Baby Showers

This seems a little rude.

Got an invite to a shower that requests to "please be sure to stick to the registry to ensure mama to be gets all she needs" I think that was a little forward of them to say you have to stick to the list, also considering the cheapest thing left on the registry is $64.99. I really wouldn't mind spending it if she were a closer friend, but we aren't, and I also got word that I was in the 2nd round of invites that went out when the RSVPs came in from the first group. Should I say "screw 'em" and get what I want, or bite the bullet and spend the $65.

P.S. My DH's advice is to not go at all haha.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: This seems a little rude.

• eav2ceav2c member
    Don't go. End of story.
  • I agree with your DH!  If you do decide to go, get whatever you want. Bad enough that they have an A list and B list for invites, but asking you to stick to the registry (and spend some serious $) is ridiculous- and way more than a "little rude".
  • Loading the player...
  • I agree w/ your DH.  Don't go.  The insistance on the registry, the high price of the items and the A/B list for invites all screams of gift grabbiness. 

red

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I agree with your hubby--don't go. But if you do decide to go, I wouldn't buy off the registry unless you just really want to; you aren't in any way obligated to do so.

Who does A and B lists for baby showers, anyway?? Confused

• 1) Since everything is gone from the registry except for that one item, clearly the mom to be has everything she needs, so feel free to go off registry at this point.  Mom can buy the $65 item if she must have it.

2) I wouldn't hold the directive to buy off registry only against the mom to be so quickly.  I didn't dictate what my two friends who are hosting my shower did.  Ok, TBH they kept running all the details by me - they just want me to be happy which is sweet and thoughful - but I didn't want to be involved in planning my own shower.  So I dropped the hint that I wanted to be suprised.  If they do something that others perceive as rude, it isn't necessarily because I instructed them to do so.

• There is no way I would go!  And definetly don't send a gift.  Or, send something homemade like a knit blanket or hat.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Your husband is wise. Don't go and forget about the gift. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yeah, I wouldn't go either.  Looks like alot of invitees are having that reaction too. If anyone asks, I'd honestly tell them that you kind of resented being told what to buy and how much to spend.
  • Go if you want but do NOT buy from the registry.  Buy her whatever you want to! Its your gift, you get to choose what it is! 
    imageimage
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You've gotten excellent advice.  Personally, I'd decline the invitation.  If I went, I would not reward such rude behavior; I'd make up a little bathtime basket or whatever and call it a day.
  • I would not spend $65 on the shower.  Either go with an off-registry gift or decline.

Since it doesn't sound like you are very close to guest of honor, I would lean towards declining.

• I'm on team "don't go". 
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• There's no way in hell I'd go.  YIKES.
  • I vote for not going.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image
  • ccamccam member

If I did go - I would definitely get something not on the registry just because of that comment, regardless of price.

Trying for #1 since May 2010   l   DX ~ Unexplained Infertility June 2011

IUI #1&2 = BFN; IUI #3 = BFP, m/c @ 6 weeks

November '11 ~ IVF#1 ~ ER 11/18 (29R, 17F) ~ 5dt of one beautiful blast on 11/23 = BFP!!

Beta #1 9dp5dt = 116, P4 = 28 ~ Beta #2 13dp5dt = 700 ~ Beta #3 20dp5dt = 9500, P4 = 26

1st u/s 12/27 - hb of 156!! EDD 8.10.12 :)   **TEAM GREEN!**

Sweet baby boy born 8.18.12

Trying for #2

FET #1 - October '13 - c/p   l   FET #2 - December '13 - cancelled :(   l   FET #2.2 - 1.30.14 - BFN

~ More testing - hysteroscopy, endometrial biopsy & more b/w - all normal / negative~

Surprise BFP while waiting on FET #3 ~ beta #1 500; beta #2 1600; first u/s 4/3 - measuring 5w5d, no hb yet!; 2nd u/s 4/10 - hb 132, measuring 6w6d - EDD 11.29.14 :)    **TEAM GREEN!**

Beautiful baby girl born 11.24.14

• If we're not close friends and I was in a second tier of invites, I wouldn't go.
  • If you haven't already R.S.V.P.'d, then don't go. You don't consider her a close friend, and obviously she doesn't either since you were round two of invites.

If you already R.S.V.P.'d yes, then my advice would be to get her a gift card of what you ideally would have wanted to spend to that store. I'm one of those people that tries really hard to get a gift that a person would really want though! 

