Baby Showers

Only 4 gifts purchased from registry...

My Shower is next Sunday and only 4 gifts have been purchased off my registry. Im nervous because I am registered @ myregistry.com so a lot of the items have to be ordered online via amazon etc...

Also when I look at who has visited my registry it's only about 5 people from my guest list  and 3 of whom are my Mother, sister & MIL... :/

Has this happened to you and everything turned out fine? This is my 1st baby.

Thank you! 

Re: Only 4 gifts purchased from registry...

• Everything will be just fine. You'll still have your beautiful baby, even if your friends don't buy you every last thing you need for him!

• Most people procrastinate and will buy last minute. Also, some people will buy things off your registry but not tell the cashiers at check-out in the store and you could end up with duplicates.

Seriously, I would devote myself to not looking at the registry in order to be surprised at your shower, and just be thankful for whatever people get you, whether it was on your registry or not.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Registries are just a "suggestion" anyway... Maybe a lot of people preferred not to have items shipped, and went out and bought them from the store, without them being checked off your registry? Who knows, just enjoy your shower and appreciate what you do get.
    Oct Angel Babies Lilypie Maternity tickers BFP #1- 12/7/11 M/C-12/20/11 BFP #2- 2/14/12 EDD- 10/3/12
  • What do you mean "turned out fine?"  You're still going to have a baby.  Presumably that's why you got pregnant.  What do gifts have to do with everything turning out fine?
  • I've found that many people don't shop online, so that could be part of the problem.  Even so, I registered at Target and people still didn't really use my registry.  We still got a lot of great stuff (tons of clothes) but I have to go out and buy the things that we need that were on the registry but not purchased.  In the end, it'll all be fine.  You'll buy whatever you need that you don't get as gifts, no big deal.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • There could be a few reasons:

1. Guests are planning on buying what's on your registry from actual stores (many people don't like shopping online).

2.  Guests are buying what they want to give you instead of what's on your registry.

Your question is kind of silly because what people gift you has no impact whatsoever on your pregnancy, first or otherwise. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • People bought me and my son things that weren't on my registry, and I actually spontaneous combusted...so no, things did not turn out fine.
  • imagemabenner1:
    People bought me and my son things that weren't on my registry, and I actually spontaneous combusted...so no, things did not turn out fine.

::snort::

I needed that one.

• imagemabenner1:
    People bought me and my son things that weren't on my registry, and I actually spontaneous combusted...so no, things did not turn out fine.

Yes 

Me: 32
    DH: 37
    Married: May 24, 2008
    TTC #2 since: June 2020
  • 1) People like to buy cute stuff like clothes and toys, they don't always follow the registry.

2) People don't like having to have items shipped. If you wanted people to purchase from your registry, you probably should have done some brick & mortar stores.

3) Your shower is still over a week away. My shower is this Sunday (yep, in 2 days), stuff has just now started being purchased off my registry. I expect most people will go shopping tomorrow. 

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageEstwd2:

imagemabenner1:

I like you.  

Thanks! I am in a mood today, and between girls on other board wanting to give their dogs away, girls wanting to host their own shower under the guise of a "BabyQ", and this sheeeeit, I'm done. And I still have 5 more hours of work to go...

• imagemabenner1:

FTW!!! 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • The worst thing maybe you are returning a bunch of stuff. I had to do that with my first since I got nothing but newborn sized clothes (like they wear them for that long) Don't stress, don't over analyze, stop stalking your registry and enjoy the party. 
  • imagemabenner1:

You made me laugh. Thanks! 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image
  • imagemabenner1:

Best response. 

• imagemabenner1:
    imageEstwd2:

imagemabenner1:

I like you.  

Thanks! I am in a mood today, and between girls on other board wanting to give their dogs away, girls wanting to host their own shower under the guise of a "BabyQ", and this sheeeeit, I'm done. And I still have 5 more hours of work to go...

I didn't ask for rude or insensitive comments. Obviously I know the baby will be fine. I meant this is my first baby & experience with ALL of this. I was only looking for others experiences with registry situations.

If you are hormonal today & have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all. Stay off the board with your rude selves. I come on this board for advice NOT Bitchiness... 

• I do although appreciate all of the helpful advice. The main reason I did myregistry.com is that I live down south and my family and friends are all in New England. I know we will be fine and I will appreciate every gift we receive. Yes I will stop stalking my registry...LOL

Thanks 

• Our aunt told us she wanted to see our face when we opened the gift.. but then we had to haul all the gifts across country and that all added up to an expensive shower!  Yes, we appreciated it...
  • imagealidera:
    imagemabenner1:
    imageEstwd2:

imagemabenner1:

I like you.  

