March 2012 Moms

Scary situation

DH and I went to the grocery store tonight to pick up some food for the week and we took DD with us.  We were in the produce section and I was picking out potatoes when I look down at DD and half of her face is red, she is rubbing her eye and making little coughing noises.  I panicked because I thought she was having a serious allergic reaction to something.  Luckily DH kept his head and took her out of the produce section, and it quickly cleared up and she was fine.

The only thing is we have no idea what caused it or if it even was an allergic reaction.  Neither of us remember touching her since we entered the store, so we are thinking it had to have been something she smelled.  DH thinks she caught a whiff of a crushed onion since the potatoes are near the onions, but neither of us smelled anything.  Now I am kind of worried about her having an allergy that I don't know about :( 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Scary situation

• WipzWipz member
    Our veggie section usually is close to the flowers.. could it be the pollen?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Actually there were some flowers nearby too.  That is definitely a possibility.
  • Loading the player...
  • Aw, I'm glad she's ok! You'll have to talk to your doctor about it - I'm sure they'll have some great advice on how to sort this out. Also, there's a food allergy board on here... so maybe they'd have some advice for you? GL!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

• I seem to remember something about babies having allergies that they grow out of.  My brain is a little mixed up on it, but for example my friend's DD was allergic to everything for the first year and they've been able to reintroduce things (she's 4 now) that she was definitely allergic to at first (like soy).  Maybe your LO has a mild allergy that she'll grow out of by 1.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DD has her 4 month app't on Friday, so we will be bringing it up there.  It's scary to think that she has an allergy to something and I don't know what it is, but hopefully the doctor can help us out.  I am still holding out hope that she was just irritated by the onions, but if it is an allergy I hope she will grow out of it like you said.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"