High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Placental Abruption

I had placental abruption with my first pregnancy (luckily my son had minor complications and is perfect now), so they have made me high risk this pregnancy.   Also I was just told I have placenta previa last week (Im now 16 weeks).  Did anyone ever have placental abruption with their first pregnancy and then go on to have a normal pregnancy next time?  

Re: Placental Abruption

• Options

I did not have a complete abruption causing immediate delivery with my first.  I did have previa and chronic abruptions starting at 17 weeks throughout 36 wks.  Rinse and repeat with #2 and now #3 without previas.  Bedrest and tocolytic therapy I believe have helped me have good outcomes against preterm labor.

Probably not what you want to hear but thought I'd give you my stats.  My doctor encouraged me to play the lottery since lightening had hit me three times.

Having a previa does put you at increased risk for an abruption because of the location of the marginal edge near the cervical o/s they will likely do increased u/s monitoring.  Depending on the severity of the previa, they'll limit your lifting restrictions, pelvic rest, etc.  Most previas do resolve on their own and most by 20 wks.  I think mine moved away at around 28. I hope that the previa resolves itself soon and you don't have any more pesky placenta issues.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

I didn't know you could have an abruption and still carry the baby. At what week did you deliver each of your children?

Im hoping this placenta will get itself together soon!  I am on pelvic rest now and scheduled to get an ultrasound monthly. Thanks for the response. The more info I have the better I feel!!   

• Loading the player...
  • Options

imagemelissaegan0701:
    I had placental abruption with my first pregnancy (luckily my son had minor complications and is perfect now), so they have made me high risk this pregnancy.   Also I was just told I have placenta previa last week (Im now 16 weeks).  Did anyone ever have placental abruption with their first pregnancy and then go on to have a normal pregnancy next time?  

What is it? I might of had this. My placenta was separating.

• Options
    Yep, thats it.  Your placental starts to separate from your uterus.  If its just a small separation, Im pretty sure the baby doesn't need to be delivered immediately, but for more severe ones, they deliver right away.
  • Options

Yes, you can have a partial placental abruption.  Normally, when this happens a subchorionic hematoma (blood clot) forms between the placenta and the uterus.  I've had several throughout three pregnancies and it's kind of like the chicken and egg - don't know which caused the other - the SCH creating the abruption or an abruption leading to pooled blood.  Either way - result is the same. 

I get diagnosed with "chronic placental abruptions" and I start having SCH around 7-9 wks that resolves, normally another large separation/SCH around 20 weeks that puts me in the hospital (so far, track record is 3:3) and this time the abruption resolved around 29 weeks.  However, last week I was in the hospital for pre-term labor and they could see the abruption was back. 

Doctors have explained the placenta attaching kind of like a scab and sometimes the edge will lift for whatever reason.  Marginal/edge abruptions are most common especially in previa cases for this reason.  Like a scab, it can reattach and heal.  However, it normally creates a slightly weaker adhesion and they'll continue to monitor you once it heals for this reason.

I think they placenta can still function up to 40-50% abruption but at that point you are at risk for not creating enough amniotic fluid or transferring adequate nutrients to the baby.  This is another reason they'll do extra ultrasounds to monitor baby's growth b/c it can be an indicator of the placenta's functioning ability.

The presence of the blood from the abruption/SCH often causes the uterus to be irritable and contract trying to get the blood out.  My MFM had the same phrase every appointment describing the two ways that the sch would resolve - either the blood passing out of the vagina or being reabsorbed like a bruise (hence the pain and tenderness.)

With my first, I had a partial previa that finally resolved around 7 months and I was able to have a vaginal delivery at 40w3d. Second, was "evicted" at 38w3d due to risk of laboring at home and the u/s showed he was large but he ended up being 7#10oz - not a hefty one but I guess he may have been larger had we stayed till 40.  This time, this little girl keeps trying to come early and I was just in the hospital last Monday stopping labor.  Hoping to make it to 37 wks at least.  However, for some reason with the other two I had preterm labor issues up untl 36 wks and then all symptoms stop once the kid realizes that they are "safe."   All have required bedrest starting around 20 wks, tocolytic drugs like procardia or terbutaline and several visits to L&D.

Wish you the best and hope i didn't give too much info.  Let me know if you have any more questions.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I am curious about this too, since I lost my daughter because of a placenta abruption. I'm afraid to get pregnant in fears of it happening again.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"