1st Trimester
Options

How long did you wait for first dr appt?

I just found out a couple days ago I am pregnant with my first baby after trying for three years.  When I took the first test (have taken 5 total) it surprised me because the past four months or so we were kind of taking a break from focusing on getting pregnant.  It's just really hard for me to believe it's real and this is giving me a lot of anxiety.  I made my first appt. and I won't see my dr. until I am ten weeks along.  This just seems a decade away with thoughts of ectopic pregnancy, m/c, and if I'm actually even pregnant swimming around in my brain.

Have you had to wait this long- is it normal?  And is this anxiety normal lol??? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: How long did you wait for first dr appt?

• Options
    I had to wait until 8 weeks with my first.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I called them and they made it for 7 weeks.  I Think the anxiety is normal! hang in there
                                                  <3<3Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker <3<3   
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Your worry is totally normal. I got to see my OB when I was 8 weeks with my son, but I'm not going to my first appointment this time until I'm almost 12 weeks. Apparently this is becoming the norm. Had you seen your OB/GYN about getting pregnant? I wonder if they would possibly see you sooner since you tried for quite awhile before getting a BFP.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My docs don't make the first appointment until you're 8-10 weeks. 
  • Options
    ObLaDiObLaDi member

I had a positive home test at four weeks and saw my Dr. at 9 weeks.

The wait seemed excruciatingly long at first, but it sped up as it got closer.

Hang in there! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I had mine just shy of 9 weeks. It is a long wait but worth it because you can see more and hear the HB! The hardest part is waiting but hang in there!

Married my best friend September 4, 2011

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Pregnancy Ticker

• Options

I believe my OB waits until either 9 or 10 weeks....I can't remember and I haven't scheduled my appointment yet just because I know he won't want to see me for several weeks still.  Good luck to you!

ETA:  I seem to remember my OB saying that he waits that long to see pregnant ladies because that's when you should be able to hear the heartbeat and there's really nothing they can do before that other than confirm.

• Options
    Mine was at 6 weeks but that is because we were working with a RE. My first appt with the OB will be at 9 weeks.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    10wks is pretty standard unless you've had a pregnancy loss.
    I had a 10wk appt with my 1st pregnancy. Had the 10wk appt scheduled with my 2nd pregnancy but had a m/c before we made it to that appt.
    This pregnancy I have a viability u/s scheduled for 6/7wks bc of our previous m/c.
    CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
    1/1 Spotting, 1/3 beta 36,000, 1/5 u/s empty sac measuring 7w (9w5d), 1/6 d&c
    You will always be loved & missed our sweet angel.
  • Options

*Lurking*

When i got PG with my LO, I first went to a free clinic (thought my insurance was up but turns out it wasn't) at around 6 weeks... same day I got my BFP to confirm simply because I couldn't believe it. They did a confirmation u/s that same day but of course couldn't find a HB yet, so they made an appointment with my to come back at around 7 1/2 weeks (at which point they did another u/s and found a hb). My first appointment with my new OB didn't happen until 10 weeks.... I think that's pretty standard.

So I would try not to stress.. but if you really want that confirmation see if there are any free pregnancy clinics near you (especially if they do u/s). I didn't pay a penny for the two u/s I got done

• Options
    I have my first appt next week.
  • Options

From the time I found out until my first appointment it'll be exactly a month. So that'll put me at 9 weeks or so...

This is my second and I, again, have the same anxieties as you. You're not alone!!

If you knew how lonely my life has been And how long I've been so alone And if you knew how I wanted someone to come along And change my life the way you've done

Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

pregnancy

Anniversary
  • Options
    All of the above is pretty normal. They usually hold off on the first appointment until the baby's heart beat can be heard... and that sound will assure you everything is going to be okay. With my first pregnancy I had anxiety the entire time about how the baby was doing, etc., then she was born and I was paranoid about everything, it does get easier though. Try to relax. Welcome to mommyhood Smile
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Kie310Kie310 member
    4ish weeks
  • Options
    I go tomorrow so a little over 9 wks. I think 8-12 weeks is pretty normal for a first appointment unless you have a known issue. 
    image Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Reyka9Reyka9 member

For my first pregnancy (I started with an OB) my first appointment was at 6-ish weeks.  Internal ultrasound, etc.

This pregnancy I am seeing the midwives that I switched my care to during the 2nd trimester of my first pregnancy.  My first appointment is scheduled for 8 weeks with a follow-up 8 days later.  No ultrasounds will be performed until 12 weeks. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    sesigssesigs member
    Every doctor is different. I won't see the OB until 10 weeks either but my office does have you come in to see the nurse and do family history and blood work around 6 weeks. I'm definitely with you on the anxiety .... I want to know what going on in there! But honestly, if you're not having severe cramping or bright red bleeding I'm sure everything is going well! 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I was seeing an RE so I had blood tests starting at 4 weeks and then ultrasounds at 5 weeks and 7 weeks. I saw my OB for the first time at 9w5d and had a sonogram. Because I am having twins, I will see her every 4 weeks (with a sono) until 24 weeks when I move to every 2 weeks. 
    Single Mother by Choice. Life didn't work out the way I planned so I did it on my own. IUI #s 1-3, unmedicated = BFN, IUI #s 4-6, 50mg Clomid, Ovidrel = BFN IVF #1: 23R, 20M, 17F. 5 day transfer 2 blasts. 2 Snowbabies BFP 6dp5dt, Beta #1 7dp5dt = 58, Beta #2 9dp5dt = 114, Beta #3 10dp5dt = 187 1st Ultrasound = 5/3, not much to see yet. 2nd Ultrasound = 5/17, TWINS!!! Hospital Bed Rest at 32 weeks due to pre-ecclampsia and severe edema. Audrey Grace, 5lbs9oz, & Lydia Louise, 6lbs, born via emergency c-section on 12/6/12 at 36w1d My IVF Journey
  • Options
    I went at 7 weeks 5 days, so nearly 8. I found out I was pregnant at around 4 weeks and waited to tell my boyfriend (which took 2 weeks!) before making an appointment.
    Lilypie - (KUub)  Lilypie - (x7FR)

Daisypath - (cVUA)   Daisypath - (CnD8)

• Options
    well I found out when I was 4 weeks 5 days and called for an appointment they said around 10-11 for me. This is my first and I am now starting 14 and I am finally going in for my FIRST appointment today- I am with you on the freaking out- I have had medical issues in the past and I cant help but think of everything that can go wrong. Hang in there it will fly by no time and keep your head up :)
  • Options
    Thanks for all the answers everyone- you made me feel a lot better.  I'm just going to focus on enjoying every moment of this pregnancy and if something happens to take this baby from me there is a reason why.  
  • Options

My first appointment is with the Nurse for usually testing and not until 12 weeks.  My first appointment with the doctor isn't until 13 weeks.  I have hypothroydism and thought I would have to go in earlier to get my levels tested.  However, the doctor said take your meds and call if there are any issues.  I wouldn't worry too much unless you have bleeding and severe cramping.

This is my first, so I know what your going through.  Good luck with everything!

• Options
    My first appointment was 7w5d which turned out to be 8w0d but my OB schedules the first between 8-12 weeks and I actually wish I'd waited another week or two. Ultrasounds aren't covered on my insurance so I won't get another one now until 20 weeks and at 8w LO was just a blob - we weren't able to make out arms/legs. If we'd waited until 10 weeks we would've gotten a much better view of LO.
  • Options
    I went in for my labs yesterday and my first appointment is at 6 weeks (next week) with my first ultrasound at 16 weeks....I'm more nervous about waiting so long for an ultrasound that I am about waiting for my first appointment.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"