TTC after 35

For those of you who have done IUI

I have my RE appointment scheduled.  I did meet with my ob/gyn today to go through the results of all our tests and he suggested us to do IUI due to low volume and progression of my H's sperms.  And, when I inquire about sperms wash, he said that he won't wash the sperms.  I thought the sperms has to be washed before IUI?  Any thought?

Re: For those of you who have done IUI

• I have been told and read that the sperm do have to be washed due to the fact that they are going directly into the Ute.....as to not cause an infection. My ob/gyn always does the wash.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Hmmm, we've always had the sperm washed, but maybe you RE is doing so to avoid the reduction in sperm that happens during the washing? I'm not familiar with that process but maybe they do, do this sometimes?

nate and teddy
    Me 41 DH 46  Not actively ttc, surprise BFP on 1/6/11! 4/1/11 m/c our sunshine at 16wks after complications from CVS test. TTC #2 **5th cycle 12/6/11 BFP! Missed m/c at 9 weeks 1/21/12, trisomy 14. Two Chemical PG 3/12&7/12
    ** BFP 8/16/12 beta #1 148! beta#2 407 beta #3 4000 u/s 9.10 1 lovely hb 126, Baby Boy is due 04/28/13!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Not sure, I am a bit uncomfortable.  And, I may have mentioned he believes I need a D&C which I don't understand. I guess I just need to bite the bullet and meet with a RE.  I just wish I have a little bit insurance coverage.  Sad

• I do remember you posting about that. That would concern me, years ago I was having spotting after I worked out, and my OB said I had a polyp that needed to be removed and suggested a d&c. I wasn't comfortable with such an invasive procedure, and decided to go to another OB for a 2nd opinion. They agreed a d&c poses way more risks than necessary unless you absolutely need it. Fast forward several years and I no longer have a polyp, it was either misdiagnosed or went away on its own. There are some Drs. that believe a d&c makes you more fertile, so maybe that's his thought behind it but it's not something to be taken lightly.

I think your right, if your dealing with any kind of male factor type stuff an RE is going to be your best bet.

nate and teddy
    Me 41 DH 46  Not actively ttc, surprise BFP on 1/6/11! 4/1/11 m/c our sunshine at 16wks after complications from CVS test. TTC #2 **5th cycle 12/6/11 BFP! Missed m/c at 9 weeks 1/21/12, trisomy 14. Two Chemical PG 3/12&7/12
    ** BFP 8/16/12 beta #1 148! beta#2 407 beta #3 4000 u/s 9.10 1 lovely hb 126, Baby Boy is due 04/28/13!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I think you need to go to an RE.  You need to have sperm washed to bring the best and brightest to the top.  Also, it reduces the risk of infection.  The D&C comment concerns me. 

It's tough having bad / no insurance.  My insurance has a lifetime IF max of $3500.  Already gone.  It sucks.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • It seems odd that he would say that they don't wash.  I would see what the RE says before making any kind of decision.  If your insurance doesn't cover IF then they would not cover the IUI at either place, right?  If that is the case, I would go with the person who gets paid to make women pregnant.
    BFP on IVF #2 6/29/2012. Beta #1 7/3 = 522; Beta #2 = 1180; Beta #3 = 6491 image BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageCountry Girl in the City:
    It seems odd that he would say that they don't wash.  I would see what the RE says before making any kind of decision.  If your insurance doesn't cover IF then they would not cover the IUI at either place, right?  If that is the case, I would go with the person who gets paid to make women pregnant.

My thought exactly.  I probably need to pay a bit more for the initial consultation and other stuff. I'd much rather do it right then wasting $.  Thank you for the comments, ladies. 

• imagejchow009:

imageCountry Girl in the City:
    It seems odd that he would say that they don't wash.  I would see what the RE says before making any kind of decision.  If your insurance doesn't cover IF then they would not cover the IUI at either place, right?  If that is the case, I would go with the person who gets paid to make women pregnant.

My thought exactly.  I probably need to pay a bit more for the initial consultation and other stuff. I'd much rather do it right then wasting $.  Thank you for the comments, ladies. 

I think you are making the right choice. The sperm was always washed before my IUIs. And I don't understand the reasoning for a D&C in your case. 

Me: 38, PCOS/ DH: 37

DD born 12.21.09, conceived w/ injects and IUI

TTC#2 since Nov 2011

BFP 2.6.12 m/c 6w5d | BFP 5.25.12 c/p

-Back to the RE-

3 medicated IUIs, all BFN

-Taking a break from treatment-

BFP 11.20.12 ~ EDD 7.28.13

image image

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

My Chart
  • imagejchow009:

Not sure, I am a bit uncomfortable.  And, I may have mentioned he believes I need a D&C which I don't understand. I guess I just need to bite the bullet and meet with a RE.  I just wish I have a little bit insurance coverage.  Sad

I also find the suggestion of a D&C odd. Doesn't a D&C carry a scarring risk? Did your doctor mean a hysteroscopy. That is what was done on me for polyps.

RE: sperm washing. I have no idea. I thought it was obligatory to prevent infection.  

• imageannalisel:
    imagejchow009:

Not sure, I am a bit uncomfortable.  And, I may have mentioned he believes I need a D&C which I don't understand. I guess I just need to bite the bullet and meet with a RE.  I just wish I have a little bit insurance coverage.  Sad

I also find the suggestion of a D&C odd. Doesn't a D&C carry a scarring risk? Did your doctor mean a hysteroscopy. That is what was done on me for polyps.

RE: sperm washing. I have no idea. I thought it was obligatory to prevent infection.  

Not hysteroscopy becuase I have done that already.  That is what I read, that's why I am not comfortable at all with his plan.  RE it is! 

• I've done 4 IUI's and each time the sperm were washed.  It is my understanding that they need to be washed to eliminate prostaglandins, the presence of which could make the recipient very sick.  Please see an explanation here: https://www.ivf1.com/iui-intrauterine-insemination/; there is a section which reviews sperm washing.

I think any sort of intervention would be better done by an RE. 

DOR and AMA
    2/12-5/12: 4 IUI cycles = all BFN;
    7/12: DE IVF # 1 (with ICSI)- 20R, 16M, 14F, 5DT of 2 blasts; 6 frosties = BFN;
    Lupus anticoagulant initially high, then found to be normal on hematology consult;
    Follow up testing in September all clear;
    Started synthroid for "high normal" TSH;
    FET # 1- late October 2012- BFP on FRER; beta # 1- 21(low), beta # 2- 48 (still low), beta # 3- 132, beta # 4- 1,293; beta # 5- 5,606; last beta- over 100,000. First u/s 11/21- heard heartbeat
    12/12- Officially an OB patient!
    Level 2 ultrasound at 20 weeks shows vasa previa and VCI
    Referral to MFM and mandatory c section for delivery
    Beautiful baby girl born at 34 weeks
    Finally home after 15 day NICU stay!
    Trying for sibling: FET # 2- May 2014; beta 5/31, BFN
    FET #3, early July 2014; beta 7/14, BFN
    DE IVF # 2- August 2014; 14R, 13M, 11F, 5dt of 2 blasts (3 AA), 5 frosties = BFN
    FET #4- December 2014, yet another BFN

Dr. KK work up shows borderline uterine blood flow, elevated NK cells, and MTHFR mutation (homozygous for c677t)

Added baby aspirin, prednisone, supplements, Metanx, and intralipids

Switched to large clinic for final attempt; had endometrial receptivity testing in January; FET March 2015 = yet another BFN

Likely OAD- NBC

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"