January 2013 Moms

toothpaste alternatives?

Toothpaste has been a real problem for me lately.  I've started to use baking soda as an alternative (and it doesn't trigger my gag reflex), but it tastes pretty weird, and its pretty hard to use.  Anyone have other suggestions/alternatives?

TTC #1 Since 8/2010
Me: 34, DH: 35 DX: DOR (FSH 14.9, AMH 0.67, AFC ~10) and Egg Quality

IVF #1 Feb 2012. MDFL protocol w/ Met. 7 ER, 0F.
May Donor Egg IVF cycle:3 EF, 1 blast ET 5/12, 2 frosties
BFP 5/21! beta #1 5/22 306 beta #2 5/24 818 beta #3 5/31 15,038.

image"">
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
"Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting the bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian." --Dennis Wholey

Re: toothpaste alternatives?

• May I ask what about the toothpaste has been problematic?

My SIL has to use certain types of toothpaste because the smell/taste of anything mint makes her vomit.  She often buys kids' flavored paste, like berry or bubblegum.   

BFP #1 26May12 - EDD 27Jan13 - DX blighted ovum 12Jul12 - M/C 2Aug12 
    BFP #2 13Jan13 - EDD 22Sep13 - DD born 20Sep2013!
    BFP #3 23Jul15 - EDD 1Apr16 - 
  • try children's toothpaste maybe?
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Do not use baking soda regularly on your teeth. It will abrade your teeth and cause cavities. It is an ingredient in some toothpastes but there isn't very much in there. Brushing with a wet toothbrush and using a mouthwash with fluoride in it will give you the same benefits as toothpaste (don't rinse after and don't eat or drink for 30 mins after). Or maybe try what PP suggested with kids toothpaste. But plain baking soda every day isn't a good idea. 

Jacob, 1/14/13
  • I would try one of the alternative flavors such as fennel or fruit. I think that the Tom's brand has some non-mint flavors. Is it the flavor or the texture that bothers you?

Visit The Nest!image Visit The Nest!

"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness." - Eleanor Roosevelt

• sekurasekura member
    I don't think its the flavor, because its pretty mild (and I actually like a strong cinnamon flavor right now)--I think its the bubbles.

TTC #1 Since 8/2010
    Me: 34, DH: 35 DX: DOR (FSH 14.9, AMH 0.67, AFC ~10) and Egg Quality

IVF #1 Feb 2012. MDFL protocol w/ Met. 7 ER, 0F.
    May Donor Egg IVF cycle:3 EF, 1 blast ET 5/12, 2 frosties
    BFP 5/21! beta #1 5/22 306 beta #2 5/24 818 beta #3 5/31 15,038.

image"">
    "Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting the bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian." --Dennis Wholey

• I think Tom's or any other natural TP doesn't bubble. And it doesn't need to bubble to make it clean. It just makes it "feel" cleaner.

Jacob, 1/14/13
  • I'm fine this time around, but toothpaste made me super sick with my last pregnancy. I bought lemon flavored toothpaste (I believe it was Tom's of Maine brand) and made sure to spit every few seconds so the foam never built up in my mouth.
    BabyFetus Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I cant do the taste of it either. i use Biotine, it's gentle, it's mild. hope that helps
    I said, "Oh my, what a marvelous tune" It was the best night, never would forget how we moved. The whole place was dressed to the nines, And we were dancing, dancing Like we're made of starlight Like we're made of starlight. ~TS AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Photobucket
  • Tom's natural toothpaste might work for you... I use it all the time :)  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"