Military Families

Lansing, MI anyone?

I know it's not a base but DH got that location as a recruiter slot - tell me about the area, or different areas to live and why =) Thanks!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Lansing, MI anyone?

• I live about half hour away from there in a small town. I don't go to Lansing a whole lot, but there's some shopping, and of course the capital.
    About half hour from there, Novi, is really nice. Lots of nice neighborhoods, and again, shopping. (Michigan is economically under distress in a lot of areas, so they just put in a bunch of malls, I guess?)
    However, there's nice places to adventure in Michigan. Recently, my bf, A, and I went up to cadillac (about 2 hous from Lansing) to visit his family. Beautiful area, lots of lakes and parks to see. Sleeping Bear Dunes is on my list of things to do this summer (I shockingly, never have).

And, while you're here, def go to Greenfield Village and The Henry Ford. And, of course, our lakes are awesome!

• imageBrookusCookus:

I live about half hour away from there in a small town. I don't go to Lansing a whole lot, but there's some shopping, and of course the capital.
    About half hour from there, Novi, is really nice. Lots of nice neighborhoods, and again, shopping. (Michigan is economically under distress in a lot of areas, so they just put in a bunch of malls, I guess?)
    However, there's nice places to adventure in Michigan. Recently, my bf, A, and I went up to cadillac (about 2 hous from Lansing) to visit his family. Beautiful area, lots of lakes and parks to see. Sleeping Bear Dunes is on my list of things to do this summer (I shockingly, never have).

And, while you're here, def go to Greenfield Village and The Henry Ford. And, of course, our lakes are awesome!

I'm actually from Shelby Township but had never been near the Lansing area.  I love Sleeping Bear Dunes, it's amazing and I seriously already have plans for a B&B and a couple days of Greenfield Village.  DH is from the south so being in MI means I get to take him to all the places I grew up in...like Cedar Point =)

• Loading the player...
  • imageBrookusCookus:

I live about half hour away from there in a small town. I don't go to Lansing a whole lot, but there's some shopping, and of course the capital.

• Cedar point rocks! I live near battle creek, so not much going on down here. Although, Charlotte isn't far from Lansing and it is a nice area, I don't know much about anything west or north of Lansing. 

make sure to go to warren dunes, too! Best beach on the southern part of lake Michigan! 

• I grew up about an hour and a half west of there :) Right on Lake MI...and have family that lives in Williamston...it's 20ish minutes out of Lansing (dependingon traffic) and is MUCH more rural... seems like a great place to raise a family! :) From what I've heard from my Uncle and Aunt who are there...they have good schools, open space to let the kids run, and a quick trip into downtown Lansing for work :)

Hope this helps! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I grew up outside of Lansing.  The towns on the outskirts of lansing are good, DeWitt(north) is very good, and there's St. Johns (north), Grand Ledge (west), Leslie (south), Mason (south), Okemos (east).  I would prefer to not live in Lansing, but in a suburb.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageimurs8228:
    I know it's not a base but DH got that location as a recruiter slot - tell me about the area, or different areas to live and why =) Thanks!

I am originally from the Lansing area.  I grew up in Delta township which is a very nice area.  I went to Grand Ledge High School and my DH is from Charlotte just outside of Lansing.  The city of Lansing has a city income tax.  Also downtown has many lower income families.  On the outskirts of Lansing many families are more middle and high income.  There are museums downtown that are nice to visit. RE Olds museum and Impression 5 are both fun. Lansing has a baseball team called the Lugnuts.  Okemos is a nice area to shop.  Michigan has a lot of lakes, sand dunes, and many other great outdoor activities.  It has four seasons which is nice. 

As for places to live - the nicer towns are Grand Ledge, Charlotte and Portland (about a half hour drive from Lansing).  There are many smaller towns that are nice like Wacousta, Westphalia, Fowler, Eagle, Mulliken, Vermontville, Potterville, etc.  Some are a little more of a drive, but nice nonetheless. 

When you get to Lansing - for the best Italian food and best pizza - you and your husband should try DeLuca's on Willow St (between Waverly and Logan).  It is a wonderful family owned restaurant.  It was voted the best pizza in Lansing.  Also a small drive from Lansing is the Middleton Diner (in Middleton of course ;) ).  They have a good menu to choose from (nothing fancy, just good food).

If there is anything else you would like to know about Lansing or the area, ask away.  I still visit there multiple times a year, so keep up on what is happening in the area.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"