Trying to Get Pregnant

Acne so bad while TTC!

Hi everyone,

I guess I am looking for some commiseration or words of hope and encouragement right now. When we decided to begin TTC, I obviously had to go off of my Birth Control and stop using Retin-A, which were the two things that had kept my skin looking clear. I immediately was put on Finacea and Clindamycin by my dermatologist (the only two known prescription acne meds that are safe during pregnancy.) I use them faithfully, but they don't work!  Over the past 3 months my face has become such a disaster.  I have the worst acne of my life - it looks like my face is covered in chicken pox!  I have great makeup, but it can only do so much for raised red bumps all over.  I feel so stuck right now, and I just cant wait to get pregnant so that this suffering won't be for naught.  Anyone else having this struggle?

Re: Acne so bad while TTC!

• I can totally empathize.  I quit using Retin-A and Spironolactone, both of which were working beautifully.  I'm now a cystic disaster.  This totally sucks.
  • I have way more breakouts now, my face isn't awful all the time, but I actually have backne now! Sick. I went to the dermatologist and she gave me both those things. I read the inserts and it warned about use during pregnancy so I didn't even bother using them. I just keep hoping that once I finally am KU it will get better, but my doc said maybe, maybe not! Blah. I do have the clarisonic and I do think it helps keep things under control a bit. I hear you girl! 
    Off BCP since 1/12
    TTC since 3/12
    High LH/FSH Ratio 8/12
    DX with PCOS 11/12
    Clomid 50mg - 19.5mm Follie - Trigger + TI = BFP! 11/12
    EDD August 11, 2013 
    DS Born August 14, 2013!

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Yep my face breaks out :- It sucks! I haven't seen a dermatologist or anything about it...but it's no fun.
    Anniversary
    My Blog!
    TTC #1 since 11/1/2011
    Me: 28 DH: 29
    DX: Hypothyroidism (2004) & Possible PCOS (2/2012)
    CD3 b/w: Elevated LH:FSH ratio HSG: All clear! Y-shaped Uterus; SA: Normal
    Round 1 of Clomid (50mg) 8/28-9/1: BFP!
    BFP #1: 9/23/12 Edd: 6/4/2013. M/C 9/28/12 @ 4w4d
    Round 2 of Clomid (100mg) 10/3-10/7: BFP!
    BFP #2: 11/3/12 Edd: 7/16/2013. mmc discovered at 18w2d (our baby girl stopped developing at 15w3d due to Down's Syndrome). d&e 2/15/13
    3/28/13: "quite a few" uterine polyps and scar tissue discovered.
    Hysteroscopy (4/16/13): Polyps, Scar Tissue removed. Septate confirmed & removed.
    Appt with new RE 5/30/13
    Surprise BFP (with no treatment!) 6/30/13
    Our perfect little boy was born 3/11/14 - 9lbs 2oz, 21 1/4"

• I have always had increased acne with changes in BC. I saw a dermatologist prior to TTC and tried RX meds. They didn't really seem to work (or at least not as much as I expected) so I stopped using them. It took some time but eventually my skin regulated on its own. 
    I hope things get better for you!
    image  image
    О Привязать! Z!
    The Science Babies debuted 5/6/14 @ 34 weeks
  • I completely understand

I had horrible cystic acne for many many years, finally went on accutane and coincidentally BC around the same time. My skin was great for several years, and then I went off BC and slowly my acne started returning.  It is AWFUL and I don't know what to do, nothing worked for me except accutane in the past.  

I can only hope that once I do get pregnant some of it will clear up.  

