Special Needs

If you use a 'picture schedule'--- questions...

Hi ladies--

I think my son would do well with a picture schedule.  And may help him with some of the words he's still missing.  He's making immense improvement but we're still definitely nowhere near his age range.  But I also think this might make him a little more task-based and less "whilly nilly" in the mornings....and evenings.

So -- how did you get started?

Where did you find pictures to do this?  I have the worst clipart on my computer.  Are there sites you recommend? 

Where do you have these posted?

How did you introduce it to LO?

Re: If you use a 'picture schedule'--- questions...

• A great idea one of Nate's therapists told me was to take a picture of him doing the activity or his own "tool" for that activity. For example: a picture of his toothbrush and toothpaste, a picture of the car, a picture of the park you go to etc...You can either laminate them and then use velcro dots or you could get 4x6 picture magnets at Walmart and use your fridge or another metal surface as the 'chart'. we used the fridge magnets for different food choices that I took pictures of.

At school they have the different activities as photos on the door and there is a bright arrow with gummy sticky stuff on the back that they move down the picture list as each activity is completed.

Another thing I have seen is a binder with strips of velcro on the cover. The PECs or pictures are kept inside and you pull out the ones you need and place them on the cover.

WAY 2 Cool 4 School

• One place I get those pictures from is TAP, the autism program.  Since you are in Illinois, I know they have a location in the Chicago area.  I would contact them and ask about getting picture cards. At my location down state they are free in their resource room.
  • Loading the player...
  • My SLP has been a huge help with this. They started it in his speech therapy sessions. They take actual pictures, print them out, put velcro to the back of them and velcro them to the board.

Could you maybe see if your therapist will start it with therapy so he gets accustomed to it, then add it to your morning/evening routines?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It's been years since we've done this, but I can share what we did. I found free pecs pics online-you could google it or whatever-and printed them out myself. I purchased poster board and velcro squares from a local craft store. DS was having difficulty with his morning routine. So I figured out which pictures he needed and cut a strip of poster board and these I ended up gluing on the strip so that he couldn't move them around. He followed the same routine daily. It helped him to get tasks completed on time before school. I had another one for his after school/nightly activities. This one I used the velcro and the rest of the poster board. I drew with a sharpie half-hour time frames and glued a velcro back next to the times and the other part of the velcro to the backs of about 20 or so pecs cards that I had cut out from the printed selection. It had things on it like "snack", "homework", "read a book", "do a puzzle", "play outside", "clean room", "put on pajamas", etc. Some of the items were set a specific times, but other activities he was able to choose. If we didn't have this, he had a bad habit of just lying on the floor doing nothing. I had to engage him into doing things for fun. He had no pretend play when he was diagnosed. We had to sort of teach him how to play.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"