June 2011 Moms

Please dont flame me, but I need advice...Pet Related

Two weeks ago we went on a walk in the neighborhood. We ran into some friends at the park and were chatting. A little girl approached us and asked to pet our dog, we allowed her to and then DH said alright, thanks and moved the dog to the other side. She followed him to other side, DH let her pet the dog again and then moved him again to the other side. She then followed him around to the other side and got in his face. He jumped up on her (playfully) and his nail caught her face and left a small cut. When I say small it was literally the size of the tip of his nail. I asked her if she was ok and if her parents were around. They were not (she is maybe 6). Facial cuts bleed so I cleaned her up, made sure the bleeding stopped and then asked where she lived. She couldnt tell me.

The friends (2 different couples) we ran into said they wouldnt worry about it. I felt bad so we hung out for a bit to see if we could follow her home or if her parents would show up, but it finally came time to get home so we left.

Today I got the mail and there is a community newsletter and a special note about a little girl being attacked by a dog in the park and asking for info about the owner and dog. It also asked that owners keep dogs on leashes at all times. The date of the attack does not match up with the date of the scratch. It also says to call the cops. Now I am freaking out and dont know what to do. I dont want to call and say it was my dog because he didnt do anything wrong and how threatening the message seems scares the crap out of me. I know I have 4 adult witnesses that watched everything and would side with me, but I would hate for my dog to get euthenized which is the way the article reads. Would you keep your mouth shut or would you say something...Or could it possibly be another girl and another dog since the days are off a by a few days...Ugh...I did not need this stress.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Please dont flame me, but I need advice...Pet Related

• man...Honestly, if the date of the day your dog scratched the little girl and the date of the "attack" don't match up. I wouldn't say anything.  I don't feel your hiding anything by not saying anything.  But...if you feel convicted to say something about the situation (I wouldn't) you could call and inquire about the incident and do some digging.  Then...if it seems like it was the same incident then maybe bring it up. But like you fear, I'd be careful and tread lightly. 

I have a hard time everytime a kid wanders near to pet my dogs.  Both of mine are wonderful with children but ...you just never know what a kid will say to his/her parents or if they'll provoke/hit/kick/slap your animal.  haha...I almost wanted one of mine to syc (sp?) a little girl today b/c she kept screaming around my son and being a massive PIA! lol

I'd either further investigate or leave it.  Your dog did nothing wrong and you don't want some undue stress!!

image 36weeks in image 36ish weeks out Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageJSanFran:

man...Honestly, if the date of the day your dog scratched the little girl and the date of the "attack" don't match up. I wouldn't say anything.  I don't feel your hiding anything by not saying anything.  But...if you feel convicted to say something about the situation (I wouldn't) you could call and inquire about the incident and do some digging.  Then...if it seems like it was the same incident then maybe bring it up. But like you fear, I'd be careful and tread lightly. 

I have a hard time everytime a kid wanders near to pet my dogs.  Both of mine are wonderful with children but ...you just never know what a kid will say to his/her parents or if they'll provoke/hit/kick/slap your animal.  haha...I almost wanted one of mine to syc (sp?) a little girl today b/c she kept screaming around my son and being a massive PIA! lol

I'd either further investigate or leave it.  Your dog did nothing wrong and you don't want some undue stress!!

Yes  Completely Agree

• Loading the player...
  • Do you know if it is the same little girl? I would try and investigate, but given the several days difference it sounds like a separate incident and I wouldn't get involved, unless you knew something about the incident on that day. I'm sorry!
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Rainbow baby, EDD 7/8/14, missed miscarriage 12/5/13. 
  • I'm siding with the 'leave it be' side...however, what if on another day you are out walking your dog and you come across the same little girl - with one of her parents this time?  Of course, maybe this little girl is a serial 'attacker' of dogs.
  • imageSunidaze:
    I'm siding with the 'leave it be' side...however, what if on another day you are out walking your dog and you come across the same little girl - with one of her parents this time?  Of course, maybe this little girl is a serial 'attacker' of dogs.

I am thinking we are done with neighborhood walks Sad However, honestly I am not sure the girl would be able to pick our dog out. I would have expected more of a description of the dog or the owners. ie. dog, mom, dad, and baby. The way the article is written makes it seem like it was a dog without owners present.

I honestly may call and just say that I dont have any information, but if there was an attack with an off-leash dog I would like more details as we are frequently outside with our son, but may go elsewhere to walk and play.

• Sounds to me that it is most likely a different incident that the sign is talking about. I would let it be, especially since you know that the girl your dog scratched was fine and that it wasn't anything serious or an "attack". 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I agree with everyone above. I wouldn't say anything unless you knew for sure it was talking about your dog.
    ~ Cassie ~

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • imagebutterfly62682:
    I agree with everyone above. I wouldn't say anything unless you knew for sure it was talking about your dog.

Yes  Unless you know it's your dog, I'd leave it alone. Thank God you have witnesses! So sorry that you're in this mess. We live in a suburban neighborhood too, so I can imagine how uncomfortable you're feeling!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • So I just talked to my neighbor who witnessed it and she said it wasnt an attack. Her and her husband said too many things dont match up with the article for it to have been our dog. What I didnt know was that there has been a Coyote hanging out in the neighborhood park, so they think it has to do with that or an actual loose dog. Not a leashed dog and a scratch. Now off to try and get some sleep.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"