Adoption

Monday Waiting-to-Adopt Check-in

This is a place for anyone in the waiting-to-adopt phase to check-in.  Whether you're still checking out different agencies and programs or you're bringing your child home tomorrow, this is for you! If your adoption is already complete, feel free to offer encouragement to those of us who don't have our little ones home yet! 

1) What kind of adoption/fostering are you doing? And what age(s)?

2) Where in the process are you?

3) Any recent accomplishments or milestones to celebrate?

4) Most encouraging moment last week?  

5) Biggest challenge of this week? 

6) Anything else you want to share?

And the QOTW (question of the week):  What is your favorite adoption related book (for adults)?  

TTC September 2010 thru October 2011
SA February 2011: Normal
RE App. October 2011 - Recc. Clomid and IUI

Taking a break from TTC to pursue adoption

Met our 2 year old son in Russia July 2012!
Court trip October 2012
Home November 24 2012!

Back to RE Summer 2013. TTC journey continues: 

Dx DOR, endometriosis, low sperm count 
Clomid + IUI#1, #2 = BFN / IUI #3 = ???

Laparoscopy scheduled December 2013

Adding a Burden

Re: Monday Waiting-to-Adopt Check-in

• IRRIRR member
    imagejillianmb:

Love that you post this on Mondays!

1) What kind of adoption/fostering are you doing? And what age(s)? 

Newborn 

Homestudy completed in February, started advertising in April 

See my post "Cautiously Optimistic" 

Receiving sonogram photos

Waiting for the adoption plan which should be sent either today or tomorrow 

Never had a lawyer tell me that I was "reading too much" and should just trust what she says.  Can't imagine her reaction if she knew I was participating on this board. 

And the QOTW (question of the week):  What is your favorite adoption related book (for adults)?  

In the middle of "In on it"  Not loving it yet.  Lots of great information in the "Ultimate Insider's Guide to Adoption" by Elizabeth Swire Falker

Failed Matches - December 2012, May 2013, December 2013
    Moved on to  gestational surrogacy with a family friend who is our angel and due 7/23/15

• 1) What kind of adoption/fostering are you doing? And what age(s)? domestic, newborn

2) Where in the process are you? On match list and profile approved last week!

3) Any recent accomplishments or milestones to celebrate? See #3

4) Most encouraging moment last week?  See #3. 

6) Anything else you want to share?  We did get a call last Tuesday to be shown to a BM but it was just a weird situation so we ended up saying no.  There was a little freak out as well for getting a call the day after we get on the list.  I am betting the next call won't happen so quickly.

And the QOTW (question of the week):  What is your favorite adoption related book (for adults)?  Don't really know but I am going to read everyone's responses to see what they have been reading.
    Me- 37, DH- 32. TTC- June 2010- Adoption journey started April 2012 image
  • Loading the player...
  • 1) What kind of adoption/fostering are you doing? And what age(s)? 

domestic infant 

waiting for the call (like last week) 

continued to work on the nursery 

Volunteered at our agency and therefore got to look behind the scenes.  

Has to do with #4 - found out that again a couple that hadn't been waiting long yet got a hospital call. I was happy for them but at the same time I really struggled and felt hurt! 

If you work with a non-profit agency and have time to volunteer, please do. I couldn't believe the warm welcome I got and how excited everyone was that I actually took the time to help. I'll go at least once a week during the rest of my summer break. Being a teacher I know how precious volunteers are! 

I have 2 favorites. "Secret thoughts of an adoptive mother" and "Dear Birthmother Thank you for our Baby". 

Domestic infant (trans-racial)

Waiting on agency to begin documentation/home study.

Nope. Boo.

Our silent auction fundraiser just hit $1,000, which was our goal, and there are still 5 days left! :)

Nothing on the horizon...

Not at the moment :)

Not sure yet. I read half of "20 Things Adopted Kids Wish Their Adoptive Parents Knew," but it was such a downer that I had to put it away. I have "The Adoption Decision," but haven't started it yet.

Our Adoption Blog & Fundraising Efforts

Heading to China in November 2014 to bring our son home!

International - under 24 months 

Waiting! 

Our dossier has been sent off :) 

See above. 

Just waiting now. 

We've starting decorating the play room and we're so excited about the theme we've chosen. 

The Complete Book of International Adoption by Dawn Davenport.  There's another on attachment/bonding that I can't remember the name of. 

Little Slick
    Born 6.26.10
    Forever a Family 11.26.12

International, Russia, 2 y.o boy.

Dossier registered, waiting to hear our first travel date! 

Last week our dossier was registered!  Very exciting. Now we're planning our trip which should be in about a month.  So excited!!

My parents came to visit and they brought this necklace with them, a little white gold shoe.  They bought it 15 years ago on a trip to Mexico with the intention of giving it to the mother of their first grandchild.  They gave it to me on Friday.

Not too challenging, bust just waiting to get our travel date.

ellekae I am so excited that you reached your auction goal!!  That's awesome!

