Minnesota Babies

Water Birth at Abbott Northwest

Has anyone done a water birth at Abbott NW?  My husband and I are looking at NW and Southdale but are concidering a water birth and they don't do them at Southdale.  Any moms that have done this at NW and have any good or even bad experiences I would really appreciate hearing about your experience. 

Re: Water Birth at Abbott Northwest

• We did a water birth at Abbott and overall had a pretty good experience in terms of our labor. We were with North Metro Midwives, so experiences could differ based on who your physician or midwife is. In general, though, we liked the nurses at Abbott and only had one or two big negatives attached with Abbott - one being that they somehow missed giving our little guy his Vitamin K shot and no one caught it - thankfully our pediatrician asked for proof that he had been given it before circumcising him, so the mistake was caught, but they apologized profusely - apparently they were prepared for us to sue or something with how many people called to apologize and remedy the situation.  Overall, though - the actual waterbirth experience - not bad. 
  • I had a water birth at Abbot, and I wasn't impressed. Everything went fine, especially considering how quick my labors were (< 3 hours from start to finish). But they seemed to be figuring it out as they went. They only have blow up tubs until they open the new birth center, and they didn't pump up the tub enough, so water kept spilling out.  I had a Health Partners Midwife (not the one I saw for prenatal) and she really offered very little support or information. 

My birth photographer, who has had two water births got fed up and finally stepped in and offered some suggestions. I was so grateful she was there. I know they have only offered them since August 2011, and our L&D nurse told us afterward that it was her first water birth.

I would absolutely do a water birth again, I'd just make sure that the person "delivering" had more experience with water births.

Mom to little frog 8/07, Lucky Duck 5/10, & Little Lion 4/12
  • Loading the player...
  • The nurses I had at Abbott were good and were able to let me experience labor and delivery the way I wanted since I was the only person in their unit the day I checked in. I had a water birth when I was pregnant with my son in 2008. I really enjoyed relaxing in the tub, but it didn't help speed up labor for me. I spent 20 minutes sitting in the tub twice during labor. It helped relieve the pain from contractions - I had really strong contractions and did everything I could to avoid an epidural because I hate needles. The last time I was there they had a separate room designated for the water birth and you don't have to stay in the tub the entire time. If I could, I would do it again with my second pregnancy, but we've already decided to deliver at Fairview Ridges because it's closer to home and I've been told the second one comes out like a torpedo (or so the nurses at Abbott said). I would recommend trying the water birth.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't have any experience with NW but I will be delivering at HCMC which has a designated room for a waterbirth on thier midwife unit. It is an actual tub so you wouldn't have to worry about the tub being inflated or not inflated enough. I know HCMC is not everyone's first thought of a place to deliver but thier midwife program is amazing! Good luck in your search for the right birth center for you!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"