I didn't ask for rude or insensitive comments. Obviously I know the baby will be fine. I meant this is my first baby & experience with ALL of this. I was only looking for others experiences with registry situations.

If you are hormonal today & have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all. Stay off the board with your rude selves. I come on this board for advice NOT Bitchiness... 

You are on the wrong board if you want for people not to say rude, b*tchy things to you. It seems like the majority of the women on this board spend their days scratching their forearms like heroine addicts waiting for people to rip to shreds. I think you got off easy, to be honest. Wink

• imagealidera:
    The main reason I did myregistry.com is that I live down south and my family and friends are all in New England.

I'm not sure what what has to do with anything. I do believe that Target, Walmart, Babies R Us, Buy Buy Baby, etc. are nation-wide. 

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker

• imagealidera:
    imagemabenner1:
    imageEstwd2:

imagemabenner1:

I like you.  

If you ask a ridiculous question that is left open for interpretation, be prepared for ridiculous answers. I just had my first baby and shower, but was somehow able to restrain myself from becoming brain dead. Andplusalso, I can go on any board I want, whenever I want, because public forums are just that-public, and not for advice- I still can't figure out how I'm typing this, since I was incinerated suddenly months ago...

• imagealidera:
    imagemabenner1:
    imageEstwd2:

imagemabenner1:

I like you.  

Well, now, who didn't see this one coming?

You're the newbie here...so why don't you NOT tell us to "stay off the boards."  If you're looking for puppies and rainbows, might I suggest www.babygaga.com?

God, and I'm so frickin' sick of every pregnant woman blaming hormones.  If someone is "mean" to her, those people are hormonal.  If she gets butthurt over something small, it's because she's hormonal. 

• imageMandJS:
    imagealidera:
    imagemabenner1:
    imageEstwd2:

imagemabenner1:

I like you.  

I see people (generally newbies, like yourself) mention that this board is for advice and not snark on occasion, but I'm still trying to figure out exactly WHERE it states that... 

Seriously...I see people (generally "oldies" like yourself) writing rude comments to people everyday because you are unhappy with your life you want everyone else to be miserable too.

And I said I COME HERE for advice not that the board IS ONLY for advice. 

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion. " ~The Dalai Lama

• imageCaliVal:
    imagealidera:
    imagemabenner1:
    imageEstwd2:

imagemabenner1:

I like you.  

You are on the wrong board if you want for people not to say rude, b*tchy things to you. It seems like the majority of the women on this board spend their days scratching their forearms like heroine addicts waiting for people to rip to shreds. I think you got off easy, to be honest. Wink

+1 for such a thought-provoking analogy.

• imagealidera:
    imageMandJS:
    imagealidera:
    imagemabenner1:
    imageEstwd2:

imagemabenner1:

I like you.  

I see people (generally newbies, like yourself) mention that this board is for advice and not snark on occasion, but I'm still trying to figure out exactly WHERE it states that... 

Seriously...I see people (generally "oldies" like yourself) writing rude comments to people everyday because you are unhappy with your life you want everyone else to be miserable too.

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion. " ~The Dalai Lama

Or, we're simply tired of girls acting like they are suddenly entitled to their every whim, regardless of tradition, etiquette, or other people's feelings and sensibilities, just because they got KTFU. 

• imagealidera:

com?pas?sion 
    noun
    1. a feeling of deep sympathy and sorrow for another who is stricken by misfortune, accompanied by a strong desire to alleviate the suffering.

So you want us to have deep sympathy and sorrow regarding your misfortune that only 4 of your registry items have been purchased? 

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker

• IMO the best thing about the registry is the completion discount you get as you approach your due date. My shower is tomorrow (!) and only a couple of gifts have been purchased from the registry, which is fine. People give what they want to give you, and some people have a "thing" that they always give at showers. I know one person where they always give a baby bath or towels, and may not even look at the registry. I'm excited about sitting down on Sunday and ordering all of the things we will still need after the shower (taking advantage of that completion discount) so that I can feel like I'm fully ready for baby. 

OP, even you have to admit that the spontaneous combustion comment was pretty funny.  

• imagealidera:
    imageMandJS:
    imagealidera:
    imagemabenner1:
    imageEstwd2:

imagemabenner1:

I like you.  

And where is the compassion in calling us biitchy?!?!?

• eav2ceav2c member
    Chill. Relax. Stop worrying. People will buy you gifts -- most just wait til the last minute. With that said, not everyone will buy off of your registry nor are they obligated to.
  • OH GOD NO! You are the first person EVER this has happened to! Better start calling your guests and questioning them about wtf is up with this!

