Special Needs

Brag Day Wednesday

Post those hard earned brags!
WAY 2 Cool 4 School

Re: Brag Day Wednesday

• DS2 was quite vocal and demanding this weekend. "Sit down" complete with pointing. "Be careful Mommy". It is really nice to hear him vocalizing his wants.

And the best thing he did was basically yell at me on Sunday. The church service had just ended and he had used his walker to walk to a section in church. He got tired and said he didn't want to walk anymore so I picked him up (we were on our way out anyway). He got all sorts of mad and started yelling "Walker! WALKER!". OK little buddy! Let me put you down so you can walk some more!  :-)

And I just want to say that it does my heart (and anxiety) good to hear people at church rooting for him and telling him how good he is doing when they see him use the walker (we've only brought it to church twice but is now an every Sunday thing).

• I have to say, that even though it has it's downsides, the iPad is the best purchase we made.

Nate totally floored me a couple of weeks ago when he started to "get" how to do puzzles. (the picture match ones, not true jigsaws) He went from doing two piece puzzles in the Ingini (?) app to being able to do full alphabet and complex scenes in the Tozzle app in about one weeks time. Then, he floored me again with the Zoo Train game that gives the word and you place the letter tiles with the correct letters. 

The bad side is that we have a bit of an addict on our hands. He is always signing Game. We limit it to after dinner and while mommy and daddy have drinks on the deck.  Overall, though it has really upped Nate's pointing and fine motor as well as given me some reassurance regarding his cognitive skills. I thought I would be doing hand over hand puzzles forever and am so glad this isn't the case.

WAY 2 Cool 4 School

• Loading the player...
  • Just told dh this morning that I told ds1 I was proud of him the other day. When I was going through his schoolwork from the past couple of months that his teacher sent home, I came across a math paper. Several times throughout the year his school has a "Principal's Math Challenge" where different grades have to do different types of math problems, 50 of them in 5 minutes. If they get 100% or 95-99% of them correct after completing all of them, their names are put in the school bullitin. Now with autism, timed tests are extremely difficult for DS1. This paper showed that he only had 4 more to complete! They were subtraction problems. I was so proud of him. Especially considering that he started at this school halfway through the year so he didn't get the benefit of practicing all year long. He's great in math, otherwise. Advanced, actually. He gets 100% on all his math assignments. Next year is multiplication tables. We're going to practice this summer. He's known his multiplication tables since Kindergarten, but needs practice with the timing.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • DS was excited to dress himself this morning with a little help from me. He is wearing blue shorts with a yellow strip on the sides and a navy blue t-shirt that says I heart mommy. He does not match today but I will take effort any day.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DS "graduated" temporarily from PT/OT until his surgery in September! The therapists said they couldn't believe that he was the same baby who came in 9 months ago unable to move his foot. I know that once he has surgery it will become a lot harder for him, but for now I am one proud mama :)
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"