Baby Showers
Options

what else can we do at a shower?

1. Decorate a onesie

2. Write a note to the mom to be

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: what else can we do at a shower?

• Options
    Mingle and relax without feeling obligated to decorate things or give sappy and sentimental advice on the spot. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Little Man (4 years old---holy cow)
    He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
  • Options

I had 3 showers and no games or "activities" at any of them, although I did get motherly advice at one.  We just ate, mingled, opened gifts, etc.  Perfect and low key!

decorated onesies are kinda lame-o in my opinion, very few people are very good with the markers/paint :)   

Gretchen Evie, born 7/8/2012 at 35w5d
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

This is why showers are boring, because people expect everyone to just sit and relax and mingle. That gets boring after 3 - 4 hours. No one really wants to watch people open gifts for hours. A good party always has a focal point which is what I was asking for ideas on.  Jeesh! Snarky people on here.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    thanks! Im sure your showers were great
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    3-4 hours?  yeah that would get boring, none of mine were over 2 hours.  Eat, mingle, gifts, cake, done.  Smaller showers where everyone knows each other tend to flow quite well and don't get awkward.  
    Gretchen Evie, born 7/8/2012 at 35w5d
  • Options
    I was just at one where the hostess had a bunch of different beads- everyone strung a bead on a necklace while saying a wish for the mom. Made a very unique necklace and something for her to take to the hospital with her and remember the shower. I thought it was cute!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagepugznploons:

decorated onesies are kinda lame-o in my opinion, very few people are very good with the markers/paint :)   

I've heard several people on here who did this, didn't end up using any of the onesies...so it was a waste of money in the end. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageChristyML:
    imagepugznploons:

I've heard several people on here who did this, didn't end up using any of the onesies...so it was a waste of money in the end. 

It was done at my shower, but only by the kids while presents were being opened. I ended up with about 6 decorated onesies. Because LO was born at the beginning of summer, I've used them as 1) pajamas and 2) a back up outfit when she seems to be spitting up a lot. Not a complete waste, but I have a hard enough time using 6 of them... 20 would be overkill. 

OP check out the post below about people's opinions on shower games. Some people enjoy them, some people find them cheesy and contrived. Just because people suggest you avoid over-planning activities doesnt mean thry're being particularly snarky. They're giving you a genuine perspective of what many people find enjoyable at showers. 

Fwiw: I'd suggest asking for a letter of advice before the shower and setting up a nice spot to collect it. That way people have time to get their thoughts together and aren't put on the spot of they don't have any advice. 

red

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imageirishsmiles428:

This is why showers are boring, because people expect everyone to just sit and relax and mingle. That gets boring after 3 - 4 hours. No one really wants to watch people open gifts for hours. A good party always has a focal point which is what I was asking for ideas on.  Jeesh! Snarky people on here.

I agree with BallSox.

As someone who's been to multiple, large showers, perhaps the event's boring because those in charge didn't manage their time well. I've never attended one that was longer than three hours. Desserts usually served during the gift-opening while guests chat quietly so no one's staring blankly at the gifts for hours on end. Also, showers already have focal points: the mothers to be. People know what to expect when they attend them so it's not like you have to surprise them with an art project or board game.

For the record, no one gave you a snarky reply. People just answered your question honestly. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageirishsmiles428:

I agree.  I don't like showers that don't have something to "do" and I don't mean just chit chatting with people I don't know (as a guest). 

You could certainly have another game that doesn't take long.  Decorating onesies is really a time consumer though (and expensive) so you won't need much more.  By the time you do that, eat, and open gift the 3 hours will be over.  Make sure the gift opening runs smoothly (someone to hand MTB gifts, someone writing down who gave what, and someone to remove the gift/wrapping paper.  Also, don't linger over opening each gift - just open it, look at it, say thank you to the gift giver and move on (1 minute tops for each gift).  One minue is really quite a long time.  Also make sure MTB makes her rounds and speaks to everyone...even if it is only for a few seconds.

(sorry - couldn't remember from your OP if you were the MTB)

• Options

No one was snarky with you. 

Onesies never get used.  They're usually cheap and ugly...

3-4 HOURS?  That's a ridiculous length of time for a shower.  People get bored at showers because they're made to stay 3-4 hours.  If the gift opening part hadn't begun by hour 3, I'd make an excuse and bolt.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageCranang:

No one was snarky with you. 

Onesies never get used.  They're usually cheap and ugly...

3-4 HOURS?  That's a ridiculous length of time for a shower.  People get bored at showers because they're made to stay 3-4 hours.  If the gift opening part hadn't begun by hour 3, I'd make an excuse and bolt.

BINGO.  I didn't see one snarky response, OP.  Plus, the only reason a shower would last 3-4 hours is because there are TOO MANY things going on.  Mingle, eat, presents.  Boom.  Shower shouldn't be more than an hour and a half.   

imageimage
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagecwm11985:
     Plus, the only reason a shower would last 3-4 hours is because there are TOO MANY things going on.  Mingle, eat, presents.  Boom.  Shower shouldn't be more than an hour and a half.   
    Or too many people were invited!

