December 2010 Moms

I almost said no for all the wrong reasons

At 18 months, E is lately challenged with learning how to deal with the new emotion disappointment and we, as parents, with where to draw the line. This past weekend at my parents, E wanted to get out the stroller and go for another walk. We had already had two meltdowns over the course of the day regarding the stroller so I could feel my shoulders slump ever so slightly thinking that this was going to be another battle since she was already bathed and we were ready to get in the car and head for home. "Peese? Peese?" As I grabbed for the stroller, judging myself for "giving in," Erin began to dance a jig of excitement - "Thank you mama! Thank you!" When I heard that, I knew I wasn't giving in, I just made the right choice. The air had cooled, the breezes were blowing sweet BBQ and fresh mown grass smells around the neighborhood, E swung her legs, pointed out bunnies in the yards, and giggled at other babies we passed on the sidewalk. It only took 10 minutes. She was thrilled and my heart was full watching her on this little ride. I almost missed it. I almost said "no" because it would mean that I "gave in" and I would have missed this magical, mini walk that made both our days better. My H sometimes hints that I am spoiling her by hugging her when she is frustrated or disappointed, that I try and talk her through her emotions and offer distractions rather than speak to her sternly when she has a meltdown.  She isn't spoiled damn it!  She is happy and sometimes she knows what is best for both of us and I am so grateful that this time I listened!  Just thought I would share.
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: I almost said no for all the wrong reasons

• lrn327lrn327 member
    I'm glad you got to say "yes" to that sweet moment.  It's definitely not one you'd have wanted to miss.  Smile
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DH says I spoil Sam too much as well...I just tell him to shut his pie hole. lol

I'm glad you had a wonderful time. You will never get these moments back, so you need to treasure them now. =)

Daisypath Anniversary tickers imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • awesome story! I wish my child said please and thank you! But he also doesn't combine words yet (e.g. "thank you mama") so I think he just has a ways to go with learning all of that. sorry, not the point of your post but it just sounds like you have a lovely girl and I'm glad you got to enjoy that walk!

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • so so sweet! :) sometimes "giving in" isn't really giving in but letting them choose - glad you guys had a great walk!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Aw, man.  You made me cry.  So sweet.
    Lilypie - (vGZN)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP2: 10/27/13(edd 7/10/14) "Speck" ~ M/C 12/5/13
  • imagepinkness09:
    so so sweet! :) sometimes "giving in" isn't really giving in but letting them choose - glad you guys had a great walk!

This.  So sweet :) 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Married my best friend 01/01/09

BFP#1 05/06/10. Jarebear born 12/29/10.

BFP#2 06/22/12 (DH's birthday). EDD 02/23/13. M/C and D&C 08/09/12

BFP#3 02/04/13. Alaina Beth born 10/09/13.
  • How sweet!

I don't want to "give in" to Landon, but if he wants to do "active things," we do it. DH has a seat for L on his bike, and Landon LOVES going for bike rides or for walks in his stroller. I think it's great that he has an interest in physical activity and in reading too. I'd rather "inconvenience" myself and give up 10 minutes to take him for a walk after he's reached his quota, instead of saying "nope, no activity for you, watch more TV." YKWIM?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"