Georgia Babies

HELP! Boobs and baby not on same schedule....

OK so I BFed Colin for like 5 minutes and gave up. He had a bad latch I was bleeding and in agony so I stopped. This time the LC at the hospital helped me tremendously and BFing is going great. He gets formula at night b/c it holds him for 5 hrs and I like to sleep. I BF every other feeding except for the midnight one where DH gives formula but I pump it out and store it. He is also a very lazy eater. I undress him and he will only do one side at a time. That being said I am producing 3-4 oz each side so he really only needs one. The issue is that during the day and at night when I need to feed him he is sleeping and my poor boobs need relief. I end up pumping more than BFing b/c baby and boobs are not on the same wavelength. What do I do? I am spending 1/2 my life pumping. Will this change in another week or so when he perks up out of the NB fog?
Colin Patrick-7/14/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers imageimageLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: HELP! Boobs and baby not on same schedule....

• I'm no expert by any means, but I do think it will get better.  How long does he go between feedings?  Are your really so full that you can't wait for time to feed him?  If so, can you try pumping just a little so that you get some relief but not emptying the breast so that he can then feed when he is awake?  Your body will eventually get on the same schedule as him if you keep trying to breastfeed when he is hungry.  Good luck and hang in there... it does get easier!
    Mommy to Abigail Elizabeth (11/4/11) and Brady Jasper (7/2/09)
    my blog
  • I just wanted to clarify -- are you pumping and then giving him a bottle or both pumping and feeding him at the breast?

Either way, I would say try to jump pump a little just to the point of relief and your body will catch up.   And I know it's hard, but if you could get up with him in the night for a few weeks for that midnight feeding that might help, too.   I had those issues early on too - I remember waking up in the night in pain and having to pump to get relief so I could sleep a bit.  It will even out. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • It takes a few weeks for your boobs to regulate.  Pumping 3-4oz each boob is great!  I could never get that much.  I had low supply issues (no matter what I did...and trust me I tried it all) and I never found the source of the problem but that is a whole other story.  Pump everything you can so you can build your stash up.  Do you have a hands free set up?  If you don't you can make your own very easy.  Just google it.

If in doubt call the breastfeeding hotline for free advice at the hospital.  Each hospital has one.  I made use of several of them.

If sleep is the issue, they make these things:  https://www.pumpinpal.com/ and they might help but I've never tried them myself.  Some of the people on the BF board do use them though. Good Luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I agree with pumping just enough to take the edge off, unless you want to build up a stash quickly. i love kellymom for the minutia details of breastfeeding - it helped a lot the last time around!

https://kellymom.com/

imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • care99care99 member
    Just keep in mind that when you pump, your body thinks the baby needs that much, so it's harder to get on an even plane.  I always waited a couple of weeks to start pumping, so that I had some time to even things out.  Pump or hand express just a little and then start on that side next time.  Cold cabbage leaves will help with engorgement....just stick them in your bra til they wilt. It will take a few days of feeling uncomfortable, but eventually will settle down. 
  • Thanks ladies, I wasn't sure if I should just take the pain for an hour or so before pumping so that my body would eventually regulate?  I have been feeding him on the one side and then pumping the other. I already have a few bags in the freezer. He has just been sleeping when the engorgement hits, or I am sleeping b/c he is awesome at night and goes longer stretches. I am feeding him myself every chance I get to cut down on the engorgement. He is also very lazy on the breast and will eat a small amount but then fall asleep, then perk up for more stretching the feed time out. I play with his feet and try to annoy him enough to eat, it just seems like he takes FOREVER b/c he is 'snacking'. I am guessing I just have to wait it out from what was said above but I am going to try pumping a little off the get the relief. Am I doing this right(ish)?? Thanks for all of the advice. 
    Colin Patrick-7/14/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers imageimageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageshacadu:

I just wanted to clarify -- are you pumping and then giving him a bottle or both pumping and feeding him at the breast?

Either way, I would say try to jump pump a little just to the point of relief and your body will catch up.   And I know it's hard, but if you could get up with him in the night for a few weeks for that midnight feeding that might help, too.   I had those issues early on too - I remember waking up in the night in pain and having to pump to get relief so I could sleep a bit.  It will even out. 

I am feeding one side b/c I get 3-4ox on one side and that is all he needs. Then I am forced to pump the other side so that I am not lopsided.  

• If you don't want to keep producing milk like that, stop pumping.. Pumping will launch you into over production. Believe me, I know. Whoops. I know it can be uncomfortable, so I would suggest hand expressing enough to make yourself comfortable. You can use a tupperware container or something large enough to make it easier on you to catch the milk (it takes a little bit to get used to, but if you are that full... it's not too hard).... and of course you can transfer it to whatever container you might use to store your milk.

P.S. Congrats on your new addition! 

• care99care99 member
    As far as being a lazy eater, turn the lights on, take off all his clothes, and have a wet washcloth nearby to wipe off his face.  Sounds a bit mean, but it will help keep him awake to finish the feedings.  Otherwise, you're nursing all.day.long.  Good luck - he'll get better at it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"