Toddlers: 24 Months+

WWYD Re: starting potty training

My DS will be 2.5 in July.  I was hoping that he would be ready for PT so that we could do it this summer.  My parenting style is kind and supportive, but no-nonsesnse.  I'd like to throw out the diapers and be bare bottomed or wear underwear during the day and do pull-ups at night and during nap time only.  I feel ready to deal with many accidents and to stay home for much of the first couple of weeks (I am a SAHM).  

The thing is, he isn't showing all of the signs of being ready yet.  He does stay dry for several hours at a time.  He is pretty good at dressing/undressing himself.  He usually tells me when he has a poopy diaper, but sometimes not.  He never tells me when he is wet.  He also doesn't seem to know when he is going pee or poop.  He will sometimes ask to sit on the potty, but won't if I ask him to.  

So, my question is whether I should wait or go for it and see what happens.  I want to make sure that I keep the tone lighthearted and positive.  I don't want to make it harder than it needs to be for him, but I am seriously feeling done having two in diapers (we have a 7 month- old as well)  He is starting a new toddler program two mornings a week in the fall.  He does not have to be PT for it, but it would be nice to have started so that he won't have to start while  he is transitioning.  Thanks in advance for your input!  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker TickerMommy to two angel babies, 6w4d on 10/21/08 and 8w2d on 2/22/09. I still think of you and miss you every day!

Re: WWYD Re: starting potty training

• i am no expert (and also struggling with this!) but I think by 2.5 you shoudl be able to try.  If he's not into it, try again in a few months.  worth a shot!
    Read about my journey through mommyhood -book on Amazon.com: http://amzn.to/nomomjeans imageimageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Vine07Vine07 member

It is definitely worth trying. I personally just did the 3 day method by Lora Jensen. She strongly suggests doing it by 2.5 as later than that they become very set in their ways. We had a great experience so far. We are very newly into it but I stayed home for 3 days with my DD and literally did not leave her side and put her just in undies. She helped me throw out all of the diapers. We are one day 5 of training and the last 2 days she has had no accidents. She definitely still has some issues with pooping but I think that will come with time.

I do still put her in a pull up at night as she consistently wakes up wet in the morning.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • definitely start as early as possible! like pp said, the older they get the harder it becomes to train.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"