Philadelphia Babies

Holy Redeemer Hospital?

Hi,

I am a first-timer and very much against interventions, but am too afraid to go the birth center route.  I am currently with Dr. David Klebanoff at Holy Reedemer Hospital in Huntingdon Valley.  Has anyone given birth there?  What was your experience?

I keep hearing mixed reviews about Abington - a lot of people say they rush you in & out and are big fans of Pitocin and C sections.  I heard good things about Pennsylvania, but am not sure I want to risk dirving on I-76 if I labor during rush hour, or a snowstorm!  (Due in December).

Thanks for your advice!

Re: Holy Redeemer Hospital?

• Hi! This may or may not help, but my girlfriend from work delivered both her sons at Holy Redeemer...as did her sister-in-law, and both had great experiences. My gf had a c-section both times because of diabetes, but her sister-in-law delivered naturally. They both had good things to say about the staff, rooms and the way they & their little ones were cared for.

Hope this helps!!

• Both my kids were born there (one in 09 and one in 10).  I was with Deeney & Associates. With the first kid, none of my doctors were on call, so I was delivered by the head of the department. Great experiences. The second time around wasn't as great. I did not feel like the nurses were available or accessible and we had difficulty when it came time to being discharged.  I know that they have spent a ton of money upgrading the rooms, the triage area and the nursery...some of it was still being done when I had my kid in 10, but i think it is all done now. i am considering switching to an OB with Abington in the future. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I had my daughter at HR last May. I had planned on a natural birth, but ended up going with the epidural. I had a doula and just had to really advocate for myself. For example, they wanted pitocin, but I was progressing fine and compromised that I would let them break my waters instead. The doctor also really wanted to cut me, but I begged and argued and she agreed to let me tear. Overall, I thought it was a good experience. They are pretty breast friendly, so I did appreciate that. The rooms are really nice and I enjoyed the food. The only real problem I had was that shortly after birth they took her away to the nursery for testing and stuff and I didn't get her back for quite a while. I kept asking and was pretty upset, especially since she didn't have any issues.

I was with Deeney and Associates for OB/GYN, and really like them. Know you didn't ask, but I used Meadowbrook Pediatrics (affiliated with HR) and did not like them at all! Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had a dislocated elbow when I was 17 weeks pregnant, and my hubby took me to ER at holy redeemer hospital because its the closest hospital from our house. They didn't even care that i was pregnant and i told them that fell down the stairs. I waited in the waiting area for 2 or 3 hours before they took me in. They didn't even bother to do an ultrasound on me to check if everything was fine with my daughter. They gave me some drugs for the pain, and they checked the babies heart beat rite before i went home. THEY SUCK!!!!!!!!! I know a lot of people that delivered their kids at Holy Redeemer and they hated it. I delivered my daughter at St. Mary's in Langhorne. I love that hospital. It's a little far from our house (30 min drive), but it was worth it.
  • That's horrible, but I had a very different experience. I fell down my stairs, hurt my ankle, and ob recommended I go to the ER at HR. I thought they were overly cautious. I did have a long wait, but after they checked my ankle I was sent up to L&D and had to stay for monitoring for what felt like forever! Maybe it depends on when you go and who's on call. :(
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I delivered both of my sons at HR (one in '10 and one in '11) and will be delivering there again in November.  I was overallly happy with my experiences at HR, but then again I have nothing to compare to.  I was sent to L&D triage for issues with both of my pregnancies where they hooked me up to monitors and was there for a few hours each time.  My delivery experiences were really good, the doctors and nurses seemed to really listen to what I was saying and I felt like I had a good bit of control over the delivery process.  Both times I said I did not want to be cut and they did not.  I told them that I wanted the epidural and they were proactive about getting it quickly for me.  I also told them when I was ready to push and they listened, they didnt force me to push early. (With my second son, they told me I was ready to push, but I wanted to wait a little longer because I didn't feel I was ready yet, and they were fine with my decision to wait until I was ready.)  I am with Women's Care of Montgomery County( Drs. Stack, Dershaw, Borthwick, and Ameri).  I was happy with the experiences I have had so far, and don't have any hesitations about delivering there again.

On another note, HR does have a Level 3 NICU in the event that it is needed.  That is reassuring to know.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I delivered at Abington, but only because I needed a hospital with a trauma center available due to a chronic condition that is potentially affected by pregnancy and delivery. That said, I know many, many women who have had their babies at Holy Redeemer and been very happy with the quality of care. Good luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • di0607di0607 member
    I had both my boys at HRH. I was with Kramer and assoc. Overall the nurses were great and really took care of us. Both boys were 36 weekers and had to have NICU at delivery. They were very cautious ( in a good way ) with later term preemies.if you would like more info (dr specific etc) feel free to send me a pm. My pedi is also affiliated with HRH. We go to Tri-county Peds.
  • I just had my daughter there this past monday and I have to say it was a horrible experience. The nurses were not helpful at all. It was as if you were supposed to read thier minds.  I also had her via c section and the second day the nurse told me that i was ok to get out of bed bc i was not dizzy, well guess what with having no one there (hubby had to work and family was on thier way) i had to basically figure out on my own how to get out of bed which was soo difficult i couldn't even dress myself at this point. If you do have to go this way make sure u stay on top of them to get your pain meds they will not just give them to you. The only nurse who was helpful was the one who helped me the last night i was there, she showed us how to put my belly band on correctly. The day of discharge was even worse i was actually free to go at 11 am and i did not get out of there till 1 pm. and the best was when i walked to find the nurse she could have told me that my husband was supposed to be parked in a certain area of the hospital but waited till i came and found her. Needless to say I snapped at this point and said to her and let all the nurses hear " no, no one told me anything just like all of you have done this entire time, i cant read your mind". They also told us that my baby peed and pooped herself while she was in the nursery, i thought that while the babies are in there they are supposed to do that? i got a huge attitude bc god forbid my baby makes a pee or poop.

I hate to ever have a negative comment but i would not recommend this place to anyone. Go somewhere else, I am putting a complaint into my insurance tomorrow bc i am just disgusted on how i was treated.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"