Baby Showers

Shower Registry...

We are having two baby showers, one with friends and family and another is a work shower. My job throws one for every first time mom.

My question is this...we registered for a few high end items (car seat, breast pump, stroller) and a ton of smaller items, we feel like people aren't going to splurge on the larger items...should we just plan on purchasing those ourselves? Did anyone get large items like this at their shower?

I have a few great coupons (20% off, etc.) and I don't want them to expire waiting for our shower, should we go out and buy those large items now that we have an incentive. 20% off a $200 stoller (jogger) is a great save, we would hate to miss that!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Shower Registry...

• If you really think you won't receive those as gifts and your coupons are going to expire, I'd buy them yourselves and just save the receipts. If you do get one at your shower then simply return it. HTH
  • We registered for large items too...except for the crib/furniture. We have 20% coupons that start this friday and we're using them for those items. Actually 4 big items have been purchased. 3 by family members (i was told) the other one i'm not sure who it was..rather not know...but people can't stay quite lol.
  • Loading the player...
  • ccamccam member

I, personally, would wait.  It might not be the norm, but every single large item was purchased off of my registry, even things I didn't think people would buy.  Guests like to go in on gifts together.  If anything, you could use the coupon, save your receipts and return any duplicates you get at your shower. 

Trying for #1 since May 2010   l   DX ~ Unexplained Infertility June 2011

IUI #1&2 = BFN; IUI #3 = BFP, m/c @ 6 weeks

November '11 ~ IVF#1 ~ ER 11/18 (29R, 17F) ~ 5dt of one beautiful blast on 11/23 = BFP!!

Beta #1 9dp5dt = 116, P4 = 28 ~ Beta #2 13dp5dt = 700 ~ Beta #3 20dp5dt = 9500, P4 = 26

1st u/s 12/27 - hb of 156!! EDD 8.10.12 :)   **TEAM GREEN!**

Sweet baby boy born 8.18.12

Trying for #2

FET #1 - October '13 - c/p   l   FET #2 - December '13 - cancelled :(   l   FET #2.2 - 1.30.14 - BFN

~ More testing - hysteroscopy, endometrial biopsy & more b/w - all normal / negative~

Surprise BFP while waiting on FET #3 ~ beta #1 500; beta #2 1600; first u/s 4/3 - measuring 5w5d, no hb yet!; 2nd u/s 4/10 - hb 132, measuring 6w6d - EDD 11.29.14 :)    **TEAM GREEN!**

Beautiful baby girl born 11.24.14

• BRU always sends out those coupons or hands them out in the store. You could go buy a little item and they will give you a little book of coupons almost 90% of the time.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • sesigssesigs member
    I would personally wait. I am a FTM so I've never dealt with this stuff but in my experience our close family members (MIL, grandmother, aunts) have already contacted my mother to ask about what bigger items we need. I think it would be less likely to expect bigger items from friends or co-workers but you might be surprised!  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • I think it just depends. I have a larger family so they like to go in together on gifts for showers and usually do buy either a larger item or several smaller items. I also found out that DH's family was planning on doing the same thing and my mom decided to buy us a crib and DH's parents are buying us a rocking chair, so I would maybe just wait. You never know or you may get some cash or gift cards that could also go toward the bigger purchase.
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Buy those things you have great coupons for...save the receipt...don't take them off your registry (some people may go in together)...and if you get them take yours back.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"