Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Horizon milk boxes.....

We're flying int'l this weekend & I wanted to get some of those Horizon milk boxes for the flight for DS since they don't need to be refridgerated & I don't have to worry about the hassle of carrying a bottle cooler.  My Target has them, but they had them in the fridge there (the box does say no need to refridgerate so I have no idea why they had them in there).  Is it ok to leave them out at room temp. after they've been refridgerated?  I wouldn't want the milk to go bad... 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Horizon milk boxes.....

• Options
    Which brings up a good point: Why do they not have to be refridgerated? I haven't given one to Ds yet bc the idea grosses me out.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

It takes a special amount of bitch to induce menstruation in another person. - LovelyRitaMeterMaid

Rap Roller
  • Options

They are shelf stable becase they are UHT pasteurized and the carton is speshal.

You should be fine to allow the already refrigerated boxes to go back to room temperature.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I took these on an int'l flight with DD a couple months ago.  They are fine to be left out at room temp after they have been refrigerated.  I recently found some not refrigerated at Kroger in the organic section (not sure if that is an option near you).  I had no problems with them going through security or anything, except when coming back to the US through Canada they made me open one of DDs drinks and taste it.  I opted for the juice instead of milk because room temp milk doesn't appeal to me. 
    DD1 - 08.10
    DD2 - 10.12
       #3 - 04.15
  • Options
    I actually just called the company & they said it is NOT safe to leave them at room temp. after they've been refridgerated - once they've been refridgerated they need to stay cool.
  • Options

imagevaleivegas:
    I actually just called the company & they said it is NOT safe to leave them at room temp. after they've been refridgerated - once they've been refridgerated they need to stay cool.

They need to change their product labeling because this is not something you should have to call to find out. I can guarantee you that a lot of people are using the product incorrectly, which is scary considering it is a milk product. Food poisoning from dairy is not fun.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    That's interesting and good to know.  I never called the company because I ended up finding it on the shelf without it being refrigerated but I know several people who have bought it at Target refrigerated and not had an issue with it at room temp.
    DD1 - 08.10
    DD2 - 10.12
       #3 - 04.15
  • Options
    imageRumbleLina:

imagevaleivegas:

They need to change their product labeling because this is not something you should have to call to find out. I can guarantee you that a lot of people are using the product incorrectly, which is scary considering it is a milk product. Food poisoning from dairy is not fun.  

I completely agree!  I wanted to call just to make sure since DS is just getting over a slight stomach bug - I don't need any issues during the flight or on vacation!

• Options

UHT milk (ultra high temperature) is shelf stable but ones it is cooled it should stay cool.  While the idea of drinking room temp. (uht) milk is not appealing to me, it is safe and in many other countries all milk/dairy is consumed at room temp often. We worry about the bacteria in the US more.

UHT isn't much different than regular pasterized milk.  It is just pasterized at a higher temperature and therefore kills more bacteria so it becomes shelf stable.  Once it is opened it should be consumed or returned to the refrigerator because bacteria will begin to grow.

• Options
    I just wanted to mention that they always have them at Starbucks which are ubiquitous at the airport. Just a thought!
    Charlie: Wowing the Masses with His Adorableness Since March 16, 2011 http://operationicingonthecake.wordpress.com/
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"