I think 1.5 hours is a bit short, but aiming for 2 hours is perfect.  Show up, eat, the gift opening starts 30 mins in, should be done in 30 mins, MAYBE 45 (but hopefully not) and then more mingling.  Cake is done in there somewhere, and then.... ta da!  2 hours- you're done.

I went to a wedding shower years ago that I can't even remember how many games they did.  We had been there probably 2 hours, eaten, and were on game FIVE.  I left.  I had no idea how many more games there were and I knew there was still a gift opening and dessert to be had- I didn't alot 3+ hours for this shower.  So - I left. 

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options
    imageirishsmiles428:

No, showers are boring because the mom to be thinks either a) Everyone really is dying to spend an entire day at her shower or b) she should hit up every person she knows for a present and it takes FOREVER to open presents.  Three hours is the absolute longest I would expect a shower to take, and that's THE longest.  

You could always have a slideshow of pictures going, music playing, some baby/pregnancy themed movies playing in another room (if it's at a house)..stuff that guests don't HAVE to participate in if they don't want to, but if they really don't know anyone there, they can use to distract themselves.  

Hypothetical schedule of events (overestimated in areas to allow for flexibility): 

2p-2:30p Guests arrive

2:30-3:00p Hostess welcomes everyone, m2b thanks everyone or introductions (i've been at showers where everyone introduces themselves)

3-3:45p Lunch/Food/Mingling

3:45-4:30 Gift Opening/Dessert Served

4:30-5 Wrap-up and thank yous

5p Party Over

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Little Man (4 years old---holy cow)
    He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
  • Options
    One game I've played before is you take the parents-to-be's names and come up with a baby name for each letter for their first name.  So like you'd have Mike and have to do a boy name for each letter and the same for the mom-to-be's name.  It was A TON of fun, but that's probably because my grandmother comes up with the most ridiculous names ever.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    Instead of the onesies, I had guest decorate a fabric square and sewed it together to make a quilt. The mommy loved it and it was a nice take away. 
  • Options

At a friends shower we decorated bibs and she uses them all. Personally I would have probably thrown away the sad looking ones but there quite a few funny sweet ones in there.  It was definitely nice to have something else to do than make chit chat for the entire time.

BabyFruit Ticker It's a Girl!
  • Options

I went to a friends baby shower where we decorated bibs instead of onesies -- you may get more use out of decorated bibs that onesies but I'm a FTM so I can't say for sure.  Although I've gotten a ton of cloths so I know I would never use decorated onesies if that had been done at my showers.

At my SIL's shower the hosts bought a package of newborn diapers and had all the guests write funny sayings/advice on them for the parents to see while they were doing all those middle-of-the-night diaper changes.  Again, something that was unique and that I haven't seen again.  And that way the MTB gets diapers! 

The third thing that was done at my baby shower was that the host had a headband making station.  We didn't play any games but this was a VERY cute activity and I got a LOT of adorable headbands for my little girl!  I'm not sure if you're having a girl or not but thought this was a very cute idea. 

I really think that you only need a max of 2 games at a shower if games are done at all.  You do want to leave some time to mingle (the MTB will need time to say hi and chit chat with every guest) and opening presents takes longer than you think! 

• Options

We've done a onesie table, no one was obligated to decorate them, and if you plan on using "good" techniques or items for decorating, they won't be cheesy.  We used a lot of them.

I've also seen everyone decorate a square and it made into a quilt.  Or decorating a scrapbook page.

You could play games, you could just have yummy food and drinks which keeps people happy.

My ideal shower setting is just relaxing with friends and family with the option to take part in activities, or just spending time with the MTB.

*~*Mommy to*~*
    BFP#1 Kaitlyn 11-17-04
    BFP #2 Matthew pPROM 23w5d 06-03-07, b/33 weeks 8-6-07, d/10-15-07 SIDS,
    BFP #3 m/c 8 weeks 2/20/09, BFP #4 m/c no hb 6w4d, m/c 9w4d, D&C 11w2d, BFP #5 C/P 12/18/09 after BFP- 9dpo
    BFP #6 Samantha- 11-9-10
    BFP #7 4/20/12 21 DPO beta: 2382 29 DPO beta: 23000! HB 6w2d 116 bpm due Christmas day!
    This Momma's Journey
    ~Today I am pregnant and I love my baby~ BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    srgwsrgw member

I've attended/helped plan many baby showers as I'm the youngest female cousin on both sides of my family.

My favorite game so far was freeze tiny plastic babies in ice cubes before the shower. During the shower each attendee gets a baby frozen in an ice cube. The first "water to break" (ice to melt) wins. My sister found it on Pinterest.

Also Bingo. You make a blank bingo sheet for everyone and the guests fill in the spaces with what they think the MTB will open. You can put the same item three times but you can't cross it off more than once unless it was opened in separate presents.

• Options
    At my baby shower we had a "Wish Jar". We printed off slips that had several different starter phrases such as "I hope you are never afraid to.." "I hope you grow to be.." "I hope you laugh at.." and so on. Then the guests were able to fill in the rest, sign it and place it in the jar. Its so much fun to read them and some day Im sure my daughter will love to see what all of our family wrote. Plus its very easy to personalize and put whatever you like on the wishes!! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"