And when you're done making all of those calls, go buy stuff yourself for your baby. 

imageimage
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageScout2005:
    imagealidera:
    imageMandJS:
    imagealidera:
    imagemabenner1:
    imageEstwd2:

imagemabenner1:

I like you.  

Didn't he also say "Ask a petty, childish and stupid question, get snarked on the Baby Showers board?"

I'm pretty sure that was him. 

Ha!  I'm pretty sure everything I would have said has pretty much been covered so I'll just sit back with my beer and enjoy he show. 

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• mlangsmlangs member

Lets look up the meaning of the word GIFT next time.

OR... next time just write on the invites what you expect each person to get you.

Are you having a diaper raffle or bring a book not a card deal by and chance?

I mean if we are going to scoff at etiquette might as well do it right.

• I'm sure everything will be fine. Like previous women posted, many people will see something off your registry and purchase it else where.My mother just did this with an item off my list.

Registries are just suggestions but I feel like many stores and even this site advertise them as something that all mothers need or they will not be prepared for the arrival of their child. 

• imageMandJS:
    imagealidera:
    imageMandJS:
    imagealidera:
    imagemabenner1:
    imageEstwd2:

imagemabenner1:

I like you.  

I'm not sure where I was rude here. I just legitimately want to know where it says that the bump is for advice. You come here for advice, so somewhere, you got the impression that was it's purpose. I'm just trying to understand.  And I've actually got a pretty good life going, so thanks, but try again. 

The bump has this posted:

THE BUMP

The inside scoop on pregnancy and parenting

From the creators of The Knot and The Nest, The Bump gives first-time parents the lowdown on fertility, pregnancy, birth, and babies with stage-by-stage advice, stylish ideas, local resources, and interactive tools -- all in one savvy online community. *At The Bump, we aim to connect new parents and parents-to-be, as well as offer them personalized advice using a wide variety of user-generated content and up-to-date community features, including baby blogs, local reviews, checklists, personal profiles, photo galleries, topic-based message boards, and more...

• Don't worry, my baby shower is tomorrow and just yesterday people started buying things. Everyone is probably just waiting until the last minute.
  • Please keep in mind 3 things.  1.  A lot of people do not purchase gifts until a couple of days before the shower.  2.  A lot of people do not like to order on-line (I'm one of those).  and 3. A registry is only a guide and people can purchase whatever they feel like. 

BTW...if you ONLY set up an on-line registry then you basically set yourself up for "registry failure".  In my circle most people like to 'touch" the gift they are buying/giving before they purchase it.

• imagesowingseasons:
    imageMandJS:
    imagealidera:
    imageMandJS:
    imagealidera:
    imagemabenner1:
    imageEstwd2:

imagemabenner1:

I like you.  

I'm not sure where I was rude here. I just legitimately want to know where it says that the bump is for advice. You come here for advice, so somewhere, you got the impression that was it's purpose. I'm just trying to understand.  And I've actually got a pretty good life going, so thanks, but try again. 

THE BUMP

From the creators of The Knot and The Nest, The Bump gives first-time parents the lowdown on fertility, pregnancy, birth, and babies with stage-by-stage advice, stylish ideas, local resources, and interactive tools -- all in one savvy online community. *At The Bump, we aim to connect new parents and parents-to-be, as well as offer them personalized advice using a wide variety of user-generated content and up-to-date community features, including baby blogs, local reviews, checklists, personal profiles, photo galleries, topic-based message boards, and more...

Thank you to The Bump for the informative post. I really appreciate the ADVICE that I receive on the website. I wish that I felt more comfortable posting and seeking advice from the website instead of feeling attacked or ignorant because I seek other people's opinions. It is sad to me that some of the women on here feel the need to be rude or "snarky" because another women isn't as "experienced" as they are. I feel more gratification giving someone positive feed back rather than negative I wish everyone would do the same.

• imagesowingseasons:
    imageMandJS:
    imagealidera:
    imageMandJS:
    imagealidera:
    imagemabenner1:
    imageEstwd2:

imagemabenner1:

I like you.  

THE BUMP

Bless your heart.

If you notice, it says the bump aims to give advice and connect new parents and parents to be.  Not that the new parents and parents to be aim to give advice. 

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• One thing I forgot to mention is some people will look at the registry and buy the item someplace else because of convenience or cost (or they just don't want to put their CC info on-line). 

I agree with the other PP and stop looking at your registry so you can be surprised.  I would not worry.  I didn't even have a registry and got a lot of the things I needed for my first baby.

• imagesowingseasons:
    imageMandJS:
    imagealidera:
    imageMandJS:
    imagealidera:
    imagemabenner1:
    imageEstwd2:

imagemabenner1:

I like you.  

THE BUMP

well played.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"