Adoption
Options

Independent International Adoption

Just curious if anyone on here is in the process of or already completed an independent international adoption... specifically in Uganda, but really anywhere.  Any advice you may have?  Not for me... asking for a friend. ;)
BFP 6-29-10; EDD 3-10-10; Missed MC @ 10wks on 8-12-10; D&C 8-13-10
BFP 11-24-10; EDD 8-5-10; CP @ 4wks on 11-27-10
BFP 12-22-10; EDD 9-2-11 Baby girl born Aug. 15, 2011 via emergency c-section
BFP 9-5-12; EDD 5-20-13; Missed MC @ 8 wks on 10-9-12; D&C 10-10-12
BFP 1-7-13; EDD 9-20-13; PRAYING WE GET TO BRING THIS BABY HOME! BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Independent International Adoption

• Options

My BIL and SIL are (hopefully) nearing the end of an independent international adoption.  It's certainly cheaper than going through an agency.  However, they're experiencing some hold-ups getting matched because the individual who's coordinating the adoption for them in Guinea Bissau is traveling and no one else is authorized to match children.  

My other BIL and SIL are early in the international adoption process, but going through an agency.  That's what DH and I plan to do in the next couple of years.  I don't like adding hold-ups to an already drawn-out and complex international legal process. 

Married to my best friend 6/5/10
    BFP #1 9/7/10, EDD 5/14/11, Violet born 5/27/11.
    BFP #2 4/9/12, EDD 12/16/12, M/C Rory 4/24/12.
    BFP #3 10/6/12, EDD 6/16/12., Matilda born 6/17/13.
  • Options

Independent as in no agency to assist?

I don't know much about it, but my gut reaction was that could be a nightmare w/ Uganda, especially since they aren't part of the Hague Convention.More info here: https://adoption.state.gov/country_information/country_specific_info.php?country-select=uganda

https://groups.yahoo.com/group/IndyIntAdopt/ There's a Yahoo group here that might be helpful, too. Good luck to your friend.

Six years of infertility and loss, four IUIs, one IVF and one very awesome little boy born via med-free birth 10.24.13.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageDebateThis:

I don't know much about it, but my gut reaction was that could be a nightmare w/ Uganda, especially since they aren't part of the Hague Convention.More info here: https://adoption.state.gov/country_information/country_specific_info.php?country-select=uganda

https://groups.yahoo.com/group/IndyIntAdopt/ There's a Yahoo group here that might be helpful, too. Good luck to your friend.

Doesn't Uganda also have a 3 year residency time in Uganda before the adoption is complete?  I thought I read that about Uganda somewhere.  At any rate, I thought that we might be able to do a private/direct placement Ugandan adoption at some point because my brother and his family actually live there, but then I read the 3 year thing and decided that Uganda would probably never happen.

I personally wouldn't do an independant international adoption because agencies are there to help with the government stuff, but direct placement, I would definately do.

Daughter #1 - February 12, 2010 

natural m/c March 11, 2011 at 8 1/2 weeks 

Daughter #2 - January 11, 2012 

Ectopic pregnancy discovered November 6, 2012 at 6 weeks

Daughter #3 - January 19, 2014

Started our exploration into the world of international adoption June 2012.  We have no idea what this is going to look like but we are excited to find out!

image              image

• Options
    imagedhviel:
    imageDebateThis:

Doesn't Uganda also have a 3 year residency time in Uganda before the adoption is complete?  I thought I read that about Uganda somewhere.  At any rate, I thought that we might be able to do a private/direct placement Ugandan adoption at some point because my brother and his family actually live there, but then I read the 3 year thing and decided that Uganda would probably never happen.

I personally wouldn't do an independant international adoption because agencies are there to help with the government stuff, but direct placement, I would definately do.

Yep, you're right per that link from the State Dept website. Three years in-country.

Six years of infertility and loss, four IUIs, one IVF and one very awesome little boy born via med-free birth 10.24.13.
  • Options
    Uganda has been waiving the three year residency requirement. 

I follow a blogger that did an independent adoption from Uganda.  https://www.thefarmerswifetellsall.com/p/adoption-faqs.html

I do believe it comes with lots of risks but if you are passionate about orphan care.... it may make sense to you.  I don't see this as a "way to adopt" but rather a way to help an orphan.  Nuance... sure but I do see a difference.

As for non-Hague countries, my view recently shifted after hearing someonf from the Congressional Coalition on Adoption Institute address Hague countries vs non Hague countries.   Hague countries have checks and balances built into the process which are great... but in impoverished and war-torn African countries, they don't have the governmental infrastructure to meet the Hague requirements.  And without some sort of reform, these countries probably won't ever be able to do what they need to to become Hague.  So what to do??  Especially when there are so many orphans in Africa...  

If I were considering an independent adoption from Uganda, I'd read and speak to everyone I knew that had done one so I understood all the risks and the what-ifs.  I do think it's risky... but I don't think it's wrong or not worth pursuing if you are passionate about Uganda and it's orphans.  (BTW-  I am passionate about both :) Our associate pastor is from Uganda and we've become involved in an orphanage.)

image Best friends and sisters... 24 months and 16 months
  • Options
    imagesilliestbunny:
    Uganda has been waiving the three year residency requirement. 

I follow a blogger that did an independent adoption from Uganda.  https://www.thefarmerswifetellsall.com/p/adoption-faqs.html

I do believe it comes with lots of risks but if you are passionate about orphan care.... it may make sense to you.  I don't see this as a "way to adopt" but rather a way to help an orphan.  Nuance... sure but I do see a difference.

As for non-Hague countries, my view recently shifted after hearing someonf from the Congressional Coalition on Adoption Institute address Hague countries vs non Hague countries.   Hague countries have checks and balances built into the process which are great... but in impoverished and war-torn African countries, they don't have the governmental infrastructure to meet the Hague requirements.  And without some sort of reform, these countries probably won't ever be able to do what they need to to become Hague.  So what to do??  Especially when there are so many orphans in Africa...  

If I were considering an independent adoption from Uganda, I'd read and speak to everyone I knew that had done one so I understood all the risks and the what-ifs.  I do think it's risky... but I don't think it's wrong or not worth pursuing if you are passionate about Uganda and it's orphans.  (BTW-  I am passionate about both :) Our associate pastor is from Uganda and we've become involved in an orphanage.)

I agree about the Hague/non-hague issues you brought up.  It's not so much of a huge deal to me, it just makes things a little bit harder in certain countries to finalize everything.

I'm glad to hear that Uganda has started to waive the residency requirement.  I was actually pretty disappointed when I read it was 3 years!  I could probably handle a couple of months somewhere, but 3 years is a much larger committment and because my brother lives there (he is a missionary pilot) I have become pretty passionate about Uganda as well. 

Daughter #1 - February 12, 2010 

natural m/c March 11, 2011 at 8 1/2 weeks 

Daughter #2 - January 11, 2012 

Ectopic pregnancy discovered November 6, 2012 at 6 weeks

Daughter #3 - January 19, 2014

Started our exploration into the world of international adoption June 2012.  We have no idea what this is going to look like but we are excited to find out!

image              image

• Options

We did an independent adoption from EE. Our process was smooth and easy, and we would do it again. But--We had a family who had been through the process willing to walk it with us every step of the way. And we had direct contact with government officials. 

That said, I would absolutely not do an independent adoption from Uganda just based on the few recent experiences I've read about via blogs, etc. I think the process there is a lot more complicated than our process. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"