Minnesota Babies

Cloth Diapers

Hey ladies!

My husband & I are thinking about doing cloth diapers for our baby (due date on Oct 4).  Do any of you use or will be using cloth diapers?  Which ones do you use?  Do you use any local diapering services that will clean them?  How did you make the decision to go or NOT go cloth? 

Thanks for your help!

Re: Cloth Diapers

• I did clothe for my first son.  I waited until he was 2 months cause they can be so bulky.  I went with the Bum Genius very easy to clean and use.  I will do the same with my second child.  I did it for a year until he went to daycare and they would only use disposables. 
  • We use Do Good Diapers, which is the only service that I know of in the metro. I love them. They very rarely screw up and when they do, they fix it that day. I know that they do offer stripping services for people who own diapers.

Frankly, I hate laundry and don't feel like washing anything else these days. Our normal laundry is enough for me!

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We've used cloth since about 3 months and love it. We primarily use BG 4.0 and elementals, fuzzibunz, and rumparooz for daycare; and flips and fitteds when we are home. The elementals are my favorite for daycare since I don't have to worry about wasting time stuffing pockets, flips are perfect for traveling and using when out and about, and we love the fitteds for their ability to let his skin breath better. All Things Diapers in Blaine would be a great place to check out to get acquainted with different styles and brands, and they do have a diaper service as well. I never entertained the idea of a service but I know it works better for some people.
    image Samuel (Photo by Gruman Photography)

• We have been CDing our LO, and we love it! We use BumGenius 4.0's and they are great. We also use cloth wipes and just throw them in the same load together. The Bump has a CD board and their FAQ has a lot of helpful info. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

In my Think Tank, KM, Porteen + LowePro bags: Canon 5D Mark III / 5D Mark II
    16-35mm 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 24-70mm 2.8L, 50mm 1.2L, 85mm 1.2L, 100mm 2.8L IS, 70-200mm 2.8L IS
    Lensbaby Composer + 0.42x SuperWide, Holga Lens, Speedlite 580EXIIs + PWs,
    Mac LR4 + CS6 + Nik Editing Suite
  • I second All Things Diapers in Blaine.  And this Saturday they have a Cloth Diaper 101 class. Here is their site:

https://www.allthingsdiapers.com/Allthingsdiapers/WELCOME.html 

I know it is a ways up from Eden Prairie, but I really think it is worth it to have someone show you all the options and be able to ask questions.  We have cloth diapered both our girls (except for at daycare) and really like it.

Good luck! 

• I know it's been said before, but I LOVE All Things Diapers in Blaine!  I knew nothing about cloth diapers and they did a great job of explaining everything to me.  They also do a diaper service I believe throughout the entire Twin Cities if that is the route you choose to go, though washing diapers really isn't that big of a deal once you get the hang of it.  Most daycares will do cloth diapers, though pockets or AIO's are the only types they will do; All Things Diapers will even do a cloth diaper presentation at your daycare to educate them on cloth diapers if you ask for it.  One additional nice quality about ATD is that they have a program where you pay $10, plus the cost of any diapers you buy, to do a 2 week trial run of cloth diapering.  At the end of two weeks you return anything you don't want to keep and if you return everything you are only out the $10 investment, vs. a few hundred if you bought diapers outright at first - it's a great way to try out multiple brands/styles of cloth diapers to see what works the best for you and your baby!
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • We are doing a mix of cloth and disposables. We get the cloth through Do Good Diapers, which we love because no cleaning, no stripping, etc. All we do is toss the dirty diapers into the bin they provide and they do drop off and pick up once a week. I'm not sure if they deliver to the EP area, as we're in North Minneapolis.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • They deliver in EP.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks for your info on Do Good Diapers!  I've heard of this service before but am not  really sure how it works. It sounds like you can do 1 of 2 things; either buy diapers yourself (like Bum Genius or something) and they clean them or get diapers and laundry from them without ever purchasing the diapers??

Thanks!

• All Things diapers sounds like a great first step for us!  I'll for sure check them out....thank you!  We are also going to a cloth diapering class at Amma Parenting Center next week so hopefully we can get more info on this.

Thanks again!

• THANKS!  I think I missed the 101 class but Ill check online to see if they have another one coming up!

Thank you so much for your help!

• Nice, I'm totally going to watch this video series.  Thank you!
  • I love the trial run idea!  Part of our hesitation is that we don't know how much work it is to have a newborn so we hate to sign up for more work when we don't even know how much we are getting into :)  A 2 week trial period is ideal!!

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"