imageimage

image  imageimage
                      imageimage

TTC #1 since November 2011
    Dx: Unexplained Infertility, probable endometriosis
    Feb-April 2013: Femara + TI: BFN
    May - September 2013:  Follistim + Ovidrel + IUI#1-4 = BFN
    IVF # 1 November 2013: transferred 1 perfect blast = BFN
    IVF # 2 April 2014: Endo scrape, transferred 2 blasts = BFP!! (first ever!), CP
    FET #1 June 2014: transferred 2 blasts = BFFN
    New Dx: Repeat Implantation Failure
     IVF # 3 November 2014 = BFP!!  Beta #1 9dp5t 272  Beta # 2 11dp5dt 626
    It's Twins! 
    *everyone welcome*
  • I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one too!  I was on Retin A micro and Plexion prior to TTC.  The farther I get from the point I stopped using them, the worse my skin gets.  I LOAD up the make up now lol.  It's sick how much bareminerals I go through haha.  Using masques is the only things that helps because I don't even want to use over the counter medications w/ benzoyl peroxide and salycylic acid.  I totally feel you on this- it's an emotional rollercoaster TTC and then you have to deal with the emotions of having severe acne on top of it.  Just focus on this: when you do get pregnant you can feel at ease knowing you did the right thing to set him/her up to be healthy and then it's out of your control.  That's way worth it :).  Good luck and I hope you get a BFP soon!!!
  • My face is such an embarrassing pit of nasty right now. I can relate.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • It is horrible!! back, face and a few on the chest.  The BC helped keep it under control but now its a free for all.  I can't stand it.  While i am happy to be ttc and off BC i miss how it took care of my skin and how easy my mc was while on it.  The cramps, mood swings, breakouts, sore boobs the list goes on.  Try an acne control body wash and cream to help I know its not the same as meds but it can't hurt.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I had pretty bad acne and like a PP said, Accutane was the only thing that really worked for me.  Prior to that I had tried 19 prescriptions meds/combinations and nothing worked. I got off of Accutane in July 2009, and got off bcp at the same time. Since that time, I definitely still have break-outs, some of which are horrible.  I have found that drinking a ton of water helps, as does moisturizing, and I also use the Nutrogena wave sonic cleanser which I feel like cleans my face pretty well.  I have been wanting to try the Clarsonic, but just haven't sprung for it yet.  Also, I am not sure what kind of makeup you use, OP, but I have been using CoverFX and I really like it.  It is like $40 at Sephora, but is amazing!

** After  2 1/2 years of Unexplained IF, 2 failed medicated cycles, and 4 failed IUI's - our baby girl came to us through the miracle of
     Mini IVF! **

• Yup. Mine was even worse during pregnancy. Fun times. I haven't found much that helps, sorry.
  • I feel everyone's pain! I, too, had horrible acne pre-BCP. Went on BCP, Retin-A, and Clindamycin around the same time, and my skin cleared up pretty well. Right after stopping BCP/Retin-A/Clinda... to TTC, my skin erupted - ugh.

I specifically searched for pregnancy-safe acne products to try and found a few. (Posted this on another thread, too - sorry for the XP.) I'm currently using a wash and blemish treatment from Belli and LOVE it. I would highly recommend it. I've also done a complete overhaul of my cosmetics, and switched almost completely to paraben-free products. That, combined with a healthier diet and LOTS of water has seemed to help as well. 

BFP #1 - 9/7/12 (my 35th bday!) EDD - 5/15/13 DS born 5/13/13

BFP #2 - 7/5/14 (total surprise!) EDD - ????

BabyFruit Ticker

• imagekari5186:
    imagemndyhywrd:

I feel everyone's pain! I, too, had horrible acne pre-BCP. Went on BCP, Retin-A, and Clindamycin around the same time, and my skin cleared up pretty well. Right after stopping BCP/Retin-A/Clinda... to TTC, my skin erupted - ugh.

I specifically searched for pregnancy-safe acne products to try and found a few. (Posted this on another thread, too - sorry for the XP.) I'm currently using a wash and blemish treatment from Belli and LOVE it. I would highly recommend it. I've also done a complete overhaul of my cosmetics, and switched almost completely to paraben-free products. That, combined with a healthier diet and LOTS of water has seemed to help as well. 

Which Belli products do you use?  I've been wanting to give the brand a try for a while, but I can't seem to find a "system" to order from their website and I don't what to get!  My face looks worse than a 13 year old's, so I need to do something quick. 

I use their acne cleansing facial wash and the acne control spot treatment. I use the wash in the morning and at night, and the spot treatment I use all over at night, and just in spots (if needed) in the morning. 

BFP #1 - 9/7/12 (my 35th bday!) EDD - 5/15/13 DS born 5/13/13

BFP #2 - 7/5/14 (total surprise!) EDD - ????

BabyFruit Ticker

• Ugh, same. I always had small breakouts around my period when while on the pill...wasn't 'til I went off that I realized how much it really was helping! :( No magic products that I know of, I alternate between Neutrogena scrubs and Aveeno clear complexion foaming cleanser. One brand of products that's been great supplements for me is Aveda which is an organic line of beauty products. I use their botanical kinetics toner which has made the largest difference and is so easy to spray where you need it. I also use a clay mask of theirs that helps too. My sister had worse acne during pregnancy, so I'm thinking the deck is stacked against me. :S
    BabyFruit Ticker Anniversary
    Visit CapeCod.Weddings.com Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"