• Personally, I'd go. If they're that ballsy with the invites, I'm sure there's more entertainment to come at the shower.

I would shop off-registry, still buy something useful, but not include a gift receipt and possibly remove the tags. Or get something personalized.

• I don't know that I would go. I agree with a PP that said she may not have been the one to specify that, but the hostess could've. If I did I would probably buy things that I knew would be useful like diapers, wipes, shampoos, lotions, etc. You could look to see if she has anything like that specified on her registry and then get the same brands- she will always need multiple of those items!

Good luck!

• I am reading a lot of "don't go" comments.  If you want to go...then by all means do so.  Especially if you have already RSVP'ed yes.   I love showers so I would go if I could.  I also ALWAYS buy off the registry...but if the person wasn't a good friend (just more of an acquaintance) I wouldn't be comfortable spending $65.  I would just buy a gift card to the store where she is registered for $25 and then buy an outfit and a nice book.  I would most likely keep the spending to $50 or under.

It is possible the MTB is not the one who put that on the invite and her hostess(es) thought they were helping her out by putting it on there.  I wouldn't blame the MTB unless you know for sure it was her idea.

• imageScout2005:

More than a "little" rude, on both accounts. Wow.

I'd be declining and spending the $65 on a pedicure. 

I vote for the pedicure! 

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• its rude, but it may not be the mtb's fault...i would be pissed at my host if they did that. if you want to go and get her something there is always a giftcard. i would not feel pressured to stick to the registry.
  • Rude invite + B-list + not a close friend = Say "screw 'em" and don't go!
  • imagesrs5624:

Personally, I'd go. If they're that ballsy with the invites, I'm sure there's more entertainment to come at the shower.

I would shop off-registry, still buy something useful, but not include a gift receipt and possibly remove the tags. Or get something personalized.

I like your style Devil

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would politely send my regrets. Mostly for the A/B aspect of her invite list.

• Maybe she could be on your B-list of Things To Do That Day, and if you discover later that you have the time available, if none of your A-list stuff pans out, then you'll drop by.

Heeeheeeeheeeeeeee!

• mo1012mo1012 member

I would in no way go to a shower when I was invited on a B list. That's obsurd. It's ridiculous that they require you to buy off the registry.

• You could always send her a thank you for saving yourself 65 bucks by putting you on her b list. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Little Man (4 years old---holy cow)
    He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
  • imageRoxyLynn:
    You've gotten excellent advice.  Personally, I'd decline the invitation.  If I went, I would not reward such rude behavior; I'd make up a little bathtime basket or whatever and call it a day.

I think the bath time basket is a good idea! You can never get enough. Plus I wouldn't spend that much on someone I'm not close with. But she may know nothing about the comment. And maybe she found out and had a fit about what they put.

• You're right, it is rude. I wouldn't go. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

Georgia 3/15/2012 Matilda 6/12/2014 TWINS!! Babies 3&4 EDD 11/22/2016
  • I agree with your DH!!!
    Renee- 37 DH - Chad - 39
    2/06 - surprise pregnancy - twins
    3/06 - m/c 1st baby at 6 weeks 
    5/06 -2nd baby had no heartbeat at 14 wks.
    D&E - Bled out. Blood transfusions. Week in ICU - Cheated Death!
    Diagnosis: Blood clotting and bleeding disorder, immune issues, & cervical stenosis
    5/10 - 1st IVF cycle - BFN
    FET - 10/12/10 - BFN
    1/11 - IVF with PGD - BFN
    IVF - May - BFN
    6/11 New RE - fingers crossed!
    9/11 - IVF - 4 transferred
    10/13 - BFP!!
    It's a boy! Clint Michael, Due in June!!!

• sesigssesigs member
    It is very rude to explicitly ask people to only buy off the registry especially if there are only pricey things left on it! You cannot expect everyone to be able to spend $50 plus on gifts. I mean even if you were close sometimes people just don't have a lot of money available to spend! 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • I would probably not go, and then if you feel like it later, send a card with a GC or some flowers when baby is born. *if* you feel like it!
    Callie photo Callie1.jpg
  • I agree with your husband. Don't go
  • Wait a minute here... You didn't make the "A" list for invites and you are still considering going.  That's like saying you are a "back-up" friend. WTF.  I say Hell to the No and don't go. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"