February 2013 Moms
Options

Should I be worried about this Dr.'s Practice?

I decided to change OB's since me and my husband were not too pleased with my last OB. I've only been in the area for about 2 years and not sure about the finding a good Dr. Anyways- a friend recommended her OB/GYN and said she is a great Dr. and great bedside manner. Something I wanted in a new Dr., only thing is my friend who recommended her does not have kids. So I looked up this Dr. and she has great reviews. I called to make an appointment and they scheduled it for July 14th. In hindsight, I realized they never asked me what I'm coming in for. Don't they need to know this? Aren't they supposed to ask me questions like - why are you coming in? How far along are you? What are your symptoms? Are you cramping or bleeding? Or warn me if I have any cramping and bleeding to go to the emergency room?

I'm starting to get worried about my choice in Dr.'s. I didn't think anything about it at first because the appointment ended up being around 8 weeks - when I expected to go in. It's just striking me odd they didn't ask questions when I made the appointment as a new patient.  

I'm just going to go visit and see how I feel about everythng. After having a bad experience the first go round- you know what questions to ask.

Anyone else call to make an appointment and they didn't ask questions? I'm curious. 

Re: Should I be worried about this Dr.'s Practice?

• Options

No ob has ever asked me that, they just asked when my last period was and set up the appt based on that.  What did you say when you called?  did you tell them you were pregnant?

~Formerly~AngnShaun~

~~Transferred 2 Perfect Embryos 5/28 - BFP 6/4~~ HAILEY ELIZABETH ~2/16/13~ 6:39am ~ 6lbs 2oz ~ 20" long ~ 1 Year ~ 20lbs 14oz ~ 29.25"~
    ~10.10 Ectopic, 4.11 Nat m/c 9w, 8.11, 1.12, 3.12 CPs~

Follow Me on Pinterest

Angela's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (100-in-2012 shelf)
    imageimage

• Options
    when I called to make my appointment I told them I needed to schedule a first prenatal appointment with doctor such and such. That way they knew. the only Q the nurse asked was when I thought my last period started. I know they get really busy and I just made it easier for them by telling them what I needed. Take charge and make sure they know what you need. I'm sure they aren't a bad practice just because they didn't ask what you were coming in for. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageMrsPandolph:
    when I called to make my appointment I told them I needed to schedule a first prenatal appointment with doctor such and such. That way they knew. the only Q the nurse asked was when I thought my last period started. I know they get really busy and I just made it easier for them by telling them what I needed. Take charge and make sure they know what you need. I'm sure they aren't a bad practice just because they didn't ask what you were coming in for. 

This. The majority of women who call them to set up a first appointment are not pregnant. It's not their fault for not assuming you are. I think you should call back and say that you forgot to mention that it will be for your first prenatal. I'm guessing they're assuming it's for your annual.

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• Options
    Yeah, I wouldn't overthink this too much. When I went in for my first OB appt with this pregnancy they have on the chart "OB problem" and so really nobody knew what I was there for until I told them. I don' t think this at all effects the quality of care or the type of office I am dealing with, I think some people just like to be more private and they respect that.
  • Options

I called my OB and they asked when my LMP was and made my appointment for July 23rd. 

I do plan on calling to check out a new OB. So, we'll see what happens with that.  

• Options

imageMrsPandolph:

This is exactly how the conversation went when I made my appt. I said I need to make an appointment because I just got a positive pregnancy test. She said when was my last period and then she set me up for 8 weeks. There was no other questioning or advise and really it's not the receptionists job to be doling out or asking that specific of information.  

• Options
    I guess it is my fault for not telling them. I just called to ask if she was taking new patients and then they just said yes and starting asking me my name and blah blah. I guess I can call them back, I just feel stupid now.
  • Options

imageamyc78741:
    I guess it is my fault for not telling them. I just called to ask if she was taking new patients and then they just said yes and starting asking me my name and blah blah. I guess I can call them back, I just feel stupid now.

Don't feel stupid! Making a first appointment there is probably a ton of things running through your head and if you're like me, I always forget what I want to ask or some things I want to mention until I'm already off the phone! lol Just call them back and try the OB out. It's great you have a friend that gave you a recommendation to the doc so I would definitely go to the appointment and then decide how the practice is overall :) good luck! 

• Options
    My dr is a new dr for me. I called and said new patient, positive pregnancy test, last period...all that, made apt...something didn't get recorded correctly, nurse had no clue I was prenatal...ended up being kind of a fu many exchange of question and answer, she thought she was breaking the new to me that I was pregnant and hoping I took it well....we just laughed and laughed....all that to LOVE my new dr and be so happy with the practice!! So, I wouldn't let a little thing like that be a deciding factor!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    My dr is a new dr for me. I called and said new patient, positive pregnancy test, last period...all that, made apt...something didn't get recorded correctly, nurse had no clue I was prenatal...ended up being kind of a funny exchange of question and answer, she thought she was breaking the new to me that I was pregnant and hoping I took it well....we just laughed and laughed....all that to LOVE my new dr and be so happy with the practice!! So, I wouldn't let a little thing like that be a deciding factor!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    No I wouldnt be worried...in my experience most office dont ask what  your appt is for, you have to specify...sometimes even when I have already had a prenatal appt or when I had a loss when I would call to schedule an appt its like they didnt even have my chart in front of them! they didnt know why I was calling half the time and I had already been seen for being pregnant or having a loss! just call back and let them know its a prenatal you are a new patient and would like to be seen asap if possible....
  • Options

I work for an opthalmology practice.  You call, and don't say what you need, you get scheduled for a routine eye exam...

My Ob's practice didn't ask me any of those questions.  If I bleed, I tell them....

• Options
    I have never heard of any OB asking these things over the phone. All they do is make me an appt. 
    IVF #1 BFN... IVF #2 BFP! TWINS!
    Twins born too early at 23 weeks due to incompetent cervix
    FET #1, IUI #1, 2, 3, 4 - all BFN
    IVF #3 BFP!!! IT'S A BOY! Born July 16th, 2011
    FET #2 BFP! Due February 15, 2013
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"