Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

If you got the embryo/fetus tested...

If you feel open to it, can you share any results you received if you had the embryo/fetus tested after a miscarriage? If they found something, or found nothing, I'd be interested in hearing about your experience.

Also, I know the usual route to get the tissue tested is having a D&C, but did anyone collect it at home and bring it in to get tested? Thank you.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: If you got the embryo/fetus tested...

• I think getting the fetus tested is great idea. I asked my doctor about this and she said that she will try but because I have started bleeding the sample may be infected. With my last loss I had it tested and she had Mosaic Turner Syndrome.

5/9/2013 = Our rainbow was born!!

08/18/2012 - BFP (Hoping this is our rainbow!)
    06/24/2012 - Loss confirmed at 12 weeks
    12/14/2010 - Loss baby girl at 20 weeks due to Turner Syndrome
    01/2009 - Chemical Pregnancy

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

My Blog

• I had an emergency surgery, because they thought it was ectopic. Thankfully it wasn't, and they did a D&C to remove what was in the uterus. They automatically sent the tissue to the lab to analyze, so I didn't have to make the decision. The result was that it was placental tissue but no embryonic tissue, so they concluded it was a blighted ovum (the placenta developed but the embryo didn't).

For me it really helped to know the results, because it helped me to better understand what had happened. I'm not sure what the process would have been if I had miscarried naturally and it wasn't in an emergency situation.

Thinking of you as you decide how to proceed, and I'm so sorry for your loss. *hugs*

Married to the love of my life for 3 years :)
    First pregnancy - blighted ovum, miscarriage at 10 weeks, Apr./May 2012
    Second BFP 9/19/12 - Hoping for our Rainbow Baby! :)

imageimage image
    Pregnancy Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I had a D&C and had the tissue sent to pathology for testing. It came back showing Triploidy. I was glad to have a reason, and felt better knowing it was a supposedly random event and not due to any other fertility issues we've been having. When I finally got the results in the mail, I was not expecting to see the sex of the baby noted (male), so that pretty much sucked.

• With my first D&C, despite seeing the baby on the ultrasound the report came back saying "No products of conception were found.". That was rough, like WTF? We all saw the baby, we saw the sac, what do you mean nothing was found?! 

With my second D&C, the results came back 46xx.  

[spoiler] My Blog: Grow Baby Grow

BFP #1: 12/2009 m/c 1/2010 BFP #2: 6/2010 m/c 8/2010

BFP #3: 10/2011 ectopic 11/2011 (right tube removed, learned left tube was probably nonfunctional due to scar tissue from infection after m/c)

3 failed IUIs, IVF #1: 18R, 12M, 10F, 3 poor quality 5d embryos transferred= BFP #4!!!!!

Betas: 9dp5dt: 64 ~14dp5dt: 91 (expecting miscarriage, doubling time of 236 hours) ~16dp5dt: 200~18dp5dt: 500

First Ultrasound at 6w2d revealed two sacs, only one with a heartbeat

LK arrived after 42 weeks on August 14, 2013! Beautiful, healthy, and happy!

TTC#2: IVF booked for April 2015

Surprise BFP#5 February 19, 2015 EDD: November 2, 2015

Betas: 10dpo: 10, 14dpo: 77, 17dpo: 270

First Ultrasound at 5w1d showed a miracle UTE baby! And right ovary ovulation to left fallopian tube.

JD arrived at 38 weeks on October 20, 2015.

TTC #3: Since October 2017. BFP #6 July 2, 2018 EDD: March 16, 2019 [/spoiler]

• Thanks everyone for sharing your stories. I don't think I want to know the sex either. It's too sad and will cause me to dwell more than I am already. I wonder if I will have the choice or if I will find out without expecting it.

imagedmalone1024:

After my second D&C, the tissue was tested and everything came back normal. While this is good news because me & DH don't have any chromo issues, it hit me kind of hard because the baby was normal. Since the tissue results came back as normal, we started doing blood work, which has all been negative (good news!). My next and final test is a hysterosonogram (done between days 7-10 of my cycle). If all that's normal, then we're good to TTC... My doc is convinced we were "struck by lightening twice" and at least the tests are showing that, too.

Dmalone - Did your doctor offer some possible explanations about what might cause a chromosomally normal fetus to not survive, especially if all the other testing comes back negative too? It seems like there has to be a reason....I just wonder what doctors have to say about this.

• imagebobbydsgirl:

Thanks everyone for sharing your stories. I don't think I want to know the sex either. It's too sad and will cause me to dwell more than I am already. I wonder if I will have the choice or if I will find out without expecting it.

imagedmalone1024:

After my second D&C, the tissue was tested and everything came back normal. While this is good news because me & DH don't have any chromo issues, it hit me kind of hard because the baby was normal. Since the tissue results came back as normal, we started doing blood work, which has all been negative (good news!). My next and final test is a hysterosonogram (done between days 7-10 of my cycle). If all that's normal, then we're good to TTC... My doc is convinced we were "struck by lightening twice" and at least the tests are showing that, too.

Dmalone - Did your doctor offer some possible explanations about what might cause a chromosomally normal fetus to not survive, especially if all the other testing comes back negative too? It seems like there has to be a reason....I just wonder what doctors have to say about this.

My results also came back normal (46xx).  My Reproductive Endocrinologist said that can actually be a bad thing because most m/c are caused by genetic abnormalities.  My m/c was at 10w5d and we had seen the hb 8 times so that might be part of his concern.  He also mentioned there could be a problem with my uterus although I've already had a hysteroscopy.  Anyway, he said we may never know what happened.  Last week I had a RPL (repeat pregnancy loss) panel done to test for clotting  and additional genetic disorders.  We had already done the basic genetics since we did IVF.  We get the results of the RPL next Monday.

I'm pretty sure the tissue has to be collected in a sterile environment but it would be worth asking.  Good luck and sorry for your loss. 

After more than 2 years of fertility treatments, FET did the trick!
    IVF March 2012 - BFP! - Severe OHSS = 8 days in the hospital in kidney failure
    No heartbeat at 10w6d
    FET August 27,2012 = BFP!
    It's a boy!
    My Blog - 3 Dogs, No Baby

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I had tissue tested after my 3rd loss and it came back normal. I did find out the sex, thinking it would help with grieving and to make it more of a reality. That's just for me. "Normal" is more frustrating than having a cause, in this case at least bc of as PP mentioned, miscarriages usually happen bc of "abnormal" stuff.

4 Losses (2003, 2008, Apr 2012, & Oct 2012)
    All RPL and IF testing with multiple REs = normal

5 IUIs = BFN

All AL are welcome
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"