Baby Showers
Options

No Rainbows, No Unicorns, Baby Shower Etiquette

So I was bored at work this morning and being this has been such a HUGE topic the last few days I thought what the hell let me see what I can find. After about 35 or so websites this morning they ALL pretty much said the same thing that the ?etiquette police? have been saying all along.

So as I originally thought:

Sjgur1784

SmileyGirl

Cranang

MandJS

and a few more I am sure I am leaving out (sorry ladies) WERE RIGHT!!!!!!!

and what is more interesting is not too many websites (in fact I only found 3) said to buy gifts, most said hand me downs or handmade gifts were more appropriate. Here is a few links to show what I found.

Now feel free to slam me on your monthly boards as you all seem to run off and do but it doesn?t change the fact that the women mentioned above plus a few others I may have left out WERE RIGHT!!!

Your wrong to host your own shower, your wrong to complain about the gifts you received, and in fact no one HAS TO BUY YOU ANYTHING. If you can?t afford to buy your baby what he or she needs that?s your fault not the fault of others because they didn?t buy off your registry.

https://www.marthastewart.com/274679/baby-shower-planning-and-etiquette/@center/276963/baby-shower-ideas#/205049

https://www.storknet.com/cubbies/babyshowers/etiquette.htm

https://www.whattoexpect.com/pregnancy/ask-heidi/baby-shower-etiquette.aspx
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: No Rainbows, No Unicorns, Baby Shower Etiquette

• Options

You left out Emily Post's thoughts on second showers: Technically they are ok, if they are small.

https://www.emilypost.com/social-life/celebrations-through-life/456-baby-shower-questions-answered

Baby Shower: FAQs

Encore Baby Showers:

Is it proper to give a baby shower for a second baby? Some say that baby showers should only be given for the first born.

It's fine to have a baby shower for a second or third baby. Immediate family and very close friends are usually included, but otherwise choose guests who did not attend a shower for a previous child.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

It seems unhealthy to be spending so much time researching and being angry and smug about this issue. Maybe you are avoiding something else that is bothering you? Or maybe you just need a productive hobby. I don't disagree with your etiquette points but the phenomenon of both non-pregnant women being obsessed with this board and pregnant women spending their time doing research on the subject and copy/pasting their research is a bit disturbing.  

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageKayaXavier:

It seems unhealthy to be spending so much time researching and being angry and smug about this issue. Maybe you are avoiding something else that is bothering you? Or maybe you just need a productive hobby. I don't disagree with your etiquette points but the phenomenon of both non-pregnant women being obsessed with this board and pregnant women spending their time doing research on the subject and copy/pasting their research is a bit disturbing.  

And how does her doing some research affect you, at all?  You sound bitter.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageKayaXavier:

No hobby needed, like I said I was seriously bored at work this morning and thought what the heck let?s see who is right and who is wrong. Face fact it?s wrong to throw your own shower, and it?s seriously wrong to complain about the gifts you were given.

Like I said you can slam me, I wear my big girl panties and can take it. 

• Options
    That's just like your opinion, man.
  • Options
    I'm just waiting for a whole bunch of people to come in here screaming, "you're wrong, you don't know my lyfe!!!!!"
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• Options

imageLiz4444:
    I'm just waiting for a whole bunch of people to come in here screaming, "you're wrong, you don't know my lyfe!!!!!"

LOL Me to I am so waiting for it.  

• Options

Guys, that's just KayaXavier.  She doesn't even factor in here. 

ETA:  I thought she'd figured out what this website is, but when I went back and read it, I found that she is still just as clueless as ever.  She doesn't understand why women who aren't pregnant would be on The Bump.  She is a first-class super genius.

• Options

imageLiz4444:

I bet they feel bad for our babies and husbands, too.

• Options
    imageKayaXavier:

What is your hang up with non pregnant people bung on here? So you are only allowed to attend/throw a shower if PG.

*writes that down in notepad* 

• Options

imageLiz4444:

Maybe we should post a linky on December2012...'cause I'm bored at work..

• Options
    imagemabenner1:

imageLiz4444:

I bet they feel bad for our babies and husbands, too.

I'm sure they do. 

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• Options
    imageKayaXavier:

OK, so GTFO.  

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I will admit to being a non-preggers lurker who likes this board a lot (Or should I say alot? Kidding, I'm talking about that funny blog). I like this board because I am getting married in Oct and I cannot wait to start a family. Also, I am throwing 4 (yes four) baby showers this year.

As a host I like to scout the board for ideas and opinions. As a host I also see some pretty crazy behavior from otherwise sane friends. Sometimes the behavior changes my feelings for a friend (i.e. I feel like I'm being held-up, not hosting a fun party). Some of the advice given here could help MTBs avoid those situations.

• Options
    imageKayaXavier:

I missed the part where you explained why you care so much about how others utilize this site. Taking your own, useful advice, perhaps you need a productive hobby. I'd be more than happy to suggest a few.

• Options
    eav2ceav2c member
    imageCranang:

imageLiz4444:

Maybe we should post a linky on December2012...'cause I'm bored at work..

doooooo it. 

• Options

Yet another entertaining post!!!! LOOOOOOOVE it!!

