Not actively ttc, surprise BFP on 1/6/11! 4/1/11 m/c our sunshine at 16wks after complications from CVS test. TTC #2 **5th cycle 12/6/11 BFP! Missed m/c at 9 weeks 1/21/12, trisomy 14. Two Chemical PG 3/12&7/12
    ** BFP 8/16/12 beta #1 148! beta#2 407 beta #3 4000 u/s 9.10 1 lovely hb 126, Baby Boy is due 04/28/13!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imagedhreczuck:

The insurance thing sucks beyond belief and trust me, even though I work in HR, I don't actually have a say in what is covered under our particular plan, and I know I'm being a bit of an objective ass'***%^% but the insurance companies typically outsource prescription services, so its a toss up about what will be covered. I could push for a fully loaded benefit plan, but then many of my co-workers might not be able to afford the employee contributions to remain in the plan. My progesterone costs the most out of all my meds, I guess I'm just saying don't go all guns loaded on your HR person because ultimately they might not be the final decison maker on those types of things...it just sucks plain and simple

Oh no-- I'm planning on asking who it is (what committee, whatever) who chooses our plan. My insurance company has 2 options for the prescription plans-- one that covers the progesterone and one that doesn't. I want to know why, when we have a majority of female employees, something like progesterone supps (as prenatal care, not as IF treatment) isn't part of the plan they chose to take for us. And keep in mind, our hospital owns the freaking pharmacy that supplies the meds to its staff.

I just want an explanation. I think I'm entitled, since I get paid less than the state-- let alone federal-- standard for a nurse.

-- Abraham Lincoln

• Insurance sucks big time!  I also found out my insurance covers infertility drug not testing or treatment......so what's wrong with the picture?  If you don't have $ to pay for testing and treatment, how's the coverage of the drug help.  Well on the other note, the radiology place called me and said they will give me 30% discount on my HSG test.  As much as I am appreciative of the discount, it is still $700. 

• imagejchow009:

Insurance sucks big time!  I also found out my insurance covers infertility drug not testing or treatment......so what's wrong with the picture?  If you don't have $ to pay for testing and treatment, how's the coverage of the drug help.  Well on the other note, the radiology place called me and said they will give me 30% discount on my HSG test.  As much as I am appreciative of the discount, it is still $700. 

Can you go to a place outside of NYC?? I mean, if you're paying OOP anyhow, maybe you can go to a place that will give you a discount on a much smaller fee to begin with??

-- Abraham Lincoln

• I am meeting my RE next week, I guess then I'll ask what kind of tests I need.  I think some of the basic blood work I can use my family doctor and that probably cover.  I already took the HSG test, so I have to pay that bill nomatter what.  But going forward, I'll definitely check around.

• thats horrible ... i have never understood why they do and dont cover things :)
  • I hope you get some answers - my insurance covers nothing for anything if they pay anything I'm amazed.  We have a flex plan at work but it's limited to what you can put in a year and doesn't come close to what this is costing us OOP.  I completely sympathize with you insurance sucks!!

Me 38 MH 41 - TTC since June 2010 - dx with Severe MFI. Straight to IVF with ICSI. IVF #1 - ER 06/13/12 - 9 Eggs Retrieved - 4 ICSI'd - only 2 fert. 06/15/12 - 2DT - 3 cell & 6 cell with fragmentation. Beta 06/29/12 - IVF #1 = BFN. 07/20/12 - WTF Appt -Told by our RE to quit IVF. Second Opinion from RE is good. IVF#2 - November 2012. Estradiol Pills Started 11/6. Stims start 11/16. ER 11/26 - 7 eggs retrieved - all mature. 4 fertilized with ICSI. ET 11/29 Transferred 3 embryos. Beta is 12/10. 1st Beta 81 2nd Beta 160 and 3rd beta 360!!! First U/S 12/21/12 - We saw one beautiful gest. sac. 2nd U/S is 01/04/2013 - H/B 183 02/05/13 - NT Scan - everything looks good and IT'S A BOY!  Aiden was born 08/20/2013.

IVF #2 is in progress.  ER was 05/12/14 - 11 eggs retrieved, 8 fertilized with ICSI.  ET was 05/15/14 - we transferred 3 embryos as we did on the cycle my son was conceived.  We were able to freeze 3 embryos. Beta is scheduled for 05/26/14.  1st beta - 111.  2nd beta - 159 didn't double :( 3rd beta Friday 5/30) - not a lot of hope left. Beta # 3 is 247 - probably ectopic.  Beta # 4 is 813 - possibly vanishing multiple sydrome?  06/05/14 - 5w4days - first U/S - we see a gestational sac and yolk - still have hope!  06/17/14 - 7w1day - U/S and saw and heard the heartbeat - Finally!  06/27/14 - 8w4days - Baby and heartbeat look and sound great :)  EDD 02/01/14 and It's a boy!

"Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end."

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"