Multiples

Feeling panic about c-section, help!

At my appointment today we discovered that both babies are still breech with their heads up under my right ribs and their feet in or near my pelvis. This is the same position they?ve been in nearly all along. Granted I'm only 29 weeks but my doctor said today that I am "chock full of babies" and to fully expect a C-section. She said that chances of a vaginal birth were slim to none as the babies had run out of room (I?m measuring full term already). My doctors will not attempt a breech extraction so in order to get my wish they would both have to turn quite significantly. I desperately wanted to avoid a c/s. I?ve never had surgery and was in my own crazy way looking forward to the experience of vaginal birth so I feel a bit sad and stressed about it all.

For those of you that have had c/s, how long after they were born were you able to hold and/or nurse your babies? I feel like that?s the biggest emotional hurdle for me right now and if I can just get my head around what to expect I might feel less afraid. I had so looked forward to that moment where they place the babies on my chest and I meet them for the first time but now I worry it will be hours before I get to see or touch them. Although I am trying to maintain a positive attitude and look at the whole picture I making myself miserable thinking about all of the possible negative aspects of a c/s. Talk me down, sisters.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Feeling panic about c-section, help!

• I wouldn't get too discouraged yet. My babies were still flipping the day before delivery at 36w5d. Which is why I had a c/s. Honestly I enjoyed the c/s. I got to see my babies after they were wrapped (still dirty) right away. The the next room was recovery where they bathed the twins. I was wheeled in there and held one baby while the other was cleaned up. I held them within 20 min of them being born which is WAY sooner than my vaginal birth at 41 weeks with DD1. They didn't put her on my chest just took her across the room and cleaned her up for over an hour then I got to hold her! And as far as nursing I'm not sure I'm not nursing just pumping and I pumped probably 6 hours after section. Once I could slightly sit up without being nauseous. GL
  • I had mine at 38 weeks and held them pretty quickly, within minutes I'd say. My babies were both sideways for months so I also had time to mentally prepare myself for the c/s. 

Unless they go to the nicu you should be able to see them instantly and hold them soon after. I actually have a framed picture from the operating room of me holding both babies, I had a smooth c/s experience and am glad my babies were born healthy :) 

Also the best way to have a c/s is to have it planned : no labor pains or dilating for me. It was calm and everyone was positive during the whole thing. It was an exciting event.  

Married 07/2011 <3
    ID Twin girls 04/2012 <3<3
    Baby #3 Due Jan. 2017  <3

• Loading the player...
  • My doctor was pretty much adament that I would end up with a c-section.  I was hopeful I wouldn't but baby a was breech from week 28 or so, and decided that she was staying put!  I was terrified especially since I had a perfect vaginal delivery with my son.  I won't speak too much about the after part since my girls were a little early and had to go to the NICU, I got to see them both right away.  Baby a, I was able to kiss and snuggle while I was being stitched and before she went downstairs.  Baby b I didn't get to see for a little while except for when they held her up when she came out.  I'm sure I would have held them right away had they not had to go to the NICU.  I pumped probably about 6 hours after too.  As far as recovery I did not take any of my pain meds after I was discharged, just motrin.  The pain pump was my friend though however long they let me use it after surgery (I was a little out of it so I can't remember how long).  I was uncomfortable but not nearly as bad as I thought and I got out of bed as soon as I could!  GL!

• I was terrified about having a c-section and I can now tell you that all my panic was for absolutely nothing. I had major complications with mine and it turned into something much more serious but I still would do another c-section in a heartbeat. I have never done a vaginal birth but the section was so easy. I was showering the next day and off all pain meds after six days. I was able to hold my babies after I was out of recovery, but that's bc I had to have another Surgery after my c-section. I was still happy with how soon I got to see them. Just try and relax, it sounds like its all out of your control so as long as you have faith in your doctors that's the best you can do. Good luck and no matter what it's all worth it in the end! :)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • And yet again, here we are together. These two are either transverse or breech, never head down. I'm just trying to mentally prepare :(
  • If it helps, I have a video of my c/s on my blog. There is a link to videos at the top, and I think its in there. :)
    How to tell my boys apart

The different types of twins and triplets

Jack, Sydney and Carynne, Annaleigh, JW, Eden...forever in our hearts.
    My blog * We made the national news!
  • I thought that my C-section was great. The babies were still placed on my chest within about 5 minutes of being born (my hospital is BIG on skin to skin), and I was BFing in the recovery room within 30 minutes. DH went with them to the nursery to get bathed and monitored while I was getting closed up. I was fairly uncomfortable for a day, but by the end of day two I felt great. I can't imagine that a vaginal birth would be any smoother sailing. I'm really sorry that you may not get things that way you had intended, but they still may flip around in there so I will keep my fingers crossed for you. If not, I can honestly say that I will welcome a repeat C-section for my next pregnancy because it wasn't bad at all :D 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You ladies are so awesome. It's amazing how much this community helps me!

Jellolz - Ugh! Why do our babies have to copy each other with every little thing? Silly munchkins. I'll keep my fingers crossed for both of us. Hopefully these posts helped you feel a little better, I know they made me feel better. Keep my updated!

• Pea-kay, I think I might just be brave enough to watch that, thanks! It might have to wait until I get home from work though haha

• My situation is a little different because the girls were preemies, so we had that element added in, but once the doctors were done checking them out, they let DH bring Lil (she was breathing on her own and didn't need immediate assistance) to me for a minute. I didn't get to see Abby in the delivery room, but that was only because she was really struggling. 

I think that many of your concerns depend on hospital policy, so make sure to ask what you can expect where you deliver.  

• My babies never left my side. Within an hour of their birth I was nursing them. Right after that, we were wheeled to a post partum room where they were given their first baths and we did skin-to-skin directly after that.
    IUI #1 and #2 = BFN
    IVF#1 = BFN, no frosties

IVF #2 = BFP!! TWINS!!! Born 3/9/12

FET #1 = BFP!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I think the previous responses have probably eased your mind quite a bit, but if you want more, here are my blog posts about how the c/s birth of my twins and my recover went.  Long story short, I was also breastfeeding within an hour of their birth, and the recovery was hardly an issue at all.
  • I had 2 vaginal births with single babies before having a c-section with my twins in April.  Honestly, I think the section was wayyyyy easier.  I tore with my first vag delivery and I swear I didn't heal for MONTHS.  I could barely sit, had to use pain spray, was terrified to poop, etc  It was terrible.  I was scared of the c-section as well but really, it was easy.  I was in labor, got the spinal, had the c-section and then was able to see the babies in the recovery area.  I could have nursed a few hours later but was too exhausted but held them with  no problems.  I didn't get out of bed for a day and when I did, that was painful but for the most part, with the pain meds, I was fine.  I took it easy for the first 2 weeks but after that It wasn't bad.  I know everyone is different but I had a great experience and if I would have known before, I'd rather have a c-section that have the traumatic vag birth! Man, it was bad. My scar now is a skinny pink line and barely noticable.  I hope my positive story helps ease your nerves a bit.  Now I probably scared you about the vag delivery.  Sorry.  :) 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"