High-Risk Pregnancy

New here - Double Outlet Right Ventricle - 23 weeks pregnant

Any moms here have any experience with this?  We found out on the 13th, and finally decided to move forward with the pregnancy, and hope and pray the drs at Children's can fix baby boys heart.  3 rounds of open heart surgery.  Lord help me.

Anyway, anyone?  Would love to chat and support one another.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: New here - Double Outlet Right Ventricle - 23 weeks pregnant

• Thanks!  Found it over there. 
  • BLuvsEBLuvsE member

I don't personally have experience with this, but I have a friend whose son was born with some heart issues and had several open heart surgeries.

He is 8 years old, happy, and super healthy. He participates in kids' marathons and triathlons, loves to play on his grandparents' farm with all the horses, and plays all kinds of sports.

11/27/12
    First Child born

5/5/14 and 6/5/14
    Twins born into Heaven 
    BFP - 4/6/14, due date 12/8/14. First twin M/C at home - 5/5/14, Second twin D&C - 6/5/14

11/14
    Chemical Pregnancy

9/5/15
    Second after severe bleeding for 18 weeks due to subchorionic hematoma

Currently
    Expecting Number 3 due 10/31/2020
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks BLuvsE - I will take all the positive stories of success out there!!
  • I'm a hospital social worker and did a fellowship on a pediatric cardiovascular ICU.  I saw several babies with this diagnosis go through the surgeries. Babies/kids are amazingly resilient and are much better patients than adults.  It is way harder on the parents than on the children. I know that it means it will still be hard on you, but children tolerate the surgery and hospitalization remarkably well.

My hospital had a mentor program where pregnant couples could connect with parents with children who had gone through the surgeries.  It might be worth calling the hospital and asking to talk to the social worker to see if they can connect you to someone.

Good luck 

• The doctors all tell me that modern medicine can fix this, so I am trying to remain hopeful.

And, yes, we have been in touch with a local family who has a 1 year old son who has a similar diagnosis, and has been through 2 of the 3.  He is doing great, and part of the reason we decided to give this a shot.  So thank you for the idea  :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"