School-Aged Children

Moving Son Downstairs!?

Hi Mommies!

I have a 6 year old, 7 in December, and a baby on the way.

Our home is 2 bedroom upstair, 2 downstairs. My question is, eventually I will have to move the baby into the room next to us, which is now my sons room. Once the baby is in his room, we are thinking of moving him downstairs. I, myself am having anxiety about this, my DH tells me he will be okay, but he's still my baby boy.

Bascially, is it mean of me to make him move downstairs at 7 years old?

We have discussed the circumstance with him and he does understand and seems okay with it at times.. but like I said he's still my baby lol

Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Re: Moving Son Downstairs!?

• You know you have to move him downstairs at some point, unless you want the baby sharing his room.  When you bought/leased the house, you probably had this arrangement in mind.

Your DH is right.  It's not "mean" to make him sleep on a different level of the house from you.  I suspect you are being sentimental about the change that's about to take place when the baby comes.  You are holding onto this notion that he's your "baby" because he's about to have "baby" status removed and given to the real baby.  That's the heart of this issue. 

Just make sure he has access to the bathroom, water, kleenexes, and that he knows how to get your attention if he needs you.  My 7 y/o son very occasionally needs something at night, but I would say this only happens once every 4 or 5 months.  The only thing a kid this age usually needs parent attention for is if they are sick or have a really, really bad dream and need to talk about it, but even in these situations, they can hoof it over to my room!

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • No it's not mean.  We have many homes in our neighborhood where the master bedroom is on the first level and all others are upstairs on the second floor.  Your's just sounds opposite.  If you don't want him by himself on the first floor then is it possible to move yourselves to one of the downstairs rooms and have the children upstairs and then you can just use a monitor to hear the baby.
  • Loading the player...
  • I do not think that it is mean. If it would make you feel better, perhaps put a moniter in the hallway where his room is located. That way you could hear if he got up. I would just suggest moving him before the baby is born. Otherwise, the baby will be taking "his spot" as the baby and his room.

Mother of two wonderful boys! Blessed through adoption.

• imagelittlemermaid:
    No it's not mean.  We have many homes in our neighborhood where the master bedroom is on the first level and all others are upstairs on the second floor.  Your's just sounds opposite.  If you don't want him by himself on the first floor then is it possible to move yourselves to one of the downstairs rooms and have the children upstairs and then you can just use a monitor to hear the baby.

Personally this is what I would do.

Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • imageLittlejen22:

imagelittlemermaid:
    No it's not mean.  We have many homes in our neighborhood where the master bedroom is on the first level and all others are upstairs on the second floor.  Your's just sounds opposite.  If you don't want him by himself on the first floor then is it possible to move yourselves to one of the downstairs rooms and have the children upstairs and then you can just use a monitor to hear the baby.

Personally this is what I would do.

This is what our house is like - master on main floor and 3 children's bedrooms upstairs.

imageimage
  • DS is on the first floor and we are on the second.  He has his own bathroom right near his room.  He is now 5 but has been there since he was 2.  We've never had any issues.

Why are you anxious?

• Personally, our LO slept in our room until he was 2.  I'd do that arrangement in your situation especially, and give your DS two more years until he moves onto his own floor of the house.
    Stay at home mom to a house of boys: two amazing stepsons, 12 and 9, and our 4 year old.
  • We have a split entry house with 3 bedrooms on the main level and one downstairs - my DH used to live in a 2 up and 2 down house and we sold it for this very reason.  Right now we are all up but we are planning at some point to move the master to the guest room in the basement (need to redo the bathroom and move the door and some other minor things) and then make the upstairs master a combo guest room/office.  The girls would each be upstairs in their own room.  I would look into doing something like if you can so the kids can both be on the same level or just move your older son downstairs but I would avoid saying that he has to move due to the baby and make it all about how he is such a big kid that he is getting a whole new room and get him very involved in decorating it.  If you are nervous about not hearing him, just use a baby monitor.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"