I don't understand why you looking up any of this on your own time, when its not affecting anyone else seems to be such a big deal to some of these girls. Its not like it interupted their day.

......Oh, wait. They HAD to comment on how ridiculous it is you took your time to look into it. I forgot. Someone girls don't have an option. They HAVE to post their opposing opinion on everything and then turn around and say everyone else is causing drama.....

imageimage Visit The Nest! BabyFetus Ticker :.:.Dear baby boy, No one will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you're the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside.:.:
  • Options
    imageashleyann331:

Yet another entertaining post!!!! LOOOOOOOVE it!!

I don't understand why you looking up any of this on your own time, when its not affecting anyone else seems to be such a big deal to some of these girls. Its not like it interupted their day.

......Oh, wait. They HAD to comment on how ridiculous it is you took your time to look into it. I forgot. Someone girls don't have an option. They HAVE to post their opposing opinion on everything and then turn around and say everyone else is causing drama.....

K.

• Options
    imagehibiscus29:
    imagemabenner1:
    imageKayaXavier:

And how does anyone breaking an etiquette rule affect you at all?  I can tell you're a smart one.

Because, genius, this board is about baby showers, and people asking questions and sharig ideas  should care to know if they're being tacky.  Even if they don't, someone needs to point out how the idea might be perceived before some shower noob takes a "cute" idea and ends up offending half the guests or embarrassing the MTB. 

red

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imageSherbet Lemon:
    imagehibiscus29:
    imagemabenner1:
    imageKayaXavier:

And how does anyone breaking an etiquette rule affect you at all?  I can tell you're a smart one.

Because, genius, this board is about baby showers, and people asking questions and sharig ideas  should care to know if they're being tacky.  Even if they don't, someone needs to point out how the idea might be perceived before some shower noob takes a "cute" idea and ends up offending half the guests or embarrassing the MTB. 

Don't you know that us not throwing glitter all over someones tacktastic idea means that we are bitter hags?  Personally, I just like raining on people's parades.

• Options

Other people's parades suck...they deserve the rain.

And let's face it...this is definitely one of the most interesting boards on The Bump.  There's only so much "omg, do you think I'm pregnant?" and "it's a boy!" that one can take.

• Options
    imagehibiscus29:
    imagemabenner1:
    imageKayaXavier:

I'm sure that's a label no one's ever smacked on you though.   

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imagehibiscus29:
    imagemabenner1:
    imageKayaXavier:

It doesn't. No one here goes storming into random people's baby showers and canes them for etiquette infractions. They give honest answers to questions that people willingly ask. I will never for the life of me understand why people ask questions and then get all butt hurt about when they get a response (or 40) saying "oh, honey no." 

Straight up lol at the non-pregs not being allowed.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I don't go into AP, ask about letting a baby CIO and then get butthurt when people tell me that it doesn't follow AP practices. 

Seriously.  

They come on here (a board revolving around one very specific topic) and ask, point blank, "what do you think about x,y,z" or "is it tacky to a,b,c?" and then get all weepy vag if we don't like it and tell them so.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Little Man (4 years old---holy cow)
    He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
  • Options

Oh I'm so glad some people still appreciate and understand sarcasm Big Smile

ETA: This is in reference to MandJS. Thanks for totally getting it lol.

imageimage Visit The Nest! BabyFetus Ticker :.:.Dear baby boy, No one will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you're the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside.:.:
  • Options

Weepy vag.... ewwwwww hahaha

Plus I love your siggy quote. Can't wait to say something like this to my soon to be ex mother in law. 

ETA: This is directed to BallSox. WTF is going on with my computer? I tried to "quote" and it wouldn't let me. 

• Options
    imagehibiscus29:
    imagemabenner1:
    imageKayaXavier:

You're absolutely right. I'm a *** moron. You know, being as I already had my baby, I shouldn't even be here either.  Guess I'll just go pick on someone else, you're no fun.

• Options
    imageBallSox:

I don't go into AP, ask about letting a baby CIO and then get butthurt when people tell me that it doesn't follow AP practices. 

Seriously.  

They come on here (a board revolving around one very specific topic) and ask, point blank, "what do you think about x,y,z" or "is it tacky to a,b,c?" and then get all weepy vag if we don't like it and tell them so.  

Weepy vag, FTW!

• Options
    imagehibiscus29:
    imagemabenner1:
    imageKayaXavier:

I am not pregnant but have had 3 children (so went through the baby showers and "meet the baby" parties as well as 3 wedding showers...plus I have hosted at least 12 wedding/baby showers) so I do have an opinion.  If someone asks for advice I will give it.  It is MY advice/opinion.  It's nice that some of the things I feel are right/proper etiquette are validated by "experts in the field" (Miss Manners, Emily Post, etc).  So glad someone did the research for me...although I do have a couple of etiquette books where I got most of my information.

Obvioulsy someone breaking etiguette rules do not affect me BUT they are asking for people's opinions (I am hoping so they don't make fools of themselves) so I give it.  It maybe, slightly affects me, by keeping a person from making a fool of themself.  I feel bad for anyone that happens to...so in that aspect it does affect me.

• Options
    High five! Now post this to fb and invite all your friends. ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"