The book "Choosing to See" by Marybeth Chapman was a great read.  Practically speaking, I've really like "toddler adoption."  Deals with lots of attachment issues etc... very helpful.

TTC September 2010 thru October 2011
    SA February 2011: Normal
    RE App. October 2011 - Recc. Clomid and IUI

Taking a break from TTC to pursue adoption

Met our 2 year old son in Russia July 2012!
    Court trip October 2012
    Home November 24 2012!

Back to RE Summer 2013. TTC journey continues: 

Dx DOR, endometriosis, low sperm count 
    Clomid + IUI#1, #2 = BFN / IUI #3 = ???

Laparoscopy scheduled December 2013

Adding a Burden
  • 1) What kind of adoption/fostering are you doing? And what age(s)? Newborn Infant Domestic

2) Where in the process are you? We met with our agency for the first time 2 weeks ago & we're in the application process. VERY lengthy. We're also getting our shih tzu puppy set up with in-home training to deal with strangers so we don't have a "scene" with our upcoming home studies!

3) Any recent accomplishments or milestones to celebrate? The fact that we have officially decided on our agency is kinda huge.

4) Most encouraging moment last week? More and more people are finding out about our adoption plans and everyone has been super encouraging and supportive. It's nice when months later after your announcement, people still inquire how we're doing with this whole thing; even when there's not much progress at this point.

5) Biggest challenge of this week?  Getting that 10-page "About me" paper written for our application.

6) Anything else you want to share? I'm terrified I'm going to sound totally stupid or say the wrong thing in my paper we have to write for our application. It's making a giant procrastinator.

And the QOTW (question of the week):  What is your favorite adoption related book (for adults)?  I have really enjoyed "Successful Adoption: A Guide for Christian Families" by Natalie Nichols Gillespie
    :::FOLLOW MY HALF MARATHON TRAINING:::

:::Our Adoption Journey:::

Evan James was born 1/24/13 and matched with us 2/20/13. The LOVE OF MY LIFE!!!
  • 1) What kind of adoption/fostering are you doing? And what age(s)? : domestic infant adoption

2) Where in the process are you?: we're busy saving!

3) Any recent accomplishments or milestones to celebrate?: DH started reading his first adoption-related book this week.

4) Most encouraging moment last week?  : can't think of anything

5) Biggest challenge of this week?  : I've got baby rabies right now, so I'm spending way too much time reading up on/checking out baby gear, etc.

6) Anything else you want to share?: we took some "waiting to adopt" photos yesterday, can't wait to share with y'all!

And the QOTW (question of the week):  What is your favorite adoption related book (for adults)?  : My favorite so far was The Baby Boat.  It's a memoir of a woman who adopted from Lithuania.  I read it in like 3 hours!
  • 1) What kind of adoption/fostering are you doing? And what age(s)? Domestic Infant Adoption 2) Where in the process are you?Still...doing...paperwork... 3) Any recent accomplishments or milestones to celebrate?Our FBI stuff came in the mail today!!! I *think we should be done as soon as our state clearances come in...hopefully. 4) Most encouraging moment last week?  I taught my little boy to pick figs, and how to tell when they are ripe, on the same tree that my grandmother taught me. It felt really special, and put a lot of things in perspective for me. 5) Biggest challenge of this week?  Trusting that everything will work out the way that it is supposed to.  6) Anything else you want to share?Not this week. 

Im not sure that I have found my favorite yet, but I really want to read a lot of the ones you all posted! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

domestic infant

waiting for a match

Not really.

Went to look at cribs with DH

Waiting. Waiting. Waiting.

Nope.

I haven't read too many. I would probably say "Adoption for Dummies". It's actually a pretty good book!

foster/adopt, open to 0-12 y/o
    adoption ready sibling group will be moving from their foster home of 2.5 years to ours this weekend
    We told the kids on June 16 that we want to be their "forever family"
    none more than what I said last week, I took three lil' mini-vacations and was out of town
    continuing to clean out one of their bedrooms, buy new set of mattresses, decorate and shop some, tie up loose ends on top of just returning from out of town for 7+ days, a yard sale, relay for life, etc.
    I'm excited but also nervous about all the changes that are about to take place
    And the QOTW (question of the week): What is your favorite adoption related book (for adults)?
    Three Little Words
    Parenting/Adopting the Hurt Child

We are fostering. If a child becomes available in our home for adoption we will adopt them.  We foster siblings, infant to school aged.

We have been licensed since Fall of 2009.  We have fostered 8 children over the past few years.

I ran my first 5k this month.
    I accomplished my credential as a Registered Play Therapist-Supervisor this month too. Which is a pretty big deal :)

Running my 5k, with friends cheering me on.

Waiting for our next placement. We have been empty for awhile and it's just strange.

I peak in here, every once in awhile.  I try not to stay on ALOT...because it just leads to the obsessive thoughts of when will I meet my forever children?

And the QOTW (question of the week):  What is your favorite adoption related book (for adults)?   Good question. 20 questions adopted children wish their adoptive parents knew.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"