Food Allergy
Options

Looking for advice on baking gluten free cookies

Hello Ladies! I have no experience in making anything gluten free so I am in need of some help.  My best friend is having a baby shower on Sunday and for favors we made mason jar M&M cookies (all the dry cookie ingredients layered in a jar...very cute!) There are several guests that have Celiac/gluten intolerance and we would like to adapt the recipe so it is safe for them.  I have made sure all the ingredients are gluten free.  My problem is the AP flour.....what do I replace it with?  What type of flour have you found to bake the best and do I need to add anything else to the recipe? Can I replace the AP flour with an equal amount of gluten free flour? Thank you so much for any help you can give me!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
TTC# 1 since 5/10
Me:34 Type 1 Diabetes, Ankylosing Spondylitis, Hypothyroid DH:35 Perfect
DX: Unexplained IF
Many IUI's with various meds all BFFN
IVF #1 11/11 canceled due to OHSS
IVF #2 Feb/March 2012 ET of 2 on day 3 4/7 BFP! 5/1 u/s blighted ovum
IVF #3 July 2012 ET of 3 on day 3 7/24 BFP!
Healthy baby girl born at 36w4d on 3/9/13

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
TTC #2
IVF #4 May/June 2014 ER 6/4 18R 8M 8F ET 6/9 1 blast, 2 frosties
Beta 6/18 BFFN

FET of 2 blasts 7/24...BFP!
Healthy baby girl born at 36w3d on 3/17/15

TTC#3
IVF #5 June 2018- PGS planned, no surviving embryos
IVF #6 August 2018- ET of 2 on day 3 - Chemical pregnancy
IVF #7 August 2019-....?

Re: Looking for advice on baking gluten free cookies

• Options
    I was diagnosed with with Celiac disease 14 years ago and tried tons and tons of flours... Ugh some are awful some rock.  We use bobs redmill all purpose gluten free baking flour for most recipes.  They should turn out great if all other ingredients are gf also!
    Air Force Wife and proud SAHM to baby E, TTC #2 while BFing Uploaded with Snapbucket
  • Options

https://www.livestrong.com/article/296791-how-to-convert-cookie-recipes-to-gluten-free/

Cliff notes version: 1 cup of AP GF flour will replace 1 cup of regular AP flour. Add 1/4 tsp of xantham gum to your dry mix/flour to act as a binder. Without it, the GF cookies will turn out crumbly. Xantham gum is expensive, but a little goes a long way. You can probably gift it to one of the GF guests if you know they like baking. 

That link also recommends doubling the amount of baking powder in the recipe to help the cookies rise better. I'm not sure if this is necessary. Someone else with more GF baking experience might be able to chime in here. 

Met DH - Aug 2001 :: Married - Jan 2010 :: DD born - Sept 2012

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageShazzie116:

Cliff notes version: 1 cup of AP GF flour will replace 1 cup of regular AP flour. Add 1/4 tsp of xantham gum to your dry mix/flour to act as a binder. Without it, the GF cookies will turn out crumbly. Xantham gum is expensive, but a little goes a long way. You can probably gift it to one of the GF guests if you know they like baking. 

This is what I've done when I've made GF cookies.  It works fine.  Bob's Red Mill flour is good, and we also bought the same brand xantham gum. 
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options
    If the any of the guest are highly sensitive, you will need to bleach your kitchen and prep tools before preparing their gluten free take home mixes.  Cross contamination is really bad for some people and plastic tools are the worst for holding onto the gluten from previous use.   
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

You should most likely buy a wooden spoon for cooking Gluten Free.  You don't want to use cooking utensils that have been previously used with gluten (wheat, flour, barley, oats, etc)  Betty Crocker has a gluten free chocolate chip cookie mix, as well as Bob Red mill's has a gluten free chocolate chip cookie mix.  Both are fantastic. 

Here's two recipes for GF cookies:

1 cup peanut butter

1 cup sugar

1 egg beaten

Beat egg, mix in peanut butter and sugar.  Blend well for 2 minutes.  Preheat oven 350.  Make little fork marks on the top of the cookies or add chocolate kiss, and bake for 8 top 10 minutes. 

-----

No bake cookies

1/2 cup peanut butter

1/2 cup milk

1 stick butter

3 cups gluten free bob red mills oats

1 tsp of vanilla

3 tbsp of unsweetened cocoa

1 cup sugar

Put pot on stove.  Put on medium heat.  Add cocoa, butter, sugar, and milk and stir constantly.  Once brought to a boil, boil for 1 minute (rolling boil.  Make sure you stir for 1 minute at full boil or cookies will not form).  Remove from burner and add peanut butter, oats, and vanilla.  Stir.  Scoop out spoonfuls onto wax paper and let sit.  Should firm up within 20-30 minutes. 

Feel free to email/msg me for any other recipes!  I have a ton! (I have a major sweet tooth)....

• Options
    I have a non-celiac gluten intolerance and I LOVE LOVE Pamela's mix! Her baking/pancake mix work in every recipe, I use it straight across for regular flour. It does have a small portion of dried milk in it but as long as no one is allergic to milk you'll be fine.

BabyFruit Ticker AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic          

J14 May Siggy Challenge

**Colleen Donaghy**

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"