February 2013 Moms
Options

I have to drink how much water before my ultra sound??

I have my first ultra sound tomorrow! I am so excited and nervous at the same time! This may be a really silly question....My doctor told me I am to drink 32oz of water one hour prior to my appointment time. Does that mean I need to drink 32 oz before 3 if that is when my appointment is? or 2 if my appointment is at 3? I think it would make sense to be before 3 right?? and Why that much water???
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: I have to drink how much water before my ultra sound??

• Options

I was told the same thing for my appointment tomorrow. They said "No caffeinated or carbonated beverages because that will make you have to pee." I'm thinking 32 oz. of ANY fluid will make me have to pee!

Edited to add: I think it just needs to be at 2 then if they told you an hour before your appointment. They just told me to drink it before I come in. Sorry that probably doesn't answer your question! 

Lilypie - (KNqh)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Me too! I don't know how I am going to do that!
  • Options
    I never listened to that recommendation. At 5 months pregnant I always had a full bladder, no matter how little I drank.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    September 2015 Siggy Challenge - Happy Dance
  • Options
    In the past - I always drink 32 oz up to my appointment time.  I usually don't pee for 2 hours before appointment time and like to finish the last few ounces when I get there. At our clinic they focus more on the not peeing before your appointment time than the physical amount of water you drink... I usually come close to peeing on the table with all the pressure pushing on my bladder...
  • Options
    No I think that definitely helped! Thanks!  I was hoping it was just right before. I don't think I could hold in 32 oz for 2 hours, especially with someone pressing on my belly to get a ultra sound picture.
  • Options
    I think as long as you have that 32 oz in you when you walk in the door, you're good. I learned the hard way when I had to get an ultrasound of my ovaries once. I started wayyy too early and I've never had to pee so badly in my life, and the tech pressing on my abdomen did not help!
  • Options
    I'm so glad you posted this  i have my first u/s tomorrow too and when I called the radiology dept to make the appoitment the lady says "oh did your dr tell you about the drinking water thing". I'm glad she mentioned this otherwise wouldve never known  
  • Options

I have heard about this, but never had to do it.

At both of my 1st appts, they had me pee in a cup before I got a u/s.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Drinking water is for abdominal u/s, but we are not far enough along for that. That's odd he told you this. It should be the opposite. 
    IVF #1 BFN... IVF #2 BFP! TWINS!
    Twins born too early at 23 weeks due to incompetent cervix
    FET #1, IUI #1, 2, 3, 4 - all BFN
    IVF #3 BFP!!! IT'S A BOY! Born July 16th, 2011
    FET #2 BFP! Due February 15, 2013
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

imageSPerry0376:
    Drinking water is for abdominal u/s, but we are not far enough along for that. That's odd he told you this. It should be the opposite. 

Huh. They said when they were making my appointment that it was trans-vaginal, but they still told me to drink the water. They said to empty my bladder and then start drinking. I don't know. I guess I am just going to drink the water anyway.  

Lilypie - (KNqh)
  • Options
    My doctor laughed at me last time when I asked about this. They said it wasn't neccesary. And 32 oz is ridiculous. I'm pretty sure that 12 oz would be MORE than enough to fill my bladder to the bursting point.
  • Options
    Okay I'm glad I'm not crazy!! I thought this was a crazy amount too! Well, I guess I will drink as much as I can, and try to finish the last bit until I get to the office.
  • Options

For an external ultrasound. You have to drink your 32 ounces an hour before. My guidelines said to empty my bladder, then drink all 32 ounces within 15 minutes.

Good luck! 

• Options
    That is very strange... my OB actually had me completely empty my bladder before my vaginal u/s. You're sure they aren't doing an abdominal?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    My doctor said to drink 16 oz. I drank 8 oz. They ended up having me empty my bladder when they needed a urine sample and did an internal ultrasound, so it was kind of pointless.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    With my first child they had me drink that much but with the second child they said that was kind of old school and just make sure I was hydrated.
    Samuel  2.26.06 41w ASD/ADHD
    Eli  6.18.09 35.5w
    Silas  1.25.13 35.4w 10 days NICU, allergies/asthma, gluten intolerant

• Options
    I've had two sonos and i didn't have to have a full bladder.
    ~Formerly~AngnShaun~

~~Transferred 2 Perfect Embryos 5/28 - BFP 6/4~~ HAILEY ELIZABETH ~2/16/13~ 6:39am ~ 6lbs 2oz ~ 20" long ~ 1 Year ~ 20lbs 14oz ~ 29.25"~
    ~10.10 Ectopic, 4.11 Nat m/c 9w, 8.11, 1.12, 3.12 CPs~

Follow Me on Pinterest

Angela's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (100-in-2012 shelf)
    imageimage

• Options
    My tech said to just drink what I can, but to make sure it wasn't anything "with bubbles" because the bubbles can get in the way of what they are trying to see...  She said not to stress about choking down a certain amount of water, but to drink a "couple of glasses" before the visit...
    Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I just scanned the comments, but if you are lucky like I was with the last LO, you'll drink all of that, then end up waiting forever, and then they'll tell you to go pee because they'll want to do a transvaginal scan instead! :)  I'm not sure 32 oz is necessary at all.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageDC2London:
    I followed those directions to the letter (I took it as "don't pee less than an hour before appt, and drink 32 oz of fluid between your last pee and your u/s." Since my old u/s place always ran way behind, I finished my water in the waiting room).  Anyway, my bladder was actually TOO full and she had me pee then wait ten minutes.  WIthin ten minutes my bladder was full enough again to get a great pic.

This also happened to me! Basically the rule is that you want to have your bladder relatively full for the u/s but don't go overboard on the water because you may have empty it to see anything. :)

When setting up my second u/s yesterday the receptionist told me they say 32 oz but if you feel like you have to pee by the time you go in for the u/s you are good.

• Options
    Mash67Mash67 member
    imageSPerry0376:
    Drinking water is for abdominal u/s, but we are not far enough along for that'd. That's odd he told you this. It should be the opposite. 
    This, I actually had to correct the secretary. When she told me I needed a full bladder. I told her its a vag us and I dont have ti have a